Talk

Advanced search

To think recorders have no place at 9pm on a Friday night

(35 Posts)
Ughnotagain Fri 27-Nov-15 21:08:48

One of my neighbour's kids is playing "Jingle Bells" (I think). On a recorder. I'm trying to get my baby to sleep. She doesn't seem bothered by it but I bloody am.

I'm sure recorders must have been invented solely as torture devices...

starry0ne Fri 27-Nov-15 21:12:19

Oh my Ds is practicing for school concert too...It is an awful torture instrument.. He is asleep though at the mo so its not my DS bothering you I can add.

YokoUhOh Fri 27-Nov-15 21:12:22

Recorders are beautiful:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=AfuBfOzUOWQ

But in the wrong hands they're heinous. I might have been guilty of letting DS (3) play my descant this morning at 6am but we live in a detached!

OhPillocks Fri 27-Nov-15 21:14:39

Oh, I think you need to get MNHQ to amend your title to

AIBU TO THINK RECORDERS HAVE NO PLACE EVER

Andrewofgg Fri 27-Nov-15 21:23:27

They sound dreadful in the hands of a novice.

Unlike bagpipes which sound dreadful in anyone's hands.

andantecantabile Fri 27-Nov-15 21:29:37

I taught my year 3 recorder group jingle bells this week. I wholeheartedly apologise if it's one of them....

LionHeartedWoman Fri 27-Nov-15 21:29:45

On a Friday night? YADNBU.

Lovemytent Fri 27-Nov-15 21:30:02

I am currently being forced to listen to my neighbours daughter playing her keyboard at full volume.
It is, however, slightly preferable to the usual screaming and shouting we hear coming through the walls.
Fortunately our children sleep through the noise now, and it can't be heard from our bedroom so we just let it go.
Truly sympathise with you though OP.

Squeegle Fri 27-Nov-15 21:31:08

Rather Friday night than Saturday or Sunday morning!

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Fri 27-Nov-15 21:42:34

Everything has a place!

And a recorder should be nicely boxed away on a Friday night.

nancy75 Fri 27-Nov-15 21:44:30

Recorders deserve no place on earth. My very very lovely friend is a recorder teacher, she is so nice and yet she is the cause of so much pain...

PunkrockerGirl Fri 27-Nov-15 21:44:23

Anything is better than bagpipes Andrew. Tis the devil's instrument.
It does sound unreasonable, OP. But remember in a few years time your baby will be practising for her part in the nativity play and you'll get payback big time smile Encourage dc to learn the violin

Ughnotagain Fri 27-Nov-15 21:49:08

Wow Yoko that's actually quite nice!

Love we usually have shouting and screaming too...in fact, we have had a bit of that tonight too. A detached house remains a dream...

Punk honestly I can't wait, DH plays a few instruments so in our house we have drums, guitars, bass, ukelele, saxophone...they won't know what's hit them grin

PunkrockerGirl Fri 27-Nov-15 21:52:01

grin

ninared Fri 27-Nov-15 21:58:49

feel your pain we have amateur opera singers next door very very bad ones.

They 'sing' at 6am before work and at weekends.

They have zero respect for neighbours and when in their pool and around the front the children who are about 15 & 17 scream and shout and shriek like two year olds who aren't disciplined and are very loud

just wish I had an answer to help you. I think the only thing that works is giving a taste of own medicine....being reasonable and talking about it never ends well from what I've seen and read on here as these sorts of people generally have no respect or thoughts for what you are feeling

9pm is way too late for a recorder!

Darvany Fri 27-Nov-15 22:06:41

Play the long game, OP.

Think about recorders and squeaky garden toys on a Sunday morning in the hands of your baby in a year's time...

StylishDuck Fri 27-Nov-15 22:07:33

I have shouted at a man collecting for charity who dared to buzz our buzzer (in the middle of the afternoon blush) just as I was getting DD down for her nap.

Today I nearly marched outside to give a couple of tree surgeons who were chopping down a tree right outside DD's bedroom window a bollocking.

When it comes to getting babies to sleep YADNBU grin

MaryMcGregor Fri 27-Nov-15 22:09:09

They are the work of the devil! I have fond memories of being excellent at playing mine grin as a child and bought dd one with the aim of learning to read music. I am sure people have killed for less.

DeepBlueLake Fri 27-Nov-15 22:10:51

Yanbu, recorders have no place ever in the world.

We learnt to play the tin whistle at primary school and it was bloody awful grin

Darvany Fri 27-Nov-15 22:17:02

Yeah, YANBU about babies and sleep. DS regularly used to go over 48 hours without kipping. I once screeched at a workman who thought it was acceptable to have his music blaring from his van for him to listen to while in the house five doors down.

Helenluvsrob Fri 27-Nov-15 22:20:28

Oi. Where is mn recorder posse when you need em?

youtu.be/1h40VePbaB8

My lovely friend and the kids ( and dh) teacher.

Any instrument is awful when you can only play jingle bells and it's 9pm!

Don't diss the recorders.

BitOutOfPractice Fri 27-Nov-15 22:22:56

Wait till you've got a recorder playing child. You'll think it's gorgeous then. This is your penance in advance.

StylishDuck Fri 27-Nov-15 22:30:29

I played the recorder as a child. 30 odd years later my DF still talks about the days he had to sit through 90 mins of screeching recorder playing children he didn't know just to hear 2-3 minutes of me screeching playing grin

Catsize Sat 28-Nov-15 00:05:46

My son is 4 next month. Yesterday, I went into a shop with a view to buying us a recorder each so I can teach him at home. I can't wait. Perhaps I should wait forever.

Helenluvsrob Sun 29-Nov-15 13:16:22

Cats 4 is way too young. Fingers are too small for a start !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now