Talk

Advanced search

To not want to leave workmen in my flat when I'm out.

(5 Posts)
SwearyGodmother Tue 01-Dec-15 13:15:27

Our flat is very stupidly designed so that if lift engineers want access to the control box thingie they need to be in my flat. I'm of the opinion that if they're in my flat then I want to be in it too - emergencies excluded, of course.

The engineer attended for a service inspection today and ended up staying over 2 hours because he chose to do a non-urgent bit of maintenance, which whilst it did want doing wasn't critical. The visits normally take about 20 minutes, so he was here far longer than expected and didn't tell me he was going to do this incredibly long job. I got to the point where I said to him that I was going to have to hurry him along as I had an appointment I needed to attend, so he wrapped up, at a reasonable stopping point, and went on his way. I sent the manager of the lift contract from our residents committee (we're self managed) a text saying that I'd sent him on his way and that he'd have to come back to finish the job as I have a medical appointment to attend. He's come back all guns blazing telling me I should leave him there and go about my day.

So as not to drip feed we do have a random internal door we can lock, thus locking half the flat off from the engineer, but not the other half. The committee chap said I could lock that "for your flexibility" which I hardly think is the point.

AIBU to think that it's my home and therefore I get to choose whether people can be in it or not? And that the committee man is being a bit of a bully?

MatildaTheCat Tue 01-Dec-15 13:21:54

Well if the maintenance can only be done from your flat then access does need to be provided for this. However it seems fair that an appointment that was expected to take, say 15 minutes should take that long if not an emergency. 2 hours is totally different. Does your lease mention this?

The committee man is probably just frustrated because the job isn't complete.

YANBU but also not as accommodating as you could be. Next time be clear on your time constraints.

SwearyGodmother Tue 01-Dec-15 13:27:36

I feel I am being as accommodating as I can be. They booked for an inspection, which should take less than 30 minutes. Had the guy then said that some maintenance needs doing and it'll take 2 hours or whatever I'd have been able to let him know what my constraints were today. If I'd known it was a longer visit when it was booked I wouldn't have agreed to a day when I've got other things going on.

There's nothing in the lease at all about maintenance visits. I know I need to provide access, and am actually very happy to do so as long as they aren't taking the piss (we have had some issues in the past), it just feels that no matter how much I'm putting myself out I'm being told I'm unreasonable for not wanting to leave strangers in my house unattended. Particularly for some unscheduled, non-urgent work.

aginghippy Tue 01-Dec-15 13:31:30

YANBU The committee man is BU. It's your home, you decide. Just because committee man would do that, doesn't mean you have to.

Anyway, it's you being inconvenienced by all this, not the committee man. The lift man will have to come back and you will have to stay home then. The neighbours should be bloody grateful you are letting him work in your flat for everyone's benefit.

Bailey101 Tue 01-Dec-15 13:36:29

I agree - I wouldn't want strangers left in my flat and I wouldn't be impressed at being expected to cater to them at short notice like that. They should be arranging a suitable time, for an agreed length of time and sticking to it.

I would find out in advance how long the job will take and give them a choice of a few times when you'll be available for the specified period.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now