Talk

Advanced search

To go out the night before my birthday...?

(26 Posts)
RaptorsCantPlayPoker Fri 27-Nov-15 08:08:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pancakeflipper Fri 27-Nov-15 08:12:25

Can you not go out and get a taxi home so you are there for the children to jump all over you at an early hour whilst hungover?

TanteRose Fri 27-Nov-15 08:15:23

its your birthday, you can do whatever you want!

your Dh is being ridiculous and I hate all this ritual business

go and have fun smile

turningvioletviolet Fri 27-Nov-15 08:16:21

Your DH is being precious. Tell your Dcs your birthday is the day after it actually is if they're that invested. Go out and have a good time. It's your birthday right? Not your Dcs.

RaptorsCantPlayPoker Fri 27-Nov-15 08:18:16

museumum Fri 27-Nov-15 08:18:51

I'm not a great fan of rituals. They become stifling. I think you're picking up and going out for breakfast idea is a good one. And it your birthday so your choice.

TanteRose Fri 27-Nov-15 08:19:43

how old are the DCs?

why would they be upset?

<bemused>

turningvioletviolet Fri 27-Nov-15 08:21:22

It's my dh's birthday next week. He's going away to see some friends. I hadn't thought to be upset about it. Because, you know, we're both adults and quite frankly so long as the Dcs get some cake at some point during the birthday week I doubt they'll give too much thought to it either.

IcecreamBus Fri 27-Nov-15 08:23:37

The way I see it is that as a mum, you probably spend most of your life making sure DCs and DH are happy. It isn't too much to ask to be able to do something that's just for you, especially on your birthday. Have a great time!

RaptorsCantPlayPoker Fri 27-Nov-15 08:24:35

TanteRose Fri 27-Nov-15 08:26:31

exactly!

here you go

cakecakecake

grin

Trills Fri 27-Nov-15 08:26:43

Your plan sounds better

Enjolrass Fri 27-Nov-15 08:27:31

My kids would be bothered, but they would also get over it

ohtheholidays Fri 27-Nov-15 08:28:04

I think the going out for breakfast will be far more of a treat for the DC and you,remind your DH that he won't have to help the children in the kitchen,he won't have to tidy up afterwards and you'll all get to eat what you want for breakfast whilst it's still warm and there'll be no cleaning up afterwards.

HaydeeofMonteCristo Fri 27-Nov-15 08:31:01

Your plan sounds good.

It's important to remember that your role as a woman is not always to make others happy.

SunshineAndShadows Fri 27-Nov-15 08:31:57

Tits your birthday - do what YOU want, your DH and DC get their turns on their birthdays!

HaydeeofMonteCristo Fri 27-Nov-15 08:31:48

Also I think this is precisely the kind of disappointment kids can be expected to get over!

RaptorsCantPlayPoker Fri 27-Nov-15 08:33:26

catfordbetty Fri 27-Nov-15 08:39:11

I think it's a good idea to disrupt these family traditions every so often ... before they actually become millstones, crushing spontaneity.

HPsauciness Fri 27-Nov-15 08:48:55

It's not your children's birthday is it?

So, presents and cards are given when you get back!

category12 Fri 27-Nov-15 08:50:56

I think your dh is emotionally blackmailing you cos he's not keen on you being off overnight. I doubt very much the dc would care about the "ritual" of breakfast in bed (getting mine to help with this was always a pita) and you could always do it the next morning.

Don't let him guilt you - have fun, make friends.

TanteRose Fri 27-Nov-15 08:56:40

Also don't whatever you do have him explain to the kids what will be happening because he'll be all "oh no kids, Mum's decided to go out with friends and won't be home the next morning so you're not going to be able to do the birthday ritual" <sad face>

You tell them and say "Guess what ? We are going to go out for breakfast on my birthday! It's going to be brilliant!"

wink

LizardBreath Fri 27-Nov-15 09:26:13

I totally think you should go, it's your birthday after all and you're there for it!

I do think though, if this thread was about the husband wanting to not be there it would have got a different response...

Thymeout Fri 27-Nov-15 10:50:51

Lizard - yes, so do I. And 'family time' would have been mentioned.

HereIAm20 Fri 27-Nov-15 11:02:32

Exactly what Category 12 said - he doesn't really want you to go and is using the kids thing as an excuse so that he doesn't look like a twat (but he does anyway!)

do your thing. Tell him they'll have time to clean up any mess and set the table for a lovely brunch when you get home (at what time suits you) the next day.

I know you say they are not good close friends (yet) but it is important as you get older to nurture new friendship groups as opportunities lessen over the years. Have fun x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now