Talk

Advanced search

To find ex SILs behaviour spoilt and passive aggressive

(319 Posts)
beltedmaisy Fri 27-Nov-15 13:45:50

My DB works very hard and as ex SIL has no living family a lot of the childcare for their DS falls to our side, this is fine we are happy to have him and don't charge SIL. There has never been any animosity.

SIL has always bought birthday gifts for our family from DS and herself presumably by way of thanks for our help.

She has just been to our house dropping off Santa presents for DN as we have more room to hide them until Christmas eve and she also slipped us a gift set and asked if we could wrap it with DN and give it to him for him to give to her Christmas morning hmm when questioned further she explained how he'd been a bit upset on her birthday which was a few weeks ago when his teacher asked if mummy had gotten anything nice.

AIBU to think it's not our responsibility, we're doing more than enough as it is and that the last thing a 5 year old is thinking about is a gift set for his mother? It's left a really bad taste in my mouth and makes ex SIL come across very passive aggressive!

UmbongoUnchained Fri 27-Nov-15 13:47:57

Yabu!! He wants to surprise his mum with a present! She has no living family so who else is going to do it? It will take you 2 minutes!

inlawsareasses Fri 27-Nov-15 13:48:23

Why? It must be difficult for the little one what's the harm?

FlameProofBoots Fri 27-Nov-15 13:48:36

I don't see the problem really.

At least she didn't ask you to buy her a present. I think it's quite nice for her to have got something for him to give to her.

Fannycraddock79 Fri 27-Nov-15 13:49:00

YABU, she didn't ask anything if you, purely just to wrap a present she had bought for herself so that he wouldn't worry she got nothing. I appreciate you do a lot for her abs it sounds like she does too but I'm not seeing where she's being PA, sounds like she's just looking out for her son.

Tiggeryoubastard Fri 27-Nov-15 13:51:45

God you sound, at best, heartless. It'll take 5 minutes to wrap it with him. Actually I don't believe anyone is really such a petty twat.

AttitcusFinchIsMyFather Fri 27-Nov-15 13:51:48

All she has asked is that you wrap a present from her DS to herself? Wow, I feel for your DN, has no-one ever taken him to buy a gift for his mum? Poor lad.

YABU.

beltedmaisy Fri 27-Nov-15 13:52:04

Sorry I should explained a little better, the reason I find it so PA is that its an obvious dig at the fact we'd forgotten her birthday a few weeks ago when she makes a bigger deal of them than we do (as I say, probably more by way of thanks)

DixieNormas Fri 27-Nov-15 13:52:13

I don't know what the problem is? He wants to give his mummy a present, she's bought it and is asking you to wrap it with him to give to her presumably so he thinks it's a surprise for her.

Honestly I don't know what I'd wrong with some people

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 27-Nov-15 13:52:43

Your anger is misplaced, it is your DB you should be angry with, he should be the one helping his 5 year choose, wrap and give a present to his Mum.

WipsGlitter Fri 27-Nov-15 13:53:12

How mean are you!!

She gets not Christmas or birthday present so buys her own and you refuse to wrap it for her. Even if she is dropping a hint for your DB to get her a token from their child, it's not that much to ask.

ifyoulikepinacolada Fri 27-Nov-15 13:54:04

Yab totally unreasonable - you're wrapping presents anyway i presume, it's only one more and it's for your nephew's benefit more than ex sil's!

I have lots of memories of being little and wanting to buy my divorced parents christmas and birthday presents but not having any money (we're talking when i was maybe 4-8?) or opportunity to go to the shops without them and just not knowing how! It really really upset me at the time as i felt like such a bad daughter and i wish a family member or the other parent had helped me out a little bit so i could have something to give them. I dreaded being asked questions like that by teachers and i think it would be a really kind thing to do for the little boy.

beltedmaisy Fri 27-Nov-15 13:54:05

Of course I don't mind wrapping
wrapping it, I would buy something if he had asked. It's the martyr behaviour I find insulting

Leelu6 Fri 27-Nov-15 13:54:29

confused

Need more info. Why is this passive aggressive behaviour?

It's great that you all help out. I find myself feeling very sorry for your SIL.

definitelybutter1 Fri 27-Nov-15 13:54:31

I make sure that there are presents from ds because ds needs to learn that it is normal to give a gift on a special day. Fuck what the recipient thinks, it's about setting a good pattern for the kid.

gleam Fri 27-Nov-15 13:55:09

So you don't think your SIL works very hard?

RamblingRedRose Fri 27-Nov-15 13:55:52

Sorry even with the extra info you still sound really unreasonable. And yes you should get her a present in return for her gifts.

Perfectlypurple Fri 27-Nov-15 13:56:06

Yabu. If she had other family I am sure she would ask them. Kids do like to give their parents presents.

AttitcusFinchIsMyFather Fri 27-Nov-15 13:56:14

You forgot her birthday too? shock

Jibberjabberjooo Fri 27-Nov-15 13:56:23

Yabu

Gobbolinothewitchscat Fri 27-Nov-15 13:56:49

God almighty. I keep thinking I've seen it all on here. But. No.

She wasn't having a passive aggressive dig at you. She didn't extrapolate until you asked her to

If you're cross with anyone, you should be with your charming, hardworking brother who can't organise himself to get a little token for a young child to give to his mother

I bet your ex-SIL gets something for her DS to give to your brother on his birthday/Christmas.....

SiegeofEnnis Fri 27-Nov-15 13:57:04

Unless there's some massive backstory you haven't mentioned - and you say there's been no animosity - I don't see anything PA in her behaviour at all. It's natural a five year old would want to give his mother a present, surely? It's not much bother to wrap it with your nephew. At that age we would always have been involved in buying birthday presents with the other parent.

Why would you be giving your ex SIL a birthday present, anyway? I can't imagine she would expect it.

pinkbraces Fri 27-Nov-15 13:57:36

YABVU and pretty mean as well.

Why doesnt your DB ensure his DC has a present to give to his mum on her birthday and at christmas. Of course your DN is going to be upset not to have a present to give.

The only person being PA is you.

This post has really annoyed me. My sister is a single parent and her ex was rubbish at this as well. My mum made sure she had a present to open from my DN.

RabbitSaysWoof Fri 27-Nov-15 13:58:13

YABU and your brother sounds lazy. I have friends who hate their exes, they still take their kids to choose gifts for them, because they are adults and it's about the children having something to give.

puddock Fri 27-Nov-15 13:57:57

I have a son the same age, he loves to give people presents but doesn't have the means to buy them. Of course I get him (and his brother) a present to give me at Christmas, and I would ask someone else (his dad or my sister probably) to wrap it with him to create at least the illusion that it's a surprise. YABU and rather unkind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now