Talk

Advanced search

To think the Lottery isn't worth playing since the rules were changed?

(32 Posts)
aspielady Sun 29-Nov-15 14:15:59

There used to be a 14 million to 1 chance of winning, but since they increased the pool of numbers to 59 it's now 1 in 45 million. I was already ticked off after they increased the ticket price to £2. I'm wondering if I should ditch it completely and save £4 a week. It's £6 a week if you are also playing Euromillions. Anyone here still playing after the changes?

Arfarfanarf Sun 29-Nov-15 14:19:02

It wasnt worth playing before but far less so now.

They should change it to one where you buy a ticket with a number and a ticket is selected that someone has bought iyswim.

So there will always be a winner. Like that raffle part of it. Or is that euromillions?

But they wont do that. Because they make more money this way.

BloodyDogHairs Sun 29-Nov-15 14:20:25

I stopped playing ages ago, I switched to the health lottery. It has a smaller jackpot but I don't think I'd like to win millions, I'd like just enough to pay off the mortgage. My friend recently got 5 numbers on the lotto and got a measley £74! years ago that would've been a few thousand pounds.

MrsGentlyBenevolent Sun 29-Nov-15 14:25:27

I agree - however, my partner bought me a ticket on Wednesday, somehow won £25. I usually only do Euromillions during special occasions - Xmas or a huge roll-over. The £75 for 5 numbers is a joke, I won a similar amount for 4 numbers a few years ago.

Theoretician Sun 29-Nov-15 14:54:23

Save up your weekly £4s, and buy premium bonds instead.

Each premium bond is a lottery ticket that can be reused over and over, for as long as you like, so it's both more cost-effective and better for the environment. grin

When you no longer want it, you can get your money back.

Oysterbabe Sun 29-Nov-15 15:45:59

I'm going to stop playing. I win nothing but lucky dips these days.
My dad won 40k on the football pools a few years ago, I didn't realise it still existed tbh.

talkinnpeace Sun 29-Nov-15 16:23:54

It was never worth playing.
I also use premium bonds.
The money gets entered into a draw every month.
The effective return is 1.4% tax free
You have the chance at £1m every month
you can always draw the money back out to spend another day.

Muskey Sun 29-Nov-15 16:28:45

I only plat euro lottery now. Even dd suggested we play the nhs lottery instead

BlueJug Sun 29-Nov-15 16:34:22

I hadn't realised the odds were so low. I knew they were bad at 14m to one but they are so much worse now. The thing is that for most people it is the only way out of a trap - and that hope drives them, (I include myself in this as I am a regular player). I am not going to earn, or inherit or marry enough to be able to get out of the trap I'm in. So I take a chance and it allows me to dream.

I struggle with reality; being squeezed out by people with more power and money, and I suppose that for the time between buying and checking my ticket, I can kid myself that it won't always be like that.

I will have to stop though as even I can see that it is a compete waste of money and it isn't a healthy way to live.

VinylScratch Sun 29-Nov-15 16:40:13

I might change to the health lottery, what days does that run?

talkinnpeace Sun 29-Nov-15 16:53:54

You can pay a little into the premium bonds every month by standing order
that money is saved
and gives you chance of winning every single month
www.nsandi.com/premium-bonds#buying-more-bonds

RebootYourEngine Sun 29-Nov-15 18:19:30

I know people who spent around 10 pounds per week on the lottery. These people are not well off and that 10 pounds could go a long way.

If i am in the shop and i remember i might buy a health lottery ticket. I think the health lottery in tues and fri. Could be wrong though.

Spectre8 Sun 29-Nov-15 18:23:08

Another bump for premium bonds last year I received x8 £25 cheques across the year and this year I have had x3 £25 cheques. One day I will get one with a few more 000's

GloriaHotcakes Sun 29-Nov-15 18:25:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OublietteBravo Sun 29-Nov-15 18:28:11

I'm another one who goes with premium bonds rather than playing the lottery. Don't you have a higher chance of dying before the next draw than you do of winning?

That said, I do pay £2 a month into the syndicate at work.

Palomb Sun 29-Nov-15 18:30:00

I stopped buying it when they increased the price. It would be interesting to see what their figures are like now, the lottery is a fools game now.

Fantasyland Sun 29-Nov-15 18:43:21

I won't play after this happened in my area recently.

A ticket won in my area on the raffle numbers but due to an error by national lottery they gave the wrong raffle details out for people to check their numbers online.

Anyway the mistake was realised and the correct raffle numbers were shown online but it was too late as whoever would have won would have checked against the wrong numbers and thrown the ticket away.

National lottery have done an appeal on Facebook in my area weeks after the mistake telling people to check their ticket as they are a millionaire but they are refusing to name the exact place or town where the ticket was bought so people can jog their memories or the shop can trace cctv to track who bought the ticket.

Lots of people including myself are annoyed that some poor bugger actually won but due to a cock up by the national lottery they checked the wrong numbers.
They are also annoyed that the lottery took a while to do an appeal where most people would have chucked their tickets and they aren't doing their best to track the person down.

No one has come forward yet and on Facebook it was requested that the money go to good causes in the area the ticket was bought but national lottery refusing and saying the money goes into good causes but not specifically for the area the ticket was bought where the lottery has deprived someone of winning

Whatsername24 Sun 29-Nov-15 18:47:25

I stopped playing when the increased it to £2 per ticket.

As for Premium Bonds, a great aunt bought some for myself, my sister and our cousin 40 years ago. I'm the only one to have won in that time, and that was £50 just the once.

Sallyingforth Sun 29-Nov-15 19:13:43

It's just a tax on the stupid.

Arfarfanarf Sun 29-Nov-15 19:18:41

or the desperate. I see more people in poverty playing than wealthy people. It's £2 of hope I think, rather than stupidity.

Sallyingforth Sun 29-Nov-15 19:21:57

I could see the point if there were 500 prizes of 100k instead of 1 prize of 50 million.

talkinnpeace Sun 29-Nov-15 19:51:41

whatser
How much money do you have in the bonds?
You need to have over £100 to have any realistic chance of a prixe in any five year period.
I aim for a prize every few months.

SoWhite Sun 29-Nov-15 19:55:03

How do premium bonds work?

That sounds like something I should be doing.

wasonthelist Sun 29-Nov-15 19:56:02

I stopped playing the Lottery when they gave £12.5 million to the Churchill family.

www.independent.co.uk/news/lottery-funds-16312m-churchill-sale-1617191.html

Brokenwardrobe Sun 29-Nov-15 20:01:17

Money saving expert says that the chances of winning £1m are 27billion to 1 with premium bonds!!! Also that most savers are likely to 'win' far less than they would gain in interest in an ISA. So it would prob be better to put your £6/week into an ISA (assuming you don't already use your full ISA allowance) and after a year you'll have £312 + interest.
www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/premium-bonds

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now