Talk

Advanced search

To love my poundland Xmas penguin no matter what my friend thinks?

(51 Posts)
CiritheLionessofCintra Thu 03-Dec-15 13:38:14

Light hearted grin....I think. One of my friends was visiting today and asked where I'd gotten some of my Xmas decorations, particularly a little penguin made of tinsel. When I told her they were from poundland she proceeded to tell me they were gaudy little things! Especially the penguin as poundland decorations were 'bad taste'. shock

Aibu love him anyway? grin

SoupDragon Thu 03-Dec-15 13:41:12

Have to say, I"m with your friend on the penguin.

HOwever, you are entitled to love whatever you like! I am very fond of my Poundland polar bear who is some kind of flocked polystyrene construction.

TheCarpenter Thu 03-Dec-15 13:41:17

He's lovely. You need to name him, and buy his brother for your friend to have and love.

AlpacaPicnic Thu 03-Dec-15 13:41:21

I bought a little halloween bat from Poundland a couple of months ago. He was adorable - his eyes were a bit wonky and it gave him character.
DH went in and bought two more so he could have some friends...

YADNBU!!!

Seeyounearertime Thu 03-Dec-15 13:42:20

Aww he's cute.
YANBU

We went to 99p store to get some bits, we got tinsel and porcelain Santa.
We're happy, our DD is happy, fuck what anyone else thinks. grin

KeepOnMoving1 Thu 03-Dec-15 13:42:37

This looks more like a Halloween thing lol.

CiritheLionessofCintra Thu 03-Dec-15 13:42:38

I was afraid of that, Soup. blush Though he's not...as bad looking in person. grin

CiritheLionessofCintra Thu 03-Dec-15 13:45:56

Carpenter, she's already threatened to squash him! God knows what she would do to a sparkly penguin of her own. shock

Alpaca, there were other penguins in different colours and reindeers...I'm afraid the DC and I will be making another trip for the rest of them. grin

Seeyou, the DC are enamoured with him! I think is because he's a sparkly thing I actually let them touch. wink

Lindy2 Thu 03-Dec-15 13:45:57

I love it. But then I am the owner (well actually my 4 year old is the owner ) of tinsel snowman.
I bet if you told your friend it was from John Lewis or Selfridges she would have thought it wonderful.

CiritheLionessofCintra Thu 03-Dec-15 13:48:41

Your snowman is lovely, Lindy! Hmm, I was thinking about telling her a brand for my other decorations from poundland....just to test that theory. grin

KurriKurri Thu 03-Dec-15 13:50:11

Your friend has no taste.
I have a large astro turf reindeer - he looms over the Nativity - as I don't like to not invite him.

I also have a huge china santa boot thing (from The Range) - I can nearly get my foot in it, I stuff it full of tatty feathery robin ornaments and stick it in the window.

And last Christmas I got some brilliant things from Paperchase -s ort of gaudy tin ornaments - there is a kind of lion wearing lipstick and a very camp reindeer in a waistcoat, I love them.

EatShitDerek Thu 03-Dec-15 13:50:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

squoosh Thu 03-Dec-15 13:54:37

I like him OP.

He looks like a pissed penguin who's been on a festive bender.

You should have told your pal your decorations were from Liberty's and if she gave you £30 you'd pick one up for her the next time you were passing.

Wryip11 Thu 03-Dec-15 13:58:43

your friend sounds like a complete snob. He is gorgeous and I would get one if there was a poundland near me ...

TheBunnyOfDoom Thu 03-Dec-15 14:02:40

Aw, he's cute! I love penguin decorations grin

TheCraicDealer Thu 03-Dec-15 14:04:12

I love a bit of tack sometimes- I love, for example, blingy bikinis. And Xmas and holidays are the perfect times to let your tacky juices flow.

I love your penguin and I might try and get one for my desk.

CiritheLionessofCintra Thu 03-Dec-15 14:12:16

Thanks everyone, I knew she was just being a penguin hater. I'm better she hates him because he's sparkly and fabulous. grin I'm still planning on getting her a sparkly reindeer though. wink

U2HasTheEdge Thu 03-Dec-15 14:13:28

Ohhhh I love him and I need one!

WoodleyPixie Thu 03-Dec-15 14:13:59

well my 9yr old likes him, as we got an almost identical one from tiger last week, also £1.

tomatodizzy Thu 03-Dec-15 14:14:12

If she hated them so much, why did she ask you where you got them from? Was she planning to never set foot in the shop so she could save harming her special decoration senses.....she sounds a bit....crazy!

StrictlyMumDancing Thu 03-Dec-15 14:16:53

I love him. The fact he's from poundland makes it all the better afaic

TheoriginalLEM Thu 03-Dec-15 14:20:40

Do you know what infuriates me??????

When people like the OP go to poundland and buy cute little penguins, useful stocking fillers and things they actually need for around the house.

When i go there, i grab a basket, so full of expectation - i'm lucky if i come out with a packet of fucking pegs!

I have tried!!

Wilko is fab though

CiritheLionessofCintra Thu 03-Dec-15 14:20:57

I'm afraid she loves her brands, tom. She's a self admitted shopping snob and never really buys anything unless it's from an acceptable brand range. Her words. grin

Bluecheese22 Thu 03-Dec-15 14:24:07

I love him!! Think he needs a snowman friend!

rainydaygrey Thu 03-Dec-15 14:25:12

He's not my thing, but neither is your friend! She sounds rude.

She can choose what she likes for her own house, and say something nice or nothing at all about your own decorations fsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now