Talk

Advanced search

Jennifer Aniston & Emirates as

(129 Posts)
Flashbangandgone Wed 25-Nov-15 19:35:50

aibu to hate how unbelievably pretentious this advert is....
For those who haven't seen it, JA wakes from a nightmare in her first class bed on a Emirates flight panicking she's on a plane without a cocktail bar on board... Only to be mightily relieved when she finds it was only a ghastly dream as there is a bat after all!

Who is this ad aimed at given the price of that kind of ticket is what most people would spend on a car. It just seems like a crass way of her flaunting her millions!

I know this isn't important in the grand scheme of things, but it just grates massively!

flustercuck Wed 25-Nov-15 19:40:15

I recently traveled with Emirates and as the plane was coming into land I wished there was another hour left of the flight. The only time I've felt like this about long haul travel. I'd recommend them 8 days a week.

IAmAnAwkwardTurtle Wed 25-Nov-15 19:41:51

She's mocking herself OP

RattusRattus Wed 25-Nov-15 19:45:29

Odd that she's doing an ad for an airline. She's terrified of flying.

LadyColinCampbell Wed 25-Nov-15 19:45:53

Xpost with awkward turtle, Jennifer Aniston seems like quite a smart lady who doesn't mind having a laugh at herself.

Bambambini Wed 25-Nov-15 19:47:34

If i was terrified of flying, it might help to fly first class emirates style. It is pretentious but so true.

BYOSnowman Wed 25-Nov-15 19:47:40

I thought it was tongue in cheek

In reality, how many people watching can afford to fly first and would be influenced by an ad. I assume they are doing it to get their name on people's lips

queenofthepirates Wed 25-Nov-15 19:48:22

I'm afraid I'm the kind of person who pores over travel details in minute detail and just the kind of person who loves Emirates. I ration our baked beans to afford five star travel and luxury hotels. It's the two weeks of the year when everyone has to be lovely to me, no one is sniffy and I get a fabulous breakfast without raising a finger.

In my defence, I blame a childhood spent in leaking tents in Cromer.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Wed 25-Nov-15 19:49:28

I saw it yesterday, if it's supposed to be tongue in cheek it's a bit too subtle for me. It just made me think 'nice work if you can get it hmm'

Yarboosucks Wed 25-Nov-15 19:49:55

As the humour passes silently over the head of OP…. grin

Much prefer this advert to the manipulation of John Lewis or the unadulterated pretentiousness of all the "luxury" perfume houses!

Debinaboat Wed 25-Nov-15 19:50:00

I really like that ad , not a huge fan of Jennifer Anniston , but I think she seems like she has a sense of humour and doesn't take herself too seriously .

MissFitt68 Wed 25-Nov-15 19:51:08

I also thought it was tongue in cheek

kali110 Wed 25-Nov-15 19:51:22

I didn't even realise planes had showers blush

BYOSnowman Wed 25-Nov-15 19:53:39

That's what the ad is for! It's new

VulcanWoman Wed 25-Nov-15 19:53:58

Well, she'll be getting free flights from now on I'd say.

Cookingongas Wed 25-Nov-15 19:57:02

I liked it. It's complete fantasy for me as it's as put if reach as owning my own jet. but I felt she was taking the piss out of herself, so it's okay iykwim

ginghamcricketbox Wed 25-Nov-15 19:58:21

She got paid $5m for it, the free flights are a bonus.

mrsjanedoe Wed 25-Nov-15 20:01:12

It's funny, she is a great actress who doesn't take herself seriously, it's the opposite of pretentious.

How can anyone find this offensive!

Sparklingbrook Wed 25-Nov-15 20:02:04

Who needs to shower on a plane? confused I hate flying, and not even showers or bars could make me feel any happier about it.

DickDewy Wed 25-Nov-15 20:03:47

I like it.

It's what we all aspire to, isn't it? I would happily never fly economy again. We have experienced Emirates first class (air miles) and it is bliss.

3luckystars Wed 25-Nov-15 20:09:21

I think it would have worked a lot better if she had woken from the dream of being on this amazing aircraft, only to find it was actually all true. That would have worked better for me because I may never fly with them, but it would be a dream to do so, I don't like the way it seems like she is looking down on other airlines. It rubbed me up the wrong way.

Crumpet1 Wed 25-Nov-15 20:12:54

It made me want to fly with them. I'll never be able to afford to but a girl can dream!

beardsrock Wed 25-Nov-15 20:16:07

I need to get me on an Emirates flight....

BaronessSamedi Wed 25-Nov-15 20:16:57

just another actress feathering her nest by appearing in tv adverts.

BYOSnowman Wed 25-Nov-15 20:20:39

I don't fly Emirates because I find their employee contracts quite disturbing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now