Talk

Advanced search

To really love housework?

(28 Posts)
murmuration Sat 28-Nov-15 08:52:45

I've realised I really love doing household chores - cleaning, cooking, laundry, and so on. I love gardening, too.

I absolutely hate that I am sick (dysautonomia and probably CFS/ME) and not able to do as much of this as I want, and hate even more that DH is even sicker than me, and thus can't work, and so I have to work FT and barely have enough energy left for the housework I love.

I was recently reading a book about a woman who became a Buddist priest and her training days where she had to clean dishes, bathrooms, and mop floors all day, and I thought, how lovely! I'd love to spend my days doing that.

I'm weird, aren't I?

And while our current area is in desperate need of more cleaners (as we know as we've been unable to find a free one - which I'm actually sort of happy about as I get to clean again although I'm afraid of the toll it is putting on my health), I clearly couldn't actually start up a cleaning business as I sometimes dream. My health is obviously incompatible with such a physical job, since it's really draining me to just do a few hours a week in my own home.

EatDessertFirst Sat 28-Nov-15 10:51:16

YANBU. I love doing the housework! I try and fit it into the one day a week when the DC are at school and DP is at work. I can do the whole house, and its wonderful to have it all clean and fresh smelling at least till they all get home.

Maybe in your case just one room/job at a time/per day? It may spread the load a wee bit and take the physical pressure off?

murmuration Sat 28-Nov-15 12:04:46

Hurrah! At least one other person in the world like me smile

I do it one room per day, but that's still too much sad I can't manage anything on the two days a week I pick DD up from nursery, as I get home about 7pm and then am exhausted by the time I've made dinner and put her to bed. So that leaves kitchen, sitting room, conservatory, and bathrooms for 4 of the 5 remaining days. I'd love to squeeze a bedroom in the last day but find I can barely sit up. And laundry gets squeezed in there too.

RainbowSpiral Sat 28-Nov-15 12:05:05

Each to their own, but I hate housework

IwishIwasinNewYork Sat 28-Nov-15 12:06:47

HATE:

Washing up
Ironing
Laundry

LOVE:

Cleaning bathrooms
Hoovering
Polishing mirrors and making things shiny

SarahSavesTheDay Sat 28-Nov-15 12:13:27

I love housekeeping. I suspect this probably makes me a dull person, but I don't care. I do hate having it immediately undone, though.

I'm visiting the US at the moment and spent a half an hour in the cleaning aisles at Target. Amazing.

ElasticPants Sat 28-Nov-15 12:14:08

I hate loading and emptying the dishwasher and putting laundry away, but I love cleaning. I put my headphones on and it's quite therapeutic to switch off for a while.

SarahSavesTheDay Sat 28-Nov-15 12:15:13

I do hate emptying the dishwasher. I make my children do this.

Archer26 Sat 28-Nov-15 12:18:06

I love it too. I love sitting down of an evening with a tidy clean smelling house.

I use to even move it as a kid. I remember being at home around 13/14 and every week becoming annoyed about the weekend papers still being around mid week. I'd go into a frenzy tidying them up and my mum would be hmm

BarbaraofSeville Sat 28-Nov-15 12:21:18

Each to their own, but I hate housework

^^This. But any one of you weirdos housework lovers, are welcome round to mine, whenever you like. It'll be like a theme park to you, you won't know where to begin grin.

TreeSparrow Sat 28-Nov-15 12:21:33

Do any of you want to pop round mine to clean? I fucking hate cleaning. angry It's so boring.

bumbleymummy Sat 28-Nov-15 12:22:44

You're all very welcome to come to my house and clean away! I hate cleaning but I'll provide brew and cake smile

80schild Sat 28-Nov-15 12:25:37

I hate most forms of housework however I do have an intense love of sorting laundry with particular reference to socks. It gives me such an amazing sense of achievement when they are all in pairs and tidily in a drawer.

IwishIwasinNewYork Sat 28-Nov-15 12:26:32

Barbara grin

I work FT and I spend most my Saturday cleaning quite happily. I am indeed a weirdo.

scrivette Sat 28-Nov-15 12:46:16

I love it too - although you wouldn't believe it from the state of my house! Except washing up, I can't stand washing up.

GloGirl Sat 28-Nov-15 13:17:45

I love cleaning a clean empty house.

Unfortunately I hate tidying and putting things away and moving things to clean.

So I live in a filthy messy hovel. I really hope to start owning less and loving what I have more.

SleepIsForTheWeakAnyway Sat 28-Nov-15 13:25:52

I wish I loved it. I don't mind it too much but I find it so soul destroying to clean and tidy and have everything perfect whilst the DC follow me undoing everything I've just done. So we live in relative chaos. It would be so much easier if I could love it or better still if I could get the DC to love it

BackforGood Sat 28-Nov-15 13:34:21

Oh this, this this....

*Each to their own, but I hate housework

^^This. But any one of you weirdos housework lovers, are welcome round to mine, whenever you like. It'll be like a theme park to you, you won't know where to begin*

BackforGood Sat 28-Nov-15 13:36:50

I recognise that SleepisfortheWeak

I shout at the screen in rage when people say 'just do one room at a time and then that will make you feel better and then move on to the next' as if that first space magically stays looking beautiful once you've cleaned it.

To be fair, my teens do contribute - they all cook, for example - but there is a massively untidy gene inherited from dh that they are fighting and losing all the time.

SorryCantBeArsed Sat 28-Nov-15 13:42:10

I love cleaning bathrooms! Thought it was just me being odd. I like cleaning but bathrooms are my absolute favourite, sad but true grin

murmuration Sat 28-Nov-15 13:55:51

I just really love the whole process - how swiping past makes things clean, seeing the paths of the wiping, the movements. Looking at a clean room at the end is nice, but I actually like the actually doing more.

sorry, bathrooms are great as there so many shiny things in there smile

ThursdayLastWeek Sat 28-Nov-15 13:58:52

I love (most) housework too. Dusting, hoovering, tidying, sporadic massive sort outs.

I hate cleaning the oven though. And ironing.

InQuiteAPickle Sat 28-Nov-15 14:10:18

My Grandma used to love cleaning and tidying. She used to stay at our house every weekend and tidy, much to my mum's annoyance as she would "move" things and my mum would never be able to find them. She used to love washing up hmmconfused.

I'm not a massive fan of cleaning. I don't mind it but I could never clean someone else's filth. I love sitting and chilling in my house when it's all tidy and clean.

nebulae Sat 28-Nov-15 15:13:15

I enjoy doing housework as well. I wander round the house looking for things to tidy/clean sometimes grin

Notso Sat 28-Nov-15 15:23:46

I think I could love it but at the moment it seems like a waste of time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now