Talk

Advanced search

To make hummus without oil (light hearted)

(16 Posts)
raranah Sun 29-Nov-15 11:57:04

I'm not on a diet diet but I am having more protein and fiber.

I make it just with s seeds, c peas, l juice and garlic blended together with a bit of water.

It still tastes Devon but has more goodness for the calories. That's fine right?

ilovesooty Sun 29-Nov-15 12:01:26

I didn't know Devon was famed for its hummus.

Jessesbitch Sun 29-Nov-15 12:02:38

How about using natural yoghurt?

FadedRed Sun 29-Nov-15 12:06:14

Now you have been foolish enough to post this heresy on a public forum, you can expect The Hummus Swat Team breaking down your door within the next few minutes! Your only defence will be a authenticated medical certificate proving you have a severe olive oil allergy.
You are doomed, Op, doomed!!!

howabout Sun 29-Nov-15 12:06:05

YANBU
Think that makes it more falafel than hummus. I would have to make it into patties and fry it, but not sure how that would work out oil use wise. You could then have a yoghurt dip on the side.

whatdoIget Sun 29-Nov-15 12:08:15

Olive oil is good for you too though isn't it?

tobysmum77 Sun 29-Nov-15 12:15:44

Of course not although I use tahini which has oil in it anyway.

hefzi Sun 29-Nov-15 13:10:50

I don't make mine with oil as I can't bear olive oil: I do use dried tahini mix (which doesn't have oil in) though, reconstituted with water, rather than sesame seeds - but this sounds pretty similar otherwise.

I lived somewhere for a very long time where hummus was the national religion, so it's pretty heretical to make it not using oil, though!

GloriaSmellens Sun 29-Nov-15 13:13:42

Wow, so glad you put 'light hearted' in the thread title otherwise this could have turned into a real bun fight!

tobysmum77 Sun 29-Nov-15 18:51:12

Have you read some of the insane food related threads? grin

I expected to come back to a load of nutters waffling on about lowering fat intake being bad for you.....

HaydeeofMonteCristo Sun 29-Nov-15 19:12:11

Ah but you will get the people who say they hate it when a thread includes the word "lighthearted" in a minute....

I was thinking this was the modern equivalent of "making an omlette without breaking eggs" when I clicked on it... You know, you can't make hummus without pouring oil....

BikeRunSki Sun 29-Nov-15 19:12:16

I make hummus without oil an with baked sweet potato and chick peas and seasonings/flavourings . The sweet potato adds moisture and flavour, whilst being a similar texture to the chick peas when all whizzed up. I bake some garlic cloves with the sweet potato and include that. It's lovely.

IndridCold Sun 29-Nov-15 19:16:21

I don't make mine with oil and it tastes fine. All the recipies I have seen say you just dribble the oil on top when you serve it, if you want to

rubyontherocks Sun 29-Nov-15 19:16:54

I once would have been up in arms about the idea, but then I discovered Yotam Ottolenghi's recipe doesn't have oil in, and still tastes delicious.

cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1014943-hummus-from-jerusalem

catfordbetty Sun 29-Nov-15 19:20:14

Yotam Ottolenghi's recipe doesn't have oil in

Tahini is pretty oily though.

raranah Sun 29-Nov-15 19:30:17

Tahini doesn't have oil, its pulled seasme seeds. Its no oil added, just the oil separates after its been mushed.

I grind my ss so its not far off tahini.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now