Talk

Advanced search

to think Beyonce isn't a great dancer?

(113 Posts)
Ubertwat Mon 30-Nov-15 09:51:23

DD is in a play where her and a few friends do a dance routine to Beyonce's 'Crazy in Love'.

I'm not a fan of Beyonce on many levels and I just don't get why lots of people talk up what a great dancer she is. Perhaps the choreography she's consistently had isn't great but am I missing something?

She seems very heavy footed to me with very little grace and fluidity. All she seems to do is shrug her shoulders up and down, booty pop and whip her head around from side to side.

DD is constantly going on about what a great dancer Beyonce is but I just can't see it. I did dance for many years but I'm no expert so maybe I am missing something.

DannyFishcharge Mon 30-Nov-15 09:58:59

YANBU. She seems clumpy to me. Not that I actually know anything about dancing mind.

PalcumTowder Mon 30-Nov-15 10:01:18

YABU. Bey is the queen of everything.

Arfarfanarf Mon 30-Nov-15 10:01:30

I think she doesn't have a very wide range of dance moves but those she has, she performs adequately.

She just always dances the same. To every one of her songs. Like you say, shrugs, arse and hair. But I think that's all she needs to do in order to get the effect she wants.

Part of the problem may be those heels she always wears. I imagine it is difficult to dance creatively and well on 6 inch heels.

But. <shrug> she sells and that's all she needs to do. She's made a hell of a lot of money out of bouncing around in a leotard. Good for her. If I tried that, it'd register an 8.6 on the Richter Scale.

ButtonMoon88 Mon 30-Nov-15 10:04:44

All I know is that I couldn't do what she does!

LuciaInFurs Mon 30-Nov-15 10:09:45

YABU.

maybebabybee Mon 30-Nov-15 10:12:51

YABU. Beyonce is Queen of the World. Or should be.

Ubertwat Mon 30-Nov-15 10:13:42

Arfarf Yes, that's what I struggle with as well. I was watching a few videos without volume because her voice goes right through me and I was thinking hmm I've just seen this exact same dance in another video!

Ubertwat Mon 30-Nov-15 10:15:34

Palcum and maybe I don't mean to be goady at all but can you please tell me why you think this? I just don't get the hype around her at all.

My DD calls her 'Queen B' which makes me squirm a little inside but she refuses to explain to me why she has this opinion.

maybebabybee Mon 30-Nov-15 10:17:36

uber I just adore her. I can remember being a teenager and feeling like shit about myself and every time I put a Beyonce song on it made me feel better. Still the same now - when I've had a bad break up or I feel a bit pathetic I put her on spotify and it makes me happy.

Just a personal thing really!

raranah Mon 30-Nov-15 10:20:54

One thing she can do is dance.

She is shit though, buys song writing credits.all her songs are ready made.

She did that girls run the world song, that was written by 8 guys and she bought herself a writing credit.

Birdsgottafly Mon 30-Nov-15 10:21:50

If you see her in a show capacity, or on YouTube, then she dances well.

Her style is Jazz Ballet and Hiphop, but she puts her own stamp on it. She trained in Ballet.

If you watch the behind the scenes stuff then you see a wider range of actual dance.

The Music Videos are a performance and as a Performer, she's is one of the best around.

ButtonMoon88 Mon 30-Nov-15 10:24:18

I suppose it's what you look for in an artist...she is a real performer and completely dominates the stage, her songs are huge pop songs that are technically perfect songs in that they all have a catchy chorus and bridge.

She may not be the best dancer, ((but a hell of a lot more capable than me), but there are lots of world famous musicians that have a less than perfect voice, Robbie Williams, Elvis Presley just to name a couple. They are incredible performers and no one would doubt their talent and awesomeness.

Ubertwat Mon 30-Nov-15 10:28:53

Birds Oh yes, it's the live performances I meant, not the music videos because I know they're heavily edited and choreographed.

Leafitout Mon 30-Nov-15 10:33:31

Yabu

FireCrotch Mon 30-Nov-15 10:38:21

Whoa. I take it you've never seen her perform live? She's amazing. I wasn't a fan until my sister dragged me along. Jesus. That woman can dance. For fucking hours too.

RiverTam Mon 30-Nov-15 10:41:24

I read one time that apparently the dance she does in the video for Single Ladies is incredibly difficult to pull off so for that alone YABU.

FireCrotch Mon 30-Nov-15 10:46:45

I tried learning the single ladies dance on the basis that if Katy Brand can do it then so can I. Err... No. I got the pointy pointy floor bit down but couldn't move fast enough for the rest. Still. Provided a laugh for me and some friends. grin

G1veMeStrength Mon 30-Nov-15 10:50:14

Well she's marginally better than me, I suppose.

I never had 'formal' dance training because dance class was £2 a week (which was a lot of money in Nottingham in the 80s) and Brownies was 20p. So I had to go to Brownies, but my friends that did both taught me All The Moves, oh yeah.

SaucyJack Mon 30-Nov-15 10:51:56

It's not my sort of thing. All that stomping around with a pained look on her face just makes me what to phone a midwife for the poor lass.

HeSaysYOLO Mon 30-Nov-15 10:53:01

OP practice the moves yourself and see if your 'training' convinces you otherwise. Being stompy is part if Hip Hop dance. She's not as great as say someone like Ciara, but there are NO other performers as famous as Beyonce that can come anywhere close. Out of interest, who do u rate otherwise?

HeSaysYOLO Mon 30-Nov-15 10:54:29

Apologies OP, mixed you u with another poster re 'training'.

Ubertwat Mon 30-Nov-15 10:56:10

Saucy grin I do also worry that whipping her head around all the time is going to give her a headache, not to mention the risk of her rats tails hair having her bloody eye out.

River The dance to Single Ladies was a knock off from West Side Story

Ubertwat Mon 30-Nov-15 10:59:49

HeSaysYOLO I don't know any other modern singer's dance abilities to be honest. I remember Ciara being amazing back in the early 2000s- is she still around?!

I like the dancer Maymouna.

I only know about Beyonce's supposedly amazing dancing because of DD.

PoppyBlossom Mon 30-Nov-15 11:02:33

You sound quite catty now op. I don't understand what the need is for some people to tear down females, critiquing each attritibute they posess, particularly if they have some self belief in their talents and abilities.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now