Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to start decorating the house at 7 months pregnant?

(13 Posts)
CerseiHeartsJaime4ever Tue 01-Dec-15 08:46:21

I only want to paper the hall which is only about 4 ft of wall, and gloss the doors and frames, of which there are 6. Ceilings are high but the rail means I wouldn't have to go high up the ladder at all. Ceilings etc I'd paint and leave to DH because that's the limit of his decorating prowess. There's no hallway furniture to move at all. And the front room just needs a fresh coat of what's on it already, which DH can help with.

I finish work with 7 weeks before baby is due, older child at school so plenty of time. I think it's totally doable but family are adamant pregnant women shouldn't lift a finger - which is nice but doesn't get my hall papered!

CerseiHeartsJaime4ever Tue 01-Dec-15 08:47:34

Sorry, clarification - ceiling would be painted but I'd leave to DH

ChinaSorrows Tue 01-Dec-15 08:48:32

Good god YANBU!!!

If you feel up to it then go for it!

CwtchMeQuick Tue 01-Dec-15 08:50:46

YANBU!!

I moved house and was up the ladder painting at 39 weeks.

Do whatever you feel up to!

ottothedog Tue 01-Dec-15 08:56:07

I wouldnt paint, esp gloss, due to chemicals rather than the work aspect of it

HackerFucker22 Tue 01-Dec-15 08:56:11

Can your partner do it weekends / evenings?

I moved house at 32w but to be fair i mainly dealt with the admin / overseeing side of it all...

My DP is a decorator so I am not "allowed" to so much as lift a paintbrush suits me and he has always done all our homes (3 and hope furniture more house moves)

Just be careful and don't take any unnecessary risks. Remember your centre of gravity will be a bit off kilter.

HackerFucker22 Tue 01-Dec-15 08:57:17

*hopefully no more house moves

ottothedog Tue 01-Dec-15 09:00:51

I'd also avoid stripping old paint

This is just imo. I never paid the slightest attention to any food based rules in pregnancy so not totally paranoid smile mind you, i would want a house painted well before bringing a new baby into it too, so a dilemma

Junosmum Tue 01-Dec-15 09:35:18

We've just finished renovating the downstairs- knocked a wall down, built 2 stud walls, ripped out and fitted a kitchen, painted, wallpapered and fitted doors, door frames and skirting boards. We finished last week and I'm 7.5 months pregnant. I'm decorating the nursery next week. So you are not being unreasonable if you feel up to it! Just listen to your body. I couldn't do any heavy lifting and needed more frequent breaks but it was fine.

CerseiHeartsJaime4ever Tue 01-Dec-15 22:09:03

Ah! Brilliant! A unanimous NBU!

I'm going to do it. I'll just get annoyed sitting here for 7 weeks looking at it the way it is!

I will google glossing in pregnancy because 6 doors will be a lot of paint smell. I wont strip paint but I will sand - I'll use the face masks for that and stage it so its not one huge cloud of paint particles!

Senpai Tue 01-Dec-15 22:34:47

Just be careful with the ladder. My balance was incredibly off while pregnant because my center had been shifted. You might be ok though. smile

I was helping set up the baby room and running around getting affairs in order at 38 weeks. Though the excitement and fun from the baby shower at 38 weeks did trigger labor. grin That's not likely to happen at 7 months though.

PoorFannyRobin Tue 01-Dec-15 22:37:04

OP, have fun -- and congratulations!

CointreauVersial Tue 01-Dec-15 22:48:24

I lose all my interior design taste when pregnant. Every time I've redecorated while pregnant (more than one occasion) I've had to re-do it a few months later.

I painted the dining room a violent shade of turquoise. Then sat down with my newborn, and thought "wtf?!"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now