Talk

Advanced search

Ocado

(33 Posts)
unimaginativename13 Wed 02-Dec-15 21:12:51

AIBU to throw a little mental strop about Xmas Ocado?

I've used Ocado every week for a year, signed up to Smart Pass etc etc

For their Xmas deliveries on Xmas week they are charging £9.99 a delivery with a minimum spend of £90!

What justifies this? Does petrol increase on the 22nd December? Do they pay their staff more to work a normal Monday or Tuesday?

We usually spend around £50-60 and we are going to family on Xmas day.

So really when I need it the most I'm going to have to venture to the supermarket.

Surely must leave a bitter taste with the regular shoppers?

ofallthenerve Wed 02-Dec-15 21:15:21

That does seem like quite a hike! I went off Ocado pretty swiftly as their fruit and veg was always rancid! Might have been my local one though as I've heard good things from other people. But I digress. Yanbu I don't think.

meditrina Wed 02-Dec-15 21:16:47

Yes, I think it's too high.

And I think they might think that too. I got an email this evening offering wine if I take a paid-for Christmas slot. Which left me wondering if uptake is lower than they had predicted.

unimaginativename13 Wed 02-Dec-15 21:19:30

They had a complete melt down last week and couldn't deliver anyone's shop- so I was told- gave me £25 off my shop.

Just annoyed that it's the one week out of 52 I actually really want their services and I'll probably go to tesco.

I have a 5 week old newborn so I think it's pee'd me even more.

FuckyNell Wed 02-Dec-15 21:21:43

I have never spent less than £90 so it's okay for me. The £9.99 is a bit annoying, but then again, their customer service is top notch and selection of products is top notch. So overall it's worth it for me.

Also due to the bad crash on the m1 today my delivery was cancelled. First time in 5 years, and they gave me £25.

jelliebelly Wed 02-Dec-15 21:22:39

If you pay each month for a smart pass I thought you got a Xmas slot free?

Florin Wed 02-Dec-15 21:22:45

I normally love ocado but they cancelled our delivery last minute today. We had no food left for any of us and I am potty training and definitely can't go and do a supermarket shop with him. They are not in our good books this week.

kissmethere Wed 02-Dec-15 21:23:08

Their fruit and veg is bad so leave that off the shop now. Delivery prices for Christmas are ridiculous.

Holstein Wed 02-Dec-15 21:23:45

It's been like that for years though, at least five.
Even in the terrible snow a few years ago, we received our deliveries.

Holstein Wed 02-Dec-15 21:24:43

jelliebelly- you get early access to christmas slots, but still have to pay the fee.

ofallthenerve Wed 02-Dec-15 21:29:24

Glad it's not just me kiss! I have completely gone off one particular kind of leafy green since I got it from there. Ugh it was just rancid. I shudder at the thought of it.

jelliebelly Wed 02-Dec-15 21:31:40

I've had a smart pass for the best part of 10 years so maybe I'm one of the lucky loyal customers - I've just checked and I haven't got a delivery charge for my Christmas shop.

I love Ocado

SwearyGodmother Wed 02-Dec-15 21:33:39

I've gone off them today because someone hacked my account and spent £1,000 on booze. When I called them about it the customer service person told me they couldn't do anything and I'd have to speak to my bank, though not to worry because they wouldn't take the money until they deliver confused - I just couldn't get her to deal with it, and I doubt it's the first time anyone has had their Ocado account hacked!

I've had to cancel my card which is an utter ballache this close to Christmas, and have had a "I'm glad you could sort it out at your end" response to my complaining tweet. They will never get my custom again.

unimaginativename13 Wed 02-Dec-15 21:49:04

The beauty is they don't take them money until after the shop I never abuse this when I'm skint.

You get a free slot on the 20th I think but not from then onwards. AND you still have to spend £90.

We were left with no formula last week, they had a computer melt down, the guy was very helpful at customer services but the driver basically rung me to tell me to reschedule because he finished at 2 and he was already running behind. Not sure how to take that one.

unimaginativename13 Wed 02-Dec-15 21:54:51

FuckyNell do you not feel if you spend over £90 on shopping with them regularly, what justifies £9.99 a delivery???? In the scheme of delivery charges that is high! Look at most online shops ASOS give you free next day delivery for a whole year for 4p less than that!

It's just a pure money making thing. They only charge £3.99 a month for smart pass.

Also when you return your bags to them they take your word for it how many you say there are, maybe I'll just tell them I've just handed them 200 bags.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Wed 02-Dec-15 21:55:02

On the plus side, since so many people started doing online Christmas shopping the actual supermarekets are mych less busy than they used to be. I get all the fresh stuff from Riverford now, free delivery on Christmas Eve and you don't have to wait in for it. Get all the non-perishable stuff from Ocado before the 20th.

unimaginativename13 Wed 02-Dec-15 21:57:10

I don't want to spend £90 on non perishable stuff and still have to fork out more to actually feed myself!

rainydaygrey Wed 02-Dec-15 22:02:32

Yes but if you get it before the 20th you won't have a £90 minimum spend IYSWIM.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Wed 02-Dec-15 22:04:53

I don't spend £90 plus the Riverford stuff, it's only minimum £40 with Smart Pass before the 20th. Even if I did need to spend £90 I would stock up on cat food, washing powder gin etc, but I really object to the £9.99 delivery charge on top of the Smart Pass cost.

FuckyNell Wed 02-Dec-15 22:05:45

well yes I guess no one likes it much but the positives are so much that it makes up for it.

unimaginativename13 Wed 02-Dec-15 22:09:19

Just read a complaint on their tweets - '50% of my shopping goes off before Sunday'

Jeez I thought IWBU.

The last day for delivery at £40 min. Is the 19th so 6 days before Xmas!

unimaginativename13 Wed 02-Dec-15 22:10:53

What positives that justify 2 months smart pass charges for one delivery?

I would expect that if I was asking for my food to be fresh on Xmas day.

FreeButtonBee Wed 02-Dec-15 22:12:47

I would sacrifice my first horn before i'd give up my ocado delivery. But am in prime leafy sw London so they have it down to a fine art round here. Am happy to pay the Christmas charge personally as I have a mid week pass for the rest of the year which works out cheap as chips with a £40 min spend. All in, it saves me a fortune. I'd run down my staples cupboard and cleaning supplies and then add them to the Christmas order to hit full price. Although I have been know to abuse the tesco/Sainsburys 'money off for first order' vouchers round Christmas for a big booze and basic brand item shop. grin

EssentialHummus Wed 02-Dec-15 22:21:22

I'm with you OP - I love Ocado the rest of the year but feel they are taking the proverbial with this. Last year I just did a bumper order and paid the bloody £9.99, this year I think I'll give it a miss.

Also had my first delivery screw-up from them last weekend: delivery guy phoned me from the ground floor of my building and said I could either meet him halfway up the stairs or he'd take the lot back to the depot. Cue angry call to Customer Services and a voucher grin.

GoneAndDone Wed 02-Dec-15 22:23:09

Their costs go up because they need extra staff for the busy Xmas period.

It's really not hard to spend £90. Get your laundry detergent, loo roll, stock up on batteries, some booze for Xmas or NYE and you're well on your way.

Anyway, you're welcome to shop at Tesco or wherever instead so YABU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now