Talk

Advanced search

to be freaking out about my wedding

(22 Posts)
waitingforsomething Tue 01-Dec-15 10:51:57

I am not the freaking out type usually. I'm getting married on Saturday - the weather looks so atrocious I'm worried I'll not get into the venue without my dress getting ruined And my bridesmaids getting cold too.
I'm worried my table decorations which are a bit festive are just going to look tacky.
I'm worried that my children will get sick between now and then and/or will kick off during the ceremony.
I'm just worried it'll be one of those weddings people wish they weren't at because it's cold, wet and looks a bit crap. Why do I feel like this, I know I am being irrational.

PennyPants Tue 01-Dec-15 10:55:20

It's just nerves. Enjoy your big day flowers

CalleighDoodle Tue 01-Dec-15 10:56:20

The only worry to worry about is if it is about marrying the wrong person

lornathewizzard Tue 01-Dec-15 10:57:24

Well, a December wedding was always gonna be cold (assuming you are from UK?). It's just nerves. It'll all work out fine. You'll feel remarkably relaxed when there's nothing else you can do, ie Saturday morning.

Gazelda Tue 01-Dec-15 10:58:16

Don't freak out! Ive no doubt it will be wonderful and filled with many happy memories for you and your DH.

Dont fret about the dress. If it's long, pick it up as you walk. If you have an hauteur, he/she will park as close as possible and will probsbly have a big brolly.

Have your bridesmaids got wraps? Will they be outdoors much? Will you be having photos indoors?

I'm sure the table decs will be lovely. Everyone is starting to get into the festive spirit, so will love what you've planned. And if not, so what! I promise you that those little details will not be the ones you remember in years to come.

You can't do much about the children getting sick, other than cross your fingers. Do,you have anyone that you can ask to keep them entertained?

I truly hope you have a wonderful day.

waitingforsomething Tue 01-Dec-15 11:01:07

thank you everyone. I knew december would be cold and probably rainy I was just hoping for a respite in the rain and wind so I could get in looking nice still!
It is entirely planned for indoors and there is a place to take photos inside.
The owner of the venue has offered to take the baby out if he cries during the ceremony and my daughter will be ok she's a really good girl. I know it'll be fine I just feel so worried about the little things I feel sick!

CMOTDibbler Tue 01-Dec-15 11:05:12

It'll be fine - you can take lovely indoor photos so people won't be cold. If your bridesmaids don't have wraps/boleros you still have time to get something.

Its normal to have worries about stuff at this point. Have a mulled wine and relax!

FadedRed Tue 01-Dec-15 11:13:44

flowers Stop panicking, it'll be lovely!
The table decorations will look lovely and no one will remember or care what they look like anyway, sorry
The weather will be OK, but just to make you feel better, go to a shop that sells decorating supplies and buy some of that thin plastic sheeting you can use to protect carpets etc when decorating (dust sheet), and some masking tape (the paper sticky tape). If it is raining, then you can wrap it around your dress with no risk it will damage it, and 'unwrap' yourself when you arrive at your venue.
The children will be so fascinated by the whole event, they will be angels, and everyone there will compliment you on what lovely kids they are! Maybe a good idea to have someone else primed to bribe with sweets/book/toy to shut them up, if necessary.
Any guest who does not dress appropriately for a December wedding has only themselves to blame for being cold. Not your fault.
Ask a friend to have a few spare umbrella's just in case.
Have a lovely day and let us all know how it went, please? smile

Faye12345 Tue 01-Dec-15 11:24:50

I literally nearly had a breakdown before my wedding and it was amazing! On the morning i thought sod it its my day and all the niggly anxieties went! I hope this happens for you and dont forget its one day your marriage is a lifetime wink

waitingforsomething Tue 01-Dec-15 11:32:23

Thank you. I know deep inside that people are not there because of table decorations and wedding favours. I know because I've never gone to a wedding for these reasons and I can barely remember these details.
I just want everyone to feel like they've had a great day and it was worth the effort and I'm now behaving like some kind of loony about the whole thing even though I have been totally rational until now!
I've also gone and volunteered myself for a speech which I was really up for and now I'm nervous. Ditto re personally written Vows and other additions to the ceremony!

Unreasonablebetty Tue 01-Dec-15 11:38:00

We all worry about this, I got married in July, and I was bricking it that it might rain.
My wedding was 1st July, and by the time I'd actually gotten married I had no make up left on, and my hair had fallen and was stuck to my head and wet..., I'm just telling you that things could be worse!
Everyone worries about it being cold, no one thinks of it being too warm lol.

Please try not to worry, it'll all happen the way it should.

Enjoy your wedding..

JugglingFromHereToThere Tue 01-Dec-15 11:43:04

Aww, I hope you have a great day
Agree with others that everyone is getting festive now it's the beginning of December so that will be lovely. A bit of sparkle is nice in winter months
You could still change your mind on bigger things, like making a speech or not if it's adding to your nerves. And time to let go of most of the little things. It will all be fine fsmile Enjoy having your DC there and don't hesitate to get others to help with them so you can enjoy yourself even more!

LatinForTelly Tue 01-Dec-15 12:05:53

Definitely do your speech! You will be pleased in the future that you had a voice at your own wedding. I'm sure all the rest is just nerves and it will be a great day. If you're marrying the right person, as another poster says, that's really all that matters. flowers

chillycurtains Tue 01-Dec-15 12:07:17

Don't panic. You will have a wonderful time. It will be much better than all those summer weddings that are planned outside and are spoilt by weather. Your's is all planned with December weather in mind. It will be lovely and cozy and warm inside with lovely festive decorations. The beginning of December is the perfect time for festive decorations as everyone is still excited about Christmas. The bridesmaids won't get cold that quickly and your dress can be carried if it's wet or muddy then you'll all be inside in no time.

Relax and just enjoy the last few days with your DC before the wedding. It's normal to get worried but focus on the fact you'll be getting married and celebrating. Congratulations OP. Have a wonderful day.

RedToothBrush Tue 01-Dec-15 12:10:45

If there is one time of year you can get away with tacky its Christmas. Its called kitsch. That's assuming the worst and you haven't got tasteful nailed. So don't worry about it. One way or another its fine.

Warm underwear can be hidden under a surprising number of dresses.

Twinkly lights and warm winter mulled wine make everything seem better than they are when it comes to the weather. That's the type of think people will remember and will show in photos.

YouMakeMyDreams Tue 01-Dec-15 12:17:33

I had exactly the same panics before my wedding in September. I cried real tears thinking everyone would think it was crap.
On the morning of. I woke up had breakfast and realised it was done. There was nothing more I could do and if there were any snags they were no longer my problem. All I had to do was get ready and enjoy myself.
Had a great chilled out morning with my bridesmaids and had an absolutely amazing day.
It's normal you've spent a lot of time and money on this of course you will worry. But honestly it will be fab. You will look beautiful and you will have an awesome day.

specialsubject Tue 01-Dec-15 12:30:03

what makes a great wedding:

a bride (and groom) who look, and hopefully are, happy. So the bride especially needs to be in a comfortable outfit (don't wear silly painful shoes or 19th century underwear).

enough food, suitable drink including a choice for those not having alcohol.

minimal hanging around

music not so loud that people can't hear each other. It is a SOCIAL occasion.

beyond that, no-one really notices or cares.

enjoy your day - I hope it isn't the best day of your life or it would all be downhill after that. It is a one day party, the marriage is the important bit so best wishes for that.

waitingforsomething Tue 01-Dec-15 13:11:28

There is lots of food. My shoes are sensible. It's going to be okay because I'm marrying my best friend.

JugglingFromHereToThere Tue 01-Dec-15 13:19:15

Awww, sounds good waiting
Have a wonderful day flowers

specialsubject Tue 01-Dec-15 17:00:53

sorted!!

(can we all come??) smile

enjoy. Weather is irrelevant.

waitingforsomething Tue 01-Dec-15 17:03:30

I really didn't think I was the type to get worked up about tiny things. People have started buying us gifts from our gift list and now I'm even more desperate that they have a super time! I've just ordered a dome umbrella on next day delivery to keep my hair and make up in tact ( until I start crying anyway!)

JugglingFromHereToThere Wed 02-Dec-15 11:41:35

If you have a nice time then they will too fsmile
Good idea about the umbrella just in case, but you'll only need it for two minutes and then everyone will be nice and cosy and sparkly and twinkly inside star

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: