Talk

Advanced search

Cinema refusal to show the Lord's prayer thread part 2

(774 Posts)
Egosumquisum Wed 25-Nov-15 19:16:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GummyBunting Wed 25-Nov-15 19:21:02

Christmas isn't just for Christians. The celebration started before Christianity and has no religious significance for many of us.

A public area like a cinema is no place for religion (unless you've knowingly chosen to see a film with religious content).

riverwalk Wed 25-Nov-15 19:47:10

I'll say it again, apart from whats been said, what privileges do Christians demand and get in the workplace. Perhaps those that don't agree with the Christmas and Easter holidays could carry on working through it. I bet they'd be moaning then.
Does anyone who doesn't agree with Christian beliefs being enforced in schools etc have issues with any other religions. For instance, while it isn't law Muslims are allowed time off in the workplace to pray, does this not bother anyone, as I'm sure it would if Christians wanted this privilege. It doesn't bother me because I'm tolerant but I'm amazed it wouldn't bother those who find fault with anything pertaining to Christianity. The double standards on here are shocking.

Egosumquisum Wed 25-Nov-15 19:52:11

Yarboosucks Wed 25-Nov-15 19:53:38

As long as the advertising agency in question is consistent, no religious or political advertising, I cannot see what the issue is.

imnotalpharius Wed 25-Nov-15 19:57:53

I am a CofE er who is in favour of disestablishment. It doesn't seem to have harmed Scotland or Wales and I would rather have a head of our own choosing and the ruling government to have no say in our senior appointments. The House of Lords should include the Lords Spiritual but I would prefer an ecumenical spread.

riverwalk Wed 25-Nov-15 20:04:23

I don't know of any Christians who as individuals in the workplace demand any privileges. It is hardly their fault if it's Christian law in schools for prayers and holidays. I have always worked and I have never asked for any concessions because I am a Christian, neither has any I know. The law is a different thing altogether.

Egosumquisum Wed 25-Nov-15 20:06:05

Egosumquisum Wed 25-Nov-15 20:08:48

riverwalk Wed 25-Nov-15 20:10:15

Having weekends off should not be seen as a privilege. They aren't just for Christians otherwise it would be. Easter and Christmas holidays are given to everyone regardless. It would be cause to complain if it was only exclusive to Christians. That argument doesn't stand.

riverwalk Wed 25-Nov-15 20:11:52

Ego is your life seriously affected by any of it. If so what are you doing about it? Or is it just something to moan about.

Egosumquisum Wed 25-Nov-15 20:14:16

Egosumquisum Wed 25-Nov-15 20:15:38

DinoSnores Wed 25-Nov-15 20:24:24

"As long as the advertising agency in question is consistent, no religious or political advertising, I cannot see what the issue is."

But they weren't consistent. The cinemas agreed to have it and even gave them a discount, and then later decided against it inventing a 'no religious advertising' policy last week!

www.thinkinganglicans.org.uk/archives/007118.html

Egosumquisum Wed 25-Nov-15 20:30:41

riverwalk Wed 25-Nov-15 20:46:25

I haven't lost the argument, you have skirted round the issue. You are safe in the knowledge that it's okay to criticise Christianity, I don't even know if there's a name for it, Christianaphobia?, and you defend anything to do with Islam why, surely there are things in that religion you could find fault with. Amazing. But I'll ask once again, where, in the workplace are any concessions especially made for Christians that others who aren't Christian benefit from too. In other words what do they demand that is especially for them, and please don't say they don't have to because it's already in place for them. I'm talking about something that is exclusive to them and no one else.If you can't answer me that sensibly then it is you who have lost the argument.

riverwalk Wed 25-Nov-15 20:50:08

Muslims, Hindus etc don't have it enshrined in law that they get their Holy festivals off. They have to use annual leave. Christians get it because that's the privilege they have. Could that be to do with the fact that we are a Christian country. Where would we draw the line. Muslims and Hindus would surely have that privilege in their countries. Would those countries change the rules for Christians? No that's the privilege they have.

Egosumquisum Wed 25-Nov-15 20:51:32

itsmine Wed 25-Nov-15 20:52:08

Cnmorgan13 Wed 25-Nov-15 20:52:45

Just my opinion but I'm glad they banned it. Keep It in church and out of the cinema. No need for it. If anything, they should play the hallelujah chorus just before the movie starts after the 20+ minutes of adverts we've had to endure hmm

Egosumquisum Wed 25-Nov-15 20:53:46

riverwalk Wed 25-Nov-15 20:59:15

Be careful what you wish for Ego. If the Muslim extremists get their way things will certainly change alright. You really will have something to get het up about then. What an awful awful life we'd all live then.

Egosumquisum Wed 25-Nov-15 21:02:41

redstrawberry10 Wed 25-Nov-15 21:04:21

and you defend anything to do with Islam

on other threads in MN, i have been called as islamophobe. So there. I am actually far harder on islam than christianity, but that's not what THIS thread is about. you are welcome to ask what we think about islam but don't be surprised if we don't open with a tangent on islam. but speaking for myself, there is a reason I don't live in an islamic theocracy like iran and prefer the mild christian theocracy of the UK: it's better here.

But, to answer your question, people should be free to worship who they want as long as it doesn't affect me. You can't impose your blasphemy laws on me. And I think workplaces should make reasonable accommodation for people. i.e. if someone wants to take six 5 minutes breaks instead 1 half hour break so they can pray, so be it (as long as it doesn't adversely affect the employer). Christians and muslims alike.

but as people have said, christians get work place concessions they don't even realize they are getting.

redstrawberry10 Wed 25-Nov-15 21:06:40

If the Muslim extremists get their way things will certainly change alright.

why are you so confused about this? Why would any secularist want to live in an islamic theocracy? none of us want that.

You seem determined to make this about Islam.

because that's the only (non)point she has.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now