Talk

Advanced search

to think this picture speaks a thousand words.

(12 Posts)
M1nniedriver Sun 29-Nov-15 18:37:34

I saw this picture posted by a friend on facebook. I think it explains a lot of the issues faced by teachers today hmm

Salmotrutta Sun 29-Nov-15 18:39:45

That's been doing the rounds for a while!

Salmotrutta Sun 29-Nov-15 18:40:45

Sorry - that sounded rude blush

There is a lot some truth in it too!

M1nniedriver Sun 29-Nov-15 18:49:56

its probably been on the go since 2011 grin

Enjolrass Sun 29-Nov-15 19:11:18

I do think there is a lot of truth in it.

When da started reception I took his PE kit in. He brought it out at the end of the day and when j asked if he got changed he said no as he didn't have a kit.

I said to him 'that's your Pe kit'

So I mentioned it to the teacher the next day and took the kit back in. And said 'I think ds forgot he had it but it's back on his peg' she looked terrified. You could see he visibly relax when it was clear I wasn't upset, just letting her know it was there for next time.

I felt so sorry for her because she obviously expected me to go ape shit.

Really made me wonder what teachers have to deal with.

HaydeeofMonteCristo Sun 29-Nov-15 19:14:35

I wasn't sure the picture of the cowering child portrayed a "golden age"!

Obviously going in and shouting at the teacher is not on either though.

Can't speak as to whether it is true. Our head certainly seemed to have had a hard time with certain parents.

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 29-Nov-15 19:16:25

That was my DM and DF's attitude. Teacher is always right. Even, this being the 1970s, the racist, sexist ones. The mean ones, the incompetent ones.

I'm not sure that the current system is better but the old one wasn't perfect.

M1nniedriver Sun 29-Nov-15 19:35:01

Far from perfect I would say. I've heard horror stories from my oarents and uncles about some of the mean power hungry arses that taught them and had free reign with the cane sad

I just read some of the AIBU 'Johnny got a sanction, he has been upset all weekend, he says it was unfair he is such a good boy usually, his teacher was BU' threads in here and think hmm. It's okay for a child to be upset if they got in trouble, that's how they learn!! Seems teachers daren't even suggest some children were just being brats and needed a punishment. All children, even Johnny, can be naughty. It's what they do and it's okay, just as it should be okay for a teacher to di something about it.

noblegiraffe Sun 29-Nov-15 19:43:49

I've certainly seen threads on here saying "I think the teacher isn't any good and little Johnny has only gone up one sublevel since the start of the year, who do I complain to?"

But these days it's more likely to be the head berating the teacher for poor grades, with no kid in sight.

Weathergames Sun 29-Nov-15 19:54:24

I remember the 80s, getting the cane, the dap and the buckle hmm

TheDowagerCuntess Sun 29-Nov-15 20:03:07

This cartoon says nothing more or less than shit attitude of some parents - neither helpful to children, nor teachers. In fact, 'not helpful' doesn't go far enough - 'damaging' is probably more accurate. Hopefully most people operate on a reasonable middle ground that's supportive to both.

Unreasonablebetty Sun 29-Nov-15 20:04:03

I don't think either picture is right, but I do believe that the teachers get one hell of a hard time with children nowadays.
I left school in 07, so 9 years ago now, and even then myself and many others in my year group were shits to deal with, and from my understanding its just gotten worse and worse.

I do believe teachers and parents should provide a united front where the children are concerned, half of the reason I ran amock at school was because I knew if the teachers called home my parents would say, oh no. Betty wouldn't do that. Not our Betty.
From that point onwards I didn't behave, why would I?

I will definitely be providing the teachers with all the support that I can to make sure their job isn't made difficult by my DD

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now