Talk

Advanced search

AIBU: to not wake her up?

(20 Posts)
RoobyMyrtle Thu 26-Nov-15 08:28:48

Dd2 (aged 16) got sent home from school yesterday because she felt dizzy & nauseous. She's got a cold so nothing too deadly, it's just knocked her up a bit. Today she looks like death but has got up grimly determined to go to school and not miss anything. I managed to persuade her to miss assembly & free period to rest at home a while and she's fallen asleep on the sofa. AIBU to ignore her instructions and not to wake her in time for her first lesson but just let her sleep? I can't drive, so can't take her in at the last minute.

Alonglongway Thu 26-Nov-15 08:31:21

Do you know what lessons she has? I have DD in year 11 and she's flagging badly now - she took the day off on Tuesday and we judged it by the day's content

rudolphistheboss Thu 26-Nov-15 08:32:43

I think that at 16 and with just a cold she should be at school on time tbh. Especially as she wants to. Hot bath, Lemsip and early bed tonight. Hope she's feeling better soon.

bloodyteenagers Thu 26-Nov-15 08:37:05

It could be the virus that's going around. It completely wipes you out. Has the cold symptoms. I would chuck a cover over her, call in and leave her.

Mistigri Thu 26-Nov-15 08:36:43

Check her timetable and make a decision based on that. On balance I would probably wake her as she wants to go.

catfordbetty Thu 26-Nov-15 08:41:18

Is she a running a fever? If yes - back to bed. If no - into school.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Thu 26-Nov-15 08:43:15

She knows best how she is feeling and whether she needs to be at school or not. She has asked to be woken up and she's old enough to make her own decision, so I would wake her up. I know at the same age I wouldn't have been happy if I had been ignored.

yakari Thu 26-Nov-15 08:45:45

She knows her timetable - and which subjects she needs the time in. Wake her up, look at the timetable, take temp and then let her make an informed decision.

PurpleDaisies Thu 26-Nov-15 08:49:04

She's 16 and old enough to make a sensible decision for herself. Wake her up as she asked you to do.

DeepBlueLake Thu 26-Nov-15 09:14:22

Wake her.

Give her the option again if she wants to go in or not unless she is still feeling dizzy and nauseous then I would tell her to stay home as she obviously got sent home for a reason yesterday.

RoobyMyrtle Thu 26-Nov-15 10:25:19

She's gone in looking like death & with a temperature *puts taxi on speed dial*

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Thu 26-Nov-15 10:28:40

You did the right thing. She clearly has a good work ethic so you should be proud.

Mrscog Thu 26-Nov-15 10:31:15

I'm sure all the people who catch it will be delighted!

ImperialBlether Thu 26-Nov-15 10:34:42

Sorry, but you've done the worst thing. Now everyone will get it - you do realise how closely everyone sits in school? And she'll be touching door handles etc so even others outside her class will get it.

She won't learn anything if she has a temperature - it sounds like she wasn't well enough to make the decision for herself.

howabout Thu 26-Nov-15 10:35:16

I wouldn't have woken her. If she is ill it is doubtful she will learn much. Also my DD's school would be guaranteed to send her straight back home to me in that state. I wouldn't want her spreading her bugs around.

I think at this age it is time for DC to start learning how to learn independently of the school timetable and how to catch up. If she were to rest and recover properly now she would get back to full strength much more quickly. Only commented because I am quite surprised I have a minority view.

borntobequiet Thu 26-Nov-15 10:35:34

If she's running a temperature she should be at home, and she should stay at home until recovered. I'm a retired teacher and know that no good comes of trying to learn when unwell. If she is conscientious and intelligent she will be able to catch up when she is better.

Raxacoricofallapatorius Thu 26-Nov-15 10:36:20

Oh dear. She sounds shattered. Can she sort out getting work to bring home for the weekend? Then she can stay on top of it but take tomorrow off. I suspect they'll send her home today anyway.

RoobyMyrtle Thu 26-Nov-15 10:38:25

My thoughts too tbh, but she caught it at school and lots of other people have it already.

She has a very strong work ethic which is great but also worrying - she's has missed only 5 days of school in 12 years: I've had to retire from work early because of damaging my health permanently, pushing myself too hard after a series of viruses.

borntobequiet Thu 26-Nov-15 10:38:32

And if I were her form tutor I would send her home and inform her subject teachers that I had done so.

schilke Thu 26-Nov-15 10:56:16

My year 11 ds2 has gone in looking awful today. He had his first day off yesterday since year 9. He's worrying about the work he'll have missed.

I would have woken her. If she's anything like ds2 he would have been mad as it might have been a heavy load day. I only persuaded him to take yesterday off as one of the lessons was pe so it wasn't quite such a heavy day.

Obviously if he was recovering from a stomach bug, he'd have had no say and I'd have kept him off. Ds1 has had the same virus (U6) and he took 2 days off which is very unusual. I now have the same sore throat...thanks sons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now