Talk

Advanced search

To bin these advent calendars as the chocolate isn't foil sealed

(90 Posts)
DyslexicScientist Mon 30-Nov-15 09:06:07

They were a gift from ex mil but if they are not foil wrapped the chocolate is going to be nasty tasting, probably off and not that healthy right?

PaulAnkaTheDog Mon 30-Nov-15 09:07:59

Not all advent calendars are foil wrapped. If you mean there is foil that's been broken then yanbu. If you mean they didn't have foil in the first place then yabu. It would be quite nasty.

Birdsgottafly Mon 30-Nov-15 09:09:48

Chocolates in a box aren't foil wrapped, so what's the difference?

thelouise Mon 30-Nov-15 09:14:24

It's sacrilege is throw actual chocolate. shock

thelouise Mon 30-Nov-15 09:14:39

**throw away

Junosmum Mon 30-Nov-15 09:17:20

If they have broken foil yanbu. If they aren't supposed to have foil yabu

CasperGutman Mon 30-Nov-15 09:17:57

You would be unreasonable to bin them on the grounds of being "not that healthy" - it's a chocolate advent calendar for goodness' sake!

That said, I would have expected some means of sealing the packaging for freshness. Was the whole thing plastic-wrapped? That would probably do the job as nothing bad will happen in 24 days between opening and eating the last chocolate.

MrsJayy Mon 30-Nov-15 09:22:52

Urm chocolate isnt that healthy dont be silly let the kids have them foil is a newish thing when mine were younger they didnt have foil and some still dont you are being daft.

Snowglobe18 Mon 30-Nov-15 09:26:07

Binning chocolate of any kind is a crime.

BanningTheWordNaice Mon 30-Nov-15 09:32:03

So you're happy to serve people a stew with washing up liquid in it but going to throw away chocolate for no reason? Riiiiight.

SoupDragon Mon 30-Nov-15 09:33:56

not that healthy

Yes, because foil wrapped chocolate is akin to eating a raw carrot.

gallopinghorse Mon 30-Nov-15 09:33:56

yabu and a bit precious. If it wasnt safe they wouldnt sell it.

balletgirlmum Mon 30-Nov-15 09:36:25

My dad has bought personalised advent calenders for his clients. They are not foil wrapped but they are made by a local chocolatier & have a relatively short use by date.

GruntledOne Mon 30-Nov-15 09:38:03

That said, I would have expected some means of sealing the packaging for freshness.

But they will be sealed in their individual compartments, surely. As pointed out, it's no different from an ordinary box of chocolates - if anything slightly more hygienic in that they aren't open to being fingered every time the box is opened.

DyslexicScientist Mon 30-Nov-15 09:43:09

No wrapping what so ever.

Obviously the chocolate is chocolate, but if its gone rancid it could give an upset tummy.

The washing up liquid stu was ecover!

balletgirlmum Mon 30-Nov-15 09:46:00

What is the us by date?

Chocolate won't go rancid because it isn't foil wrapped. The foil is more there so the chocolate pieces don't fall out of the doors.

MerryMarigold Mon 30-Nov-15 09:46:16

No wrapping whatsoever confused. Well, I assume they are covered by the cardboard at least. Not much less than a box of Thorntons.

MerryMarigold Mon 30-Nov-15 09:47:21

How about you eat no. 25 'just to test it's ok' ?

"The washing up liquid was ecover!" grin

GoneAndDone Mon 30-Nov-15 09:49:25

They were always like that when I was a child.

I've lived to the ripe old age of 32 without dying of advent calendar poisoning.

PaulAnkaTheDog Mon 30-Nov-15 09:49:28

Yeah ywbu to chuck them.

Snowglobe18 Mon 30-Nov-15 09:52:28

How do you know they aren't foil wrapped? Have you opened them? If so, I think you should try a few to make sure they aren't poisoned.

Go on. Do it. Do it now.

MrsJayy Mon 30-Nov-15 09:53:39

No packaging ?so just chocolate then confusedif the perferations are intact and the calander is in date chocolate does not go rancid its full of sugar and milk which spoils but doesnt go off chocolate goes whte when its off.

CecilyP Mon 30-Nov-15 09:54:05

No wrapping whatsoever? Surely the advent calendar itself is the wrapping! Doubt there is anything in chocolate that could go rancid and cause an upset tummy. Old chocolate can develop a bit of a patina but won't do you any harm.

MrsJayy Mon 30-Nov-15 09:54:23

Chocolate doesnt go rancid is what i meant

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now