Talk

Advanced search

Should I go back and ask for a refund and warn you all about this product?

(28 Posts)
NayrusWisdom7 Tue 01-Dec-15 21:55:51

More of a WWYD, sorry!
Decided to try the Kiehls midnight recovery concentrate after reading glowing reviews online so purchased it yesterday. Used it for the first time last night, thought it felt lovely.
I woke up this morning with burning, bright red cheeks and the skin is itching and has actually begun to change texture to a bumpy almost scaly feeling. Have applied hydrocortisone 1% twice since this morning and taken the maximum dose of chlorphenamine 4mg but nothing has changed.
Should I take the serum back and ask for a refund as a clearly can't use it? Unsure as I know cosmetics are usually unable to be returned

Blankiefan Tue 01-Dec-15 21:57:23

Definitely return it.

MissFitt68 Tue 01-Dec-15 21:58:20

You read many reviews and none mentioned a reaction to it .... The producers can't get it right for everyone

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Tue 01-Dec-15 21:59:43

Boots have a notice up saying cosmetics can only be returned if faulty, I would guess most places are the same.

Saying that I saw someone return something in Boots which she said had made her skin flare up......but she did know the sales assistant. Maybe they put it out as a sample/tester?

cupcakesarah Tue 01-Dec-15 22:02:00

I'm not sure about that brand, where did you get it from? I know a few brands have a return if you don't love it policy, it's always worth a try. Plus is would be useful to let them know of the side effects you're having, in case other people are getting it too, I hope your skin sorts itself out soon Nayrus.

CakeNinja Tue 01-Dec-15 22:03:16

I don't know what this is, is It a cream of some sort?
I think you've just had an allergic reaction to it, it doesn't sound like a faulty product sadly. I doubt they'd refund it as people can be allergic to All sorts of things.
Hope you recover soon flowers

Alfabetibisgetti Tue 01-Dec-15 22:03:38

Take a photo of your reaction and take it back.
They should refund you and if they don't I'd kick up a fuss with their HO.
Be nice in the shop though. Goes a long way to getting what you want wink

Noeuf Tue 01-Dec-15 22:03:54

www.kiehls.co.uk/female-close/female-close-under-60/midnight-recovery-concentrate/3605975053920.html#tab_ingredientstop

Definitely return it - look at the promise on the page. Tbh I'd check the ingredients ( see link) and work out what I was reacting to.

Blankiefan Tue 01-Dec-15 22:04:44

Given the cost of Kheil's, I'd be surprised if the didn't offer an exchange to something else. Give them a call- or post a picture of your skin on their Facebook wall...

PalcumTowder Tue 01-Dec-15 22:08:13

Personally I wouldn't return it. You've just had an allergic reaction, it's not the shop's fault. I had a severe reaction to suncream in the summer, ended up in hospital. It never occurred to me to return the product. Just make a mental note of the ingredients and chalk it up to bad luck.

Hope you feel better soon.

NayrusWisdom7 Tue 01-Dec-15 22:12:15

Thank you all for your opinions. I will return it with photos of my skin smile I got it from a Kiehls store cupcakesarah, but I think it's also available in the likes of debenhams. It's definitely not a faulty product cakeninja, it looked and smelled absolutely divine, I was just unlucky with it. Looks like it might be the fragranced oils or lavender I'm allergic to - from looking at my usual cream it doesn't seem to contain any of those. Thank you everyone fsmile

Woodhill Tue 01-Dec-15 22:14:17

Return it.

Wolfiefan Tue 01-Dec-15 22:16:26

I returned a pile of Clarins after suffering a bad reaction. They were lovely.

VocationalGoat Tue 01-Dec-15 22:17:07

I love Kiehl's products and especially the Midnight Recovery. But it sounds as if you suffered a severe allergic reaction. I'd be very surprised if they didn't offer you a refund. I am sure they will do so without question.

What a shame. Sometimes, essential oils can be very harsh on sensitive skin. The best Kiehl's product is the Ultra Facial Moisturiser. It's simple and wonderful... nothing harsh.

ShmooBooMoo Tue 01-Dec-15 22:17:49

Kiehl's offers a no quibble guarantee and will refund without issue. Do not keep a product you've reacted to.

thekingfisher Tue 01-Dec-15 22:18:42

I have always had the best service in kiehls store if products are not right and they have always offered a return/exchange without quibble...

zippyswife Tue 01-Dec-15 22:33:40

I've returned several things to boots that have made my skin flare. I've also returned cosmetics I didn't like. There's never been a problem they have always allowed me to
Exchange. Good luck.

KeepOnMoving1 Tue 01-Dec-15 22:37:17

I've used the same cream but my issue with it is that it's completely useless, did nothing for me just cost a lot for no results.

Gunpowder Tue 01-Dec-15 22:38:40

Definitely return it, I bet they'll be lovely. It's not their fault you are allergic to it but it's also not the same as changing your mind about the colour of a lipstick, I'd be really surprised if they wouldn't exchange it at the very least.

tibbawyrots Tue 01-Dec-15 22:48:01

Agree, definitely return it.

SparklesandBangs Tue 01-Dec-15 22:50:19

I have a reaction to quite a few beauty products and have always returned them. However now I explain to the consulatant/shop assistant and ask for a tester sample as it just saves the hassle.

scrappydappydoo Tue 01-Dec-15 22:54:13

Ouch that doesn't sound good. You can try to return I suppose but check the instructions as most creams and things say to try a patch test first so
I don't know if they'll use that as a reason not to accept.

helloelo Tue 01-Dec-15 22:59:25

Kiehls are very good with customer service, I bet they will be mortified and find a way to satisfy you. I have received hand written thank you notes before (for my visit to a store) and once they let me exchange a product that did nothing to me after a few weeks use. Brilliant. Try the hydro plumping serum or their normal hair conditioner.

AliceInUnderpants Tue 01-Dec-15 23:09:44

It's definitely not a faulty product cakeninja, it looked and smelled absolutely divine, I was just unlucky with it.

So what is it you are "warning" us about? confused

lorelei9 Tue 01-Dec-15 23:39:26

OP, return, I'm sure they'll be fine.
Zippy, you've returned used products to Boots just because you dint like them? I didn't think they took them back opened unless there was a fault or a problem like an allergy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: