Talk

Advanced search

To think Hermes delivery are idiotic useless twats!

(67 Posts)
MadHattersWineParty Fri 27-Nov-15 12:46:55

I accidentally found out my boyfriend has bought me a beautiful Micheal Kors watch for Christmas (I admired one in a shop the other day then saw the 'checkout' page up on our shared pc and he'd bought one) he doesn't know I know and I was going to pretend to be very very surprised (not used to pricey gifts anyway!)

Anyway the muppet got it delivered to our block of flats rather than his work. Neither of us are expecting any other delivery so when I popped home between shifts today there was a little Hermes card on the mat and I knew it must be for the watch.

Courier had apparently left it on top of our electricity box outside the front door. There's nothing there sad

Builders are working on the scaffolding directly outside and in full view of front door but obviously it would be very easy for anyone to take!

No contact number on card. Watch was on a pre Black Friday flash sale thing so not sure he'd be able to get the same one again.

Bloody Hermes bastards. why would you just leave something somewhere where it could very obviously go missing?!

tabulahrasa Fri 27-Nov-15 13:00:53

I'm a hermes courier...so um, cheers for that hmm

I wouldn't leave a parcel outside, but, I'm part time and my DP is the main wage earner, so I can afford to be more picky.

Just so you know, we're paid about 50p per delivery and if we have to redeliver - it doesn't go back to the depot so you can pick it up, it comes home and we have to store it...we have to try to deliver it 3 times, so that's 3 trips to an address without being paid oh and it's just added to the next days deliveries on top of that days...the phone number would be our own phone number, if you phone to get it redelivered, basically what you're asking us to do is come back after we've finished work.

Your courier absolutely shouldn't have left it in full view, but given that the workload is currently double normal and that we're under huge pressure to get them out in the right day...and that the pay works out to be less than minimum wage, I understand the temptation to do it.

So while it's annoying that you won't get your watch, you'll get a refund...maybe your DP shouldn't order things to be delivered to somewhere where no-one is in and there's nowhere safe to leave parcels.

FireCrotch Fri 27-Nov-15 13:02:14

They're liars too. I ordered stuff from H&M two weeks ago. I found the tracking number in an email on Wednesday as I thought it should have arrived by now. Apparently they tried to deliver Monday just gone. Bullshit. We were both in. After waiting nearly 30 minutes for H&M to answer the phone she promised it would be here yesterday. Nope. I'm giving til Monday before ringing again for a refund. I've been quite successful in avoiding companies that use Hermes. Won't be ordering from H&M again that's for sure.

MrsGentlyBenevolent Fri 27-Nov-15 13:04:45

Sorry, tabulahrasa, but I have to argree with the OP. Hermes said they had delivered my items, then it transpired they hadn't even been to my house not to talk about an attempted delivery (I was fuming also for the lack of calling card). I avoid using companies that deliver with them now.

CupofBoo Fri 27-Nov-15 13:06:20

They're shit. They threw away a unique gift someone had sent me and packed extremely well saying they'd smashed it.

tabulahrasa Fri 27-Nov-15 13:09:49

I'm a great courier, lol...but like I said, part of that is because I don't have 240 parcels a day to deliver.

But...hermes doesn't employ the couriers, they're self-employed, so really it is just your luck as to whether you get a good one or one who can't be bothered.

OurBlanche Fri 27-Nov-15 13:10:23

Our Hermes bods have been brilliant.

The woman who delivered in the absolute back of beyond where we last lived used to deliver as and when she saw you. So if you were driving she would flash you down and deliver, if she was driving past your work she would deliver. If she didn't see you within 24 hours she would leave a card telling you that the Shop had taken your parcel in - they had a cupboard behind the counter and they took in all sorts of stuff.

Here, small town/big village, really rural, the Hermes guy has a great delivery habit. He drives out nice and early and if he misses you comes back nice and late. This time of year he waits till he sees lights on. If he misses you he leaves the parcel in the Post Office - not really allowed but the place is so small no one minds much.

It must be a really hard job in bigger places, less neighbourliness!

LillyBugg Fri 27-Nov-15 13:10:53

Yep I'm afraid tabula they have a really bad reputation, I've had bad experiences with our local delivery guy as well. From rudeness to lying to delivering to the completely incorrect house.

Hope you get a refund OP sad

FireCrotch Fri 27-Nov-15 13:12:14

Yeah no calling card here. I only found out about Monday's fake delivery when I found the tracking number online and looked for myself. They once delivered a parcel to the next road (same number). The householder brought it round herself after a few days. She presumed a card had been left and I'd come for it at some point.

homebythesea Fri 27-Nov-15 13:12:59

I love our local Hermes people, know then by name and one even knows that if my car isn't in the drive it means I'm out so he waits till he sees the car to deliver- very thoughtful service!

Heyheyheygoodbye Fri 27-Nov-15 13:13:14

I think it depends on where you live sometimes. My old place Hermes were the devil but here they're wonderful!

Really sorry about your parcel OP flowers

P1nkP0ppy Fri 27-Nov-15 13:14:16

My Hermes delivery people are simply great, I can't fault the service. Lovely cheerful drivers and never had a problem.

Yodel however are a very different experience..... sad

tabulahrasa Fri 27-Nov-15 13:15:20

"Yep I'm afraid tabula they have a really bad reputation"

I know they do, so do yodel who have the same 'employment' method...because it is just your luck who is your courier and it's poorly paid and stressful, so anyone who is any good would leave to be better paid - unless it suits them for some other reason (like me).

But there's still no need to be quite so insulting to all hermes couriers because one put something in a stupid place.

FireCrotch Fri 27-Nov-15 13:15:35

Speak of the devil. My parcel just turned up. I'm going to start whinging about dh's lack of job offers and see what happens. grin

nutellacrumpet Fri 27-Nov-15 13:18:36

Myhermes are a bunch of idiots. If my stuff does turns up it reeks of smoke as my local one smokes in her car when delivering the parcels. If I complain to Myhermes they just say 'sorry as they are self employed they can smoke in their cars.' Have had to send a few bita back as can't give people gifts that smell like ashtrays.

I now will do anything to avoid them. Even if I have to pay much more. Hopefully they will go down the pan eventually. Such a useless company.

Nanasueathome Fri 27-Nov-15 13:19:10

My Hermes courier is excellent

FlipperSkipper Fri 27-Nov-15 13:43:27

I won't use a company who I know use Hermes as our local courier thinks it's acceptable to climb over a 6ft talk gate into our garden to leave parcels there. Yes we're out, but our neighbours are more than happy to take in parcels for us.

MadHattersWineParty Fri 27-Nov-15 13:44:40

It's true that he should have had it delivered to work- but it's also not a big ask to think a company night fulfil their obligations to actually deliver. Next door neighbour is in and we happily take in parcels for eachother.

What action is taken if an item goes missing from where the driver said they left it? Because it sounds like it happens a lot! Or do Hermes just refund the company that foolishly used them?

Tracking email says 'delivered to porch'

I know he will get a refund but not the same watch for what he can afford as the offer is finished. It was about 40% off. It was so lovely!

MadHattersWineParty Fri 27-Nov-15 13:45:34

Meant to add that we don't have a porch. Just a door.

AppleSnapple Fri 27-Nov-15 13:46:35

I agree they can be so hit and miss but just to say our local lady is lovely, helpful and nice! They're not all wallies so don't tar them all with same brush!

RaskolnikovsGarret Fri 27-Nov-15 13:48:19

Ours is awful. Has three times left a note saying package is in the shed. We don't have a shed and have found them pushed into a hedge and left out in the rain. Boxes wet but not the contents, but would have been a nightmare if they were gifts.

Any point complaining? Would never order from a company if I knew they were going to use Hermes. But often you just don't know.

LuciaInFurs Fri 27-Nov-15 13:50:46

I've just been in a two week battle with Evans about this same problem. Hermes left the package outside despite me leaving a note on the order saying not to leave the package outside. There is also a note on our door saying this (crazy neighbour problems). Courier delivered package on a Saturday, when I was in and didn't even bother to ring the door bell. Package disappeared and Evans keep saying they are 'conducting an investigation'.

I am walking around with a hole in my shoes as they are the only place I can get size 10 shoes without having to take out a mortgage. Good luck to you OP.

00100001 Fri 27-Nov-15 13:51:26

I will never uyse MyHermes again - they're F'ing useless.

PerspicaciaTick Fri 27-Nov-15 13:58:53

My Hermes delivery lady is fantastic. Always helpful and pleasant. We've never had a problem with a Hermes delivery.

Which is not to say that some aren't rubbish.

strawberryandaflake Fri 27-Nov-15 14:03:44

Hermes here are awful. I live in an apartment block. It's like they take one look at it (only 5 floors and has a lift), and decide it's better to ring the buzzer and run off than actually deliver. I avoid them if possible. I had to go to a courier's house to pick something up once because they said they couldn't find the place. Not entirely sure how they could miss it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now