Talk

Advanced search

to think you don't just ask for a lift and make someone go out of their way because you don't want to drive yourself?

(12 Posts)
lightupmynight Wed 25-Nov-15 22:57:11

Going on a night out with some colleagues from work on Friday.

I offered one of them a lift, as its a 50 minute drive from mine and she lives on the way.

Another person who is going (who I'm not close with, and she didn't invite me out for drinks for her birthday drinks with work) was eavesdropping and said - well can I have a lift too then?

No issue if she lived on the way ... but she doesn't. Seriously its a good 30 minutes out of my way.

KeepOnMoving1 Wed 25-Nov-15 22:58:33

Well all you say is that it's 30 min out of your way. Not sure what the issue is?

Scholes34 Wed 25-Nov-15 22:59:05

Just say sorry but it's a bit of a detour.

vvviola Wed 25-Nov-15 23:00:59

You could always say, it's a bit out of the way, but if you can make it to mine/Other Colleague's then you can have a lift? I mean unless you really don't want to share a car with her, in which case "it's a bit out of the way" is a perfectly ok excuse.

GiddyOnZackHunt Wed 25-Nov-15 23:03:01

You either say no sorry it's not going to work (it would add an hour to the trip and that's not possible) or absolutely fine as long as you can get to mine under your own steam by <time you were leaving>

TattyDevine Wed 25-Nov-15 23:04:03

That'd just be a no, sorry...

Arfarfanarf Wed 25-Nov-15 23:04:53

People can ask what they like but they cant make you.

OhPillocks Wed 25-Nov-15 23:05:50

Well that's an easy one!

Sorry I can't help but it's too far in the opposite direction.

OhPillocks Wed 25-Nov-15 23:06:36

So what did you say OP?

Aeroflotgirl Wed 25-Nov-15 23:10:43

It's a very easy no, it's too far, sorry!

Inertia Wed 25-Nov-15 23:12:13

I'd be tempted to say yes, as long as you make your own way to my house for x time and arrange to make your own way home from mine at the end of the evening.

BackforGood Wed 25-Nov-15 23:17:21

No reason she shouldn't ask.
Equally, no reason that you have to say yes.
As others have said, you could say you are tight on time but would be happy if someone can drop her at yours / she can get public transport to yours or to the other colleague who is having a lift.

If going out is a regular thing, then I'd weigh up if it's worth it, to then have a lift off her the next time, so you can have a drink on the next 'do' - only you can judge how "deprived" you feel at not having a drink, over spending extra time giving someone a lift.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now