Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to want to defriend someone on FB

(35 Posts)
Xmaspuddings Thu 03-Dec-15 10:02:08

because I am sick of them spouting their political opinions (kicked off by the vote last night) which happen to be the opposite to mine? They are a work 'colleague' (remote only) and we have never met.

MaidOfStars Thu 03-Dec-15 10:04:23

You don't like hearing opposite POVs? wink

Anyway, either block or unfriendly (the former might be better for work relations).

MoreGilmoreGirls Thu 03-Dec-15 10:05:10

Just hide them in your news feed if that's easier but no YANBU

TheSecondViola Thu 03-Dec-15 10:06:11

Just do it. Why the angst and asking here?

MidnightAura Thu 03-Dec-15 10:06:22

Yanbu

I'm not going near Facebook at the moment. Sick of the shit. I've had one friend say if you don't oppose the bombings unfriend me now. It's also been an excuse for Nationislists to kick off about the referendum result because naturally it's all no voters fault this decision has been made.

Unfriend, it's not worth it!

Xmaspuddings Thu 03-Dec-15 10:06:42

yes wondered if I could hide them...

I don't mind hearing other people's views at all. But I just don't want them rammed down my throat all day long when they are ranting and not actually open to a debate.

WorraLiberty Thu 03-Dec-15 10:07:13

Errrm I think most of us could answer this just by clicking the thread title confused

It's your FB account, therefore you can add/remove whoever you want.

If it's only a remote colleague anyway, they're hardly likely to burst into tears are they? grin

WorraLiberty Thu 03-Dec-15 10:07:34

*Reading the thread title.

TwoSmellyDogs Thu 03-Dec-15 10:07:49

Is this how you handle things when not everyone agrees with you?

Xmaspuddings Thu 03-Dec-15 10:09:37

Of course TSD hmm

APlaceOnTheCouch Thu 03-Dec-15 10:14:25

Well if you only want to read opinions that are the same as your's then obviously you can de-friend them. I don't understand why you'd feel so threatened by reading different opinions and I always prefer to know what the other side of a debate is saying but obviously you feel differently about that.

Gottagetmoving Thu 03-Dec-15 10:19:21

People can express themselves how they wish on their facebook account. If you don't like what they say then delete them - or just ignoring it is an option.

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Thu 03-Dec-15 10:33:56

Im more concerned that people have friends they've never met on FB

OfaFrenchmind2 Thu 03-Dec-15 10:39:17

Unfriend, do not make a song and dance about it! FFS

sparklesandglitterxx Thu 03-Dec-15 10:43:32

people are entitled to different views but if it bothers you hide or defriend

you owe them nothing, its YOUR fb

personally I like to keep idiots on my fb so I can argue with them about political matters ;) and wipe the floor with them

DawnOfTheDoggers Thu 03-Dec-15 10:47:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

manana21 Thu 03-Dec-15 10:49:40

i sympathize - I've resolutely ignored the FB posts of 2 dear long standing friends who love Corbyn, consider all Blairites to be scum, anybody that voted for the bombing to be scum etc, etc. I thought Benn's speech was great, personally, but I wouldn't post it on fb because I respect other people's right to have an opinion without being called ignorant scum, traitors etc etc.

Babyroobs Thu 03-Dec-15 10:53:07

One of my oldest and closest friends spouts a load of political crap on fb, I just try to ignore it as i don't want to upset him by unfriending him. The only ones have unfriened recently were a couple of work colleaugues who post Britain First rubbish day after day.

Boomingmarvellous Thu 03-Dec-15 11:10:50

I've blocked totally my brother in law because of his focus on anti muslin shite. I seriously am rethinking my whole relationship with him, but saying nothing.

I instantly block people who spout political stuff unless it is balanced and fair.

Mostly I don't want anything political on what I consider my safe family orientated space.

Block this person, it's your page, your rules.

lighteningirl Thu 03-Dec-15 11:11:04

I'm befriending and unfollowing those people all the time. FB is quite work based for me so lots of people I don't consider friends but it's good to be able to touch base with. I got ride of several pre and post election the vitriol was just horrific and not what I want or need to hear said about my own loved ones. It's flaring up again with this vote I'm so shocked by the aggression whilst spouting pacifism. I saw the most ridiculous list doing the rounds yesterday which got two people deleted for sheer idiocy (I do the same with Britain first racist posts as well). Why some people feel the need to ram the political views down my throat I don't know. Social Media seems to be the place for a loud minority to try and be the actual majority.

lighteningirl Thu 03-Dec-15 11:13:17

And please feel free to post op if others don't like your post they can just move on past and ignore it I have been wrestling with this issue for a while and am happy to be able to discuss it.

Scarletforya Thu 03-Dec-15 11:14:04

confused What's the dilemma?

Why would it be unreasonable?

WorraLiberty Thu 03-Dec-15 11:46:16

And please feel free to post op if others don't like your post they can just move on past and ignore it I have been wrestling with this issue for a while and am happy to be able to discuss it.

Delicious irony right there! grin

I was unfriended on FB by someone, for expressing (quite mildly) an opposite political view to hers, on the subject of Scottish independence. It did upset me, but it's her choice.

I have a number of other friends who hold similar views to hers, but we have agreed to differ.

But the bottom line is - do you get anything out of the FB relationship with this person, Xmaspudding? If you are getting nothing of value to you from having her as a FB friend, then unfriend her. If, on the other hand, it's useful/fun having her as a FB friend - apart from the political stuff - then hide her from your news feed.

BarbaraofSeville Thu 03-Dec-15 12:45:38

You say you have never met, so am a bit confused at you being her FB friend. Do you talk on the phone all the time?

Either challenge her opinons that you disagree with, unsubscribe from her feed or unfriend her. Don't see the dilemma really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now