Talk

Advanced search

to ask what aspects of religious practice you have issues with?

(248 Posts)
Egosumquisum Fri 27-Nov-15 10:19:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Thistledew Fri 27-Nov-15 10:24:06

The idea that your opinions, attitudes and behaviour have moral superiority because they originate from a divine source. No, they are just your opinions, attitudes and behaviour, the same as anyone else's. And if they can't be justified or rationalised by reference to anything that is not one specific book, then the chances are they are probably lousy and weak ones.

WorraLiberty Fri 27-Nov-15 10:25:11

It's perfectly possible to help other people less fortunate, without being at all religious.

Personally, I think the bad far outweighs the good in too many religions and that's mostly because many of them are so outdated, they don't really fit with modern life.

I also don't understand the 'Judge not and ye shall not be judged' thing, when all some religions seem to do is judge other people harshly.

WhataRacquet Fri 27-Nov-15 10:25:21

I dislike the feeding, clothing and education of people in developing countries in return for converting to a different faith.

Why can't they be helped and allowed to keep their own beliefs.

I also hate any form of preaching.

PurpleThermalsNowItsWinter Fri 27-Nov-15 10:31:03

Any religion which tells you how to act and think. I prefer religions that are more lending towards interpretation as a 'lifestyle guide' rather than attend every x day in this y building and pray in this particular way and you will be saved.

Egosumquisum Fri 27-Nov-15 10:34:16

Tiggeryoubastard Fri 27-Nov-15 10:35:48

Child mutilation, subjugation, mysoginy, blame, guilt, arrogance, lies, cover ups, deluded self belief. Oh, hundreds more.

ZebraLovesKnitting Fri 27-Nov-15 10:35:44

I dislike the whole "be a good person or you'll end up in hell"/"be a good person and you'll be rewarded" aspect. Why do people need bribing and threatening to just be nice to other people?

TimeToMuskUp Fri 27-Nov-15 10:36:14

I don't like the Catholic view that confessing your sins somehow cleanses you of them. You can't absolve someone of guilt simply by hearing their wrong-doings. Nobody on earth has that power.

I really don't like when one religion actively campaigns against another, or against a part of society; the whole Westboro Baptist bunch of clowns picketing LGBT rallies, funerals, homes; all of that is unchristian, vile nonsense which serves only to prove that you may call yourself a Christian but your actions will always speak louder than your words.

Hateful words aren't anointed just because they're spoken in a church. Many religions forget that.

Sighing Fri 27-Nov-15 10:36:49

The assumption by anyone religious / non religious about what that means to other people and implies.
Of course non religious people can care about their fellow humans.
Of course religious people are capable of independent thought.

WorraLiberty Fri 27-Nov-15 10:37:46

Oh but to answer the question, "what aspects of religious practice do you have issues with".

In particular I'd say one that cannot be reversed when a child is old enough to choose whether they want to continue to practise their parent's religion.

So namely, circumcision.

I've said this on another thread but I'll say it here too...

Tipping water over a baby's head and sending them home with a certificate that they can rip up in later life should they choose to, is a very far cry from removing part of their body, in the name of their parent's religion.

That cannot be rectified once they eventually have autonomy over their own bodies, and a choice of religions.

EatDessertFirst Fri 27-Nov-15 10:39:22

Each to their own EXCEPT in our area the best schools are religious (Catholic and C of E) and we had a snowballs chance in hell of getting in. I resent my children being excluded from the best state education because we don't attend church.

I can't bring myself to get wound up too much by what people believe.

Seriouslyffs Fri 27-Nov-15 10:39:54

Most profound observation I've ever heard was from one of the the Sidiqui brothers off of Gogglebox!
"The most dangerous words in the world are 'you'll get your reward in Heaven'"
I'm a Christian, getting to heaven is my aim in life, but the minute I find I'm doing something that has no benefit to me or others, or does harm, and I find myself hoping I'll be rewarded later, I'm apostatising!

WorraLiberty Fri 27-Nov-15 10:43:13

I think feeling good that you've helped someone else, is reward enough.

It's possibly more selfless too, than doing it because you think there'll be something in it for you when you die.

TPel Fri 27-Nov-15 10:43:18

All of the above!

Seriously I thought that that comment from the wonderful Siddiqui family was the most eloquent comment I have heard in a very long time.

celtictoast Fri 27-Nov-15 10:45:21

Fundamentalism, sexism, homophobia.

DrasticAction Fri 27-Nov-15 10:47:12

I dislike not being able to question /^discuss^/ poke fun at religion freely without fear of reprisal.

As well as most other points above.

Ouriana Fri 27-Nov-15 10:47:37

Women and children being treated as second class citizens. Prejudice being allowed as it says so in the bible/koran/text of choice.

The hypocrisy; in leviticus the bible clearly speaks out against wearing mixed fibres alongside being gay, yet wearing polycotton isnt quite given the same stigma

The sense of moral superiority. My religion/ god/ faith is correct, yours is not; therefore I am superior.

Egosumquisum Fri 27-Nov-15 10:58:37

RaptorInaPorkPieHat Fri 27-Nov-15 11:00:09

What Thistledew said.

The attitude that you must go to church in order to go to heaven (as Eddie Izzard once said "I believe in a god, I just don't believe in a god that takes attendance").

The attitude that some 'Christians' have that just because they go to church on a Sunday they can be dicks the rest of the week (That's based on personal experience BTW and these people were in no way christian)

The attitude that if you're an atheist, you can't possibly have as good a moral code as someone of faith.

The attitude that if you have no faith, you need a faith.

The CofE attitude to women (obviously now they have women bishops but it took them far too long) and the idea that same sex marriage will somehow ruin marriage for everyone else.

Oh, and the idea of the King/Queen being head of CofE (when it was created by Henry VIII who, lets face it, was a bit free with sending his wives to the tower). I'm more for separation of church and state.

WhataRacquet Fri 27-Nov-15 11:00:36

It certainly does ego www.huffingtonpost.com/philip-goldberg/missionaries-in-india_b_4470448.html

many of the shoebox distributors put religious leaflets into the boxes for the children as well.

ZebraLovesKnitting Fri 27-Nov-15 11:02:56

I also disagree with religion (Christianity in our case) being opt-out, it should be opt-in (although I got totally trounced on another thread for that.) I disagree with committing children to anything, especially involving them in rituals. It's hardly starting them off with religious freedom.

WhereYouLeftIt Fri 27-Nov-15 11:04:58

"Most profound observation I've ever heard was from one of the the Sidiqui brothers off of Gogglebox!"
"The most dangerous words in the world are 'you'll get your reward in Heaven'"
Well said, that man!

That pretty much sums up my problem with religion. That the vast majority of people (the congregation) are diddled into accepting shit and restricted lives by the hierarchy of the religion, who generally live high on the hog and get excessive rewards in real life. It's a fucking scam run by eloquent con-men.

Yes there are benefits. But those benefits would occur anyway because human beings have empathy towards each other.

DrDreReturns Fri 27-Nov-15 11:05:01

The evangelising aspect of some religions - particularly Christianity in my experience. Some religious people feel they need to go out and convert people. I find that really offensive, I know my own mind vis a vis my religious faith (or lack of it) and don't take kindly to people trying to change it. I don't have a problem with people practising their religion but don't try and convert me to it.

Fooshufflewickbannanapants Fri 27-Nov-15 11:08:22

youtu.be/Jt1cOnNrY5s
I love this clip it's not funny or cute but eloquently dismisses some prejudice facing Muslims.
OP thats a few sweeping statements,in reality most Christians or Muslims are not extremists in their point of views and don't believe their text is absolute.
I personally am not religious but I think if it's something that you believe in without affecting others in a negative way then fair enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now