Talk

Advanced search

To be a bit peeved that my friend is bringing her 6yo on our night out

(33 Posts)
sheenaisapunkrocker Tue 01-Dec-15 20:33:41

My friend and I have gone to a gig for the last 2 years running at Xmas, combined it with a bit of a piss up and generally had a great time. We don't get to go out together much, so I was looking forward to our Xmas shindig, but this year she's bringing her 6yo daughter. I'm a bit pissed off to be honest. AIBU?

nilbyname Tue 01-Dec-15 20:37:32

She's bringing a 6 year old to a gig and a piss up??? That's so weird! Does the venue even allow such little children in?

Your mate is totally being unreasonable!

ofallthenerve Tue 01-Dec-15 20:38:27

She's bringing her 6 yo DD to a gig and piss up? Is that not a bit young? I don't think yabu to be a bit annoyed as I'm guessing you'll have to completely change your plans, but if she can't get child care and this is the only way she can come then I guess that's not her fault.

Aeroflotgirl Tue 01-Dec-15 20:38:42

I woukd cancel, does not sound like much of a night out. Having a kid there, totally changes the dynamic.

TurnOffTheTv Tue 01-Dec-15 20:40:17

A real gig? Or a Panto grin that's the only kind of gig they will let a six year old into!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 01-Dec-15 20:41:31

YANBU

I'd change it to a night she didn't have to bring her 6 y o.

RoseWithoutAThorn Tue 01-Dec-15 20:42:23

I'd cancel as well but would rearrange something else to do that's more age appropriate for the child. Perhaps your friend can't get childcare?

whois Tue 01-Dec-15 20:43:32

Um, yeah I think I'd try and et another friend to take her gig tickets and see orriginal friend at home if she has childcare issues.

sheenaisapunkrocker Tue 01-Dec-15 20:45:07

It's a folk gig, (so loads of families) and we have stayed out afterwards. Her DH is at home and could look after DD, but she says her DD likes the music. I'll be limiting my pop intake...

Tartyflette Tue 01-Dec-15 20:46:24

Is it an adults only type of event, thrash metal or similar, or more of a family one? If the former then you are definitely NBU. If the latter, hmmn. Actually, on reflection if it was me I probably wouldn't be very happy about that either.
And is it day time or in the evening? A six year old might get fairly tired if you usually party on till late.
It will obviously completely change your night out and if you were looking forward to the same sort of event as last year I understand completely that you're feeling disappointed. And really she should have consulted you rather than presenting you with a fait accompli. YANBU.

RunRabbitRunRabbit Tue 01-Dec-15 20:46:47

You'll be needing another proper night out then.

sheenaisapunkrocker Tue 01-Dec-15 20:47:36

And my 6yo DS might like it too, but I'm definitely not taking him on my night out (much as I love him!)

Secondtimeround75 Tue 01-Dec-15 20:48:19

I wouldn't go.

sheenaisapunkrocker Tue 01-Dec-15 20:49:03

Yes, it's an evening do. Not sure what is going to happen afterwards; she can't come into pubs with us...

Wolfiefan Tue 01-Dec-15 20:49:57

You say. I'm sorry you don't have any childcare. Another time then.
If she says she wants to take her DD then you say enjoy your family time. See you another time then.

StormBraver Tue 01-Dec-15 20:51:01

YANBU, I'd be annoyed too. Sounds like she is thinking of it as something her DD would enjoy the music at and hasn't really considered the impact it will have on your evening. Can you say something to her?

doublechocchip Tue 01-Dec-15 20:51:31

Have you already bought the tickets?
If you haven't maybe just say to her,
"Aw you two enjoy a nice mum and daughter trip and we'll organise another night out just us no kids so we can let our hair down!"

Or could she possibly be pregnant and not want to tell anyone so is bringing her daughter as an excuse not to drink?

M48294Y Tue 01-Dec-15 20:51:57

I wouldn't go either. Surely it cannot be that difficult to say to a friend "sorry, I was after a grown-ups only night out". Surely?

M48294Y Tue 01-Dec-15 20:52:59

Agree with Wolfiefan. Don't go all PA on her, just say it like it is.

DinosaursRoar Tue 01-Dec-15 20:54:10

So she'll be going home as soon as the gig finishes then? Not staying out going to pubs. Is there anyone else who might enjoy it you know? Get a few others out, make a group of it. They can go home and you can continue with your night.

sheenaisapunkrocker Tue 01-Dec-15 20:54:51

D'you know, you are right M48294Y! I should have bloody said that. She caught me off guard.

sheenaisapunkrocker Tue 01-Dec-15 20:56:25

Cheers ladies. Good advice x

ofallthenerve Tue 01-Dec-15 20:58:50

I wonder if maybe she's pregnant and doesn't want to tell anyone yet and bringing DD is an excuse to not drink...

sheenaisapunkrocker Tue 01-Dec-15 21:05:52

I suppose pregnant is always a possibility...

ofallthenerve Tue 01-Dec-15 21:08:29

Oooooh I wonder if I'm right OP! How exciting if so. Sorry - I clearly have no life of my own... grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now