Talk

Advanced search

To not take our pet back home

(243 Posts)
Teenagecrisisagain Mon 30-Nov-15 12:01:48

We have been having a huge amount of work done in the house for the last few months.

A few weeks ago (when it was very disruptive/dusty/noisy) we asked dm if she would mind having our rabbit till the work is finished. She agreed. He has a big indoor cage and an outside run. Dh dropped it all round to dm

I go there after school drop off to feed him and dh goes through clean litter tray etc when it needs doing. At weekend dm feeds him.

The work is nowhere near finished and our house is an absolute tip atm
Dm has declared today the rabbit has to be gone by Christmas ??? She knows we are nowhere near completion of the work and that we have a house full at Xmas.

Dm in the other hand will be alone in a big three bed house and is complaining she wants her house 'tidy' for Xmas (by 'tidy' she just means no rabbit as house is spotless except for one room where dsis has stored furniture for 2.5 years)

AIBU to just say no? If we don't actually take him home she has no way of getting him back to ours herself and I'm annoyed as we had agreed she would have him till the house was ready?

kateclarke Mon 30-Nov-15 12:05:32

I think that if you possibly can you should take it home.
I would hate to have a rabbit in my house and your mum obviously feels the same

villainousbroodmare Mon 30-Nov-15 12:06:01

Go and get him.

spritefairy Mon 30-Nov-15 12:06:52

Your mums house, your mums rules. If she wants the rabbit gone then it has to go.
Look at animal boarding if you really cannot have it at home

shutupandshop Mon 30-Nov-15 12:06:26

Its your rabbit. Find sonewere else for him to go.

Enjolrass Mon 30-Nov-15 12:07:41

Yabu. Its your rabbit go get it

Mcnorton Mon 30-Nov-15 12:08:00

It's her house so she can say what she likes. it's your pet, your responsibility. Boarding facilities for rabbits exist, you'll have to pay for it by the sound if it. I'm a bit shocked you'd ignore her wishes about her own house. I wouldn't want to fall out with my mum over it

LaurieFairyCake Mon 30-Nov-15 12:08:28

Is she taking him outside every morning to the run? And I guess dragging stuff through the house on the way?

I would find someone who wants to look after him

Poor bun sad

BarbarianMum Mon 30-Nov-15 12:08:18

You don't have to take it home but you do have to move it because she doesn't want it in her house. Think of someone else to ask, or maybe a good, well made outdoor hutch/run as a temprary measure (make sure hutch is well insulated).

Teenagecrisisagain Mon 30-Nov-15 12:08:48

She is fine with him there and agreed happily it's just Christmas seems to be the issue ?

At the moment it wouldn't even be safe for him , too noisy and dusty etc at home and I dont want him scared or unwell etc and dm knew this
He doesn't smell at all as is litter trained etc and changed very frequently. For some reason she's just decided that's it and I can't see how we will get everything done in time! Where his cage goes is not even accessible currently and dm knows this

Teenagecrisisagain Mon 30-Nov-15 12:09:57

I put him in the run in mornings and feed him. At weekends dm just feeds him.
I just can't understand why she agreed and was ok now he has to go before Xmas

Teenagecrisisagain Mon 30-Nov-15 12:10:43

He has never been outside so think he would get too cold. Foxes are an issue round here as well

Arfarfanarf Mon 30-Nov-15 12:12:06

I think really you need to find someone else to look after him.

You're really going to say no mum, I will not take him back until I want to, you have no choice but to keep him at yours and we will carry on coming over to clean him and you will carry on feeding him at weekends and this will continue until we say otherwise, you can't bring him yourself so tough luck...

That's quite unreasonable.

yes, she said she would have him at hers, but did she know how long the work would take? Or perhaps she thought it would be ok but the reality of having to have him, including feeding him is not ok with her after all.

It is your rabbit and ultimately your responsibility. She helped you out. She has given you a date that that help must end. It isn't up to you to say no, she isn't allowed to make that decision because it doesn't suit me. You say ok mum, thanks for helping out, we'll find someone to help us from Christmas.

velourvoyageur Mon 30-Nov-15 12:13:11

YABU, she's doing you a favour and you sound ungrateful for treating it like it's not an inconvenience to her. In the nicest way possible pets are always an inconvenience.
What do you want people to say, that she's supposed to suck it up because she's your mum? Just accept the replies you've had. Sorry OP but you must know YABU?

Baconyum Mon 30-Nov-15 12:13:14

You're missing the point - it's your rabbit so yabu she doesn't have a responsibility to it.

BollocksToThat1 Mon 30-Nov-15 12:12:54

Yep but it's not your mums problem is it? It's yours to sort.

Maybe she's pissed off that you expect her to look after the rabbit over Christmas by herself in her house while you have a houseful over Christmas.

Board it like other pet owners have to.

Teenagecrisisagain Mon 30-Nov-15 12:13:19

Yes she knew how long the work would take she has just decided today that she wants him gone before Xmas knowing full well it will be difficult for us

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Mon 30-Nov-15 12:13:57

Buy a very large hutch and run and put him in the garden. Or, as other people have said, pay for proper boarding for him.

He is your rabbit, why should your Mum now be responsible for him?

Why have you agreed to a 'full house' at Christmas, when you can't accommodate your own pet?

I do think you are being unreasonable. Sorry.

Arfarfanarf Mon 30-Nov-15 12:13:30

oh, and I don't mean you would literally say the words no mum, I will not take him...
but that is basically the message you give if you say no

Teenagecrisisagain Mon 30-Nov-15 12:14:20

She was invited to us for Xmas but has chosen to be alone

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Mon 30-Nov-15 12:15:31

Hmmm -maybe she will be welcoming the peace and quiet??

Arfarfanarf Mon 30-Nov-15 12:15:50

well, that's unfortunate but she isn't obliged to have him. Yes it would be nice if she was willing to, but she isn't so you have to make alternative arrangements for your pet. Can you see if you can find a rabbit 'foster parent'?

Maybe a bunny rescue, see what they might be willing to do for a fee?

Teenagecrisisagain Mon 30-Nov-15 12:16:15

By houseful it's me dh and four dcs plus dsis and dh and dsis mil
Our house isn't that big so it is a houseful and we have invited dm but she refuses to see anyone at Xmas

PurpleDaisies Mon 30-Nov-15 12:16:47

She is doing you a favour by looking after him for as long as she is. If she doesn't want to for whatever reason, that's totally her perogative.

Do any of the local pet shops or vets do small animal boarding?

Arfarfanarf Mon 30-Nov-15 12:17:08

maybe she wants to be alone without bunny duty. Or maybe she is planning to go away.
She doesn't want to carry on having your rabbit at her house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now