To start a thread about Friends?

(91 Posts)
SpaghettiBrain Tue 01-Dec-15 22:04:03

Specifically about Ross and Rachel. I just don't think they should have ended up together!

Have just watched most of the series whilst bf my little one and have found myself irrationally irritated by the ending.

When I watched it when I was younger I thought it was so sweet but watching it now he's so childish and selfish. It just doesn't feel right.

Tbh I think Rachel should have ended up with Joey. See link below.

http://www.headoverfeels.com/2013/04/03/unpopular-opinion-rachel-green-should-have-ended-up-with-joey-tribbiani/

Andylion Tue 01-Dec-15 22:06:37

I thought he should have joined her in Paris rather that her staying in New York with him. (She had a job offer, didn't she, or am I am crazy?)

EnthusiasmDisturbed Tue 01-Dec-15 22:06:58

yes yabu

because Friends was and still is tedious

so why waste your time

CakeNinja Tue 01-Dec-15 22:07:33

There is a thread somewhere all about Ross being emotionally abusive. Have a dig around for it.

I loved it when it was in the later series and I was a late teen, and still watch the odd episode now and then, it's absolute tv trash at its finest!

M48294Y Tue 01-Dec-15 22:07:33

Dude, it ended more than 11 years ago. Time to move on?

SpaghettiBrain Tue 01-Dec-15 22:08:58

Yeah I'm just a little late to the party is all!

SalemSaberhagen Tue 01-Dec-15 22:12:29

Can we only discuss programmes made in the last 5 years M48? I must have missed that memo.

Anyway OP YANBU, I didn't like that they ended up together, it felt rushed at the end. And where was Emma!

Disagree about the Joey thing though, the episodes that they were together we're so uncomfortable, it didn't sit right at all.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 01-Dec-15 22:13:34

Oh I love it OP. Always have always will. I now watch it with teen DSes. But no, I'm pleased they ended up together.

G1veMeStrength Tue 01-Dec-15 22:15:18

Whenever the final episode is on all I do is sit and shout 'what about Emma?!!!'.

He should have gone to Paris with them both.

SpaghettiBrain Tue 01-Dec-15 22:17:17

Yeah i noticed the Emma thing too. They have way too much baby free time!

Blarblarblar Tue 01-Dec-15 22:21:38

I'll need to rewatch it but I liked Tag, was that his name? The hot younger intern, he was fun and kind. Ross was a whiney needy prick I'd have got him to fuck.

Blarblarblar Tue 01-Dec-15 22:23:58

Also just such hard work, their whole relationship.

SalemSaberhagen Tue 01-Dec-15 22:35:39

I also always thought the men they went for in the early series were really mismatched with the characters. Half of them looked like they could be their fathers!

MidnightAura Tue 01-Dec-15 22:40:19

I think Emma was going to Paris, it was mentioned Rachel's mum was bringing her over. I agree though that she was an afterthought pretty much after her birth.
I still love Friends! Recovering from an operation so been watching it lately.

I understand why Rachel and Ross got back together in the sense it's perhaps what some people wanted, but I don't know it just felt too unrealistic. Rachel had an amazing opportunity, I suppose Ross would never have left New York because of Ben. (Speaking of which where did he go to?) he's never seen once with Emma and I don't think he's mentioned once after series 7!

Blarblarblar Tue 01-Dec-15 22:42:21

Mmmmmmmmm Tom Selleck I know it's wrong but I just so would.

Ughnotagain Tue 01-Dec-15 22:52:33

Oh my god I haaaaaaate Ross.

Rachel (and Emma!) should have gone to Paris. Without Ross. Bellend.

CrapBag Tue 01-Dec-15 22:57:07

I'm glad they ended up together. It was right. Rachel and Joey never worked together, it did feel awkward.

Emma was with Rachel's mum, she said she was bringing her over.

Don't get me started in the very rushed crappy last episode and the twins that they didn't know we're coming and the twin buggy appearing from nowhere and Chandler lifting the front of the pram carefully for one small sodding step.

I do love Friends but certain things wind me up. Joey's thickness for one. The French speaking episode was beyond tedious. Phoebe was great and irritating as hell at the same time. Lobed her with Mike. Great match. I liked Monica and Chandler together. I always thought Chandler got a rough deal sometimes, I live him.

HunterHearstHelmsley Tue 01-Dec-15 23:02:39

I hated Ross. I was half watching it this morning with my Dad (obviously) and we both thought they should have killed Ross off early on. He is a total jerk.

Bogeybrains Tue 01-Dec-15 23:04:00

YABU. To most people watching at the time, Rachel and Ross's relationship was the heartbeat of the show. Joey and Rachel seemed wrong almost like it was incestuous.

SalemSaberhagen Tue 01-Dec-15 23:07:39

Gah, the French episode.

"Je mappelle Claude"
"Fla de floo, fli".

BUT CLAUDE ISNT A FRENCH WORD SO WHY ARE YOU NOT SAYING IT CORRECTLY.

There are a shit load of inconsistencies, particularly surrounding the Monica-Rachel-Ross-Chandler history pre the season starting.

I do still love it though!

Raxacoricofallapatorius Tue 01-Dec-15 23:08:08

I thought Rachel and Joey were v well done at first. Joey falling in love with Rachel when she was pregnant showed maturity and character growth and Rachel falling for him was similarly well thought out. It was almost like Joey got a spin off and it couldn't work as a plot so they turned it to farce and ruined it on purpose.

Ross was an abusive wankbadger.

SpaghettiBrain Tue 01-Dec-15 23:13:00

Yeah I have to say the whole series was feeling pretty tired by season 10. It all felt bit forced compared to the earlier episodes.

Cutecat78 Tue 01-Dec-15 23:13:31

Paul Rudd was fucking brilliant in friends.

The "socially awkward" evening with Mike and Ross is hilarious have seen it so many times and it still makes me laugh smile

MrsDeathOfRats Tue 01-Dec-15 23:26:54

I do love Friends. Seen them far far too many times. It's like comfort. Like an old oversized jumper.
But Ross makes my skin crawl. Especially in the later seasons. Very annoying. And he seemed to lose his smart angle.
Joey and Rachel both got smarter and then dumber again.
Why did Ross have 2 birthdays? One in September and one in December?

Still love it. Was in love with chandler as a teen!

PiperChapstick Wed 02-Dec-15 00:16:06

Does anyone have a link to the emotionally abusive Ross thread? It was fab I quite fancy reading it again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now