Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think politics aren't why I go to tesco?

(27 Posts)
chumbler Wed 25-Nov-15 18:56:33

Went today, lady who works there (in uniform) talking to an elderly couple. "I think we should ban the burka like France. I've got no problem with headscarves but burkas..." That's all I heard as I was concentrating on giving them evils.

Aibu to be really cross about this? I don't go food shopping and expect to hear some rubbish spouted off by someone who works there???

Sparklingbrook Wed 25-Nov-15 19:14:37

Maybe they asked her opinion? You should have been concentrating on your shopping. grin

TwoSmellyDogs Wed 25-Nov-15 19:18:20

What are you - the conversation police? You can be cross about whatever you like but just because a person works somewhere doesn't mean they lose the power of speech you know. You didn't like what she said - so what? SO WHAT? Maybe she wouldn't like what you have to say?

sugar21 Wed 25-Nov-15 19:21:50

Why were you listening

BrandNewAndImproved Wed 25-Nov-15 19:23:20

While your in a uniform you are representing that company.

YANBU op I agree It's unprofessional and since its a supermarket in the UK it should be welcoming to all including women in burkas. How would she know if someone was wearing a burka behind her hearing that.

Flashbangandgone Wed 25-Nov-15 19:24:23

I tend to agree... If someone is in a tesco uniform working at tesco, they are tesco's representative to their customers... That means refraining from stating political or religious opinions, whatever they might be.

In her own time, of course she's free to say what she likes (within the law).

Sparklingbrook Wed 25-Nov-15 19:25:40

If the OP (or anyone else ear wigging) was offended they should have complained.
Maybe the elderly couple did?

BrandNewAndImproved Wed 25-Nov-15 19:27:22

I ear wig all the time blush

VulcanWoman Wed 25-Nov-15 19:27:32

I was in Tesco today, had a member of staff running other customers down to me, went on and on about it too. very unprofessional.

Flumplet Wed 25-Nov-15 19:28:51

I'm inclined to agree - she's paid to sell groceries not provide a commentary on divisive political issues.

HazelOrBigwig Wed 25-Nov-15 19:44:31

I agree with you OP.

Hate it when this happens. I can think of 3 similar examples that happened to me-

1. In a chain chemist, I was buying a pregnancy test, the cashier began a conversation with me that then carried on with the next people in line about how she thought abortion should be outlawed! Bizarre, inappropriate etc.

2. In a chain discount store, I was treated to a strange and forceful lecture from the cashier- who disapproved of 'mixed' relationships, because they might result in having mixed race children, and this 'wasn't fair on them'... I have no idea why she decided to talk to me about this. Also, I am mixed race, but often people do not realise this- she may have done, or not! Very weird.

3. In a public building/organisation- very loud conversation between 2 staff members about the local issues to do with travelling people. Used the most disrespectful language you can think of. Horrible stuff.

chumbler Wed 25-Nov-15 20:50:27

Ah glad iambu!

She was talking to the elderly couple (thibk they agreed)

And definitely agree with pp - what if someone wearing a burka heard her? Not good

chumbler Wed 25-Nov-15 20:51:54

*Ianbu

Ie. I am not being unreasonable

New acronym?!

Sparklingbrook Wed 25-Nov-15 20:52:21

Well you had better get the email of complaint off.

chumbler Wed 25-Nov-15 21:10:13

Hahahhahahaha I had considered it but am getting less cross as the day goes on. Next time I'll be sure to wear my big ears to warn everyone I'm a'listenin

tobysmum77 Wed 25-Nov-15 21:11:04

So if you were happy too give them evils then why didnt you just say 'personally, I think women should be free to wear what they want?'

Owllady Wed 25-Nov-15 21:15:25

You need to report her. It's in her contract that she is not allowed to have inappropriate conversations on the shop floor.
I used to be a retail manager and its a basic customer service thing. I despair a bit at the training (or management) alot of people seem to be getting these days. I was in waitrose and the cashier was having a chat with another and then announced 'but I just don't agree with abortion'
Inappropriate doesn't even cover it really. Awful sad

Lweji Wed 25-Nov-15 21:17:36

I'd agree that was an inappropriate conversation, particularly as it could be heard by other people.

FabergeEggs Wed 25-Nov-15 21:22:21

I completely agree with the staff member <irrelevant>

BlueJug Wed 25-Nov-15 21:28:43

Ha ha! Conversation police!!That's what we need! report, report, denounce, denounce!

chumbler Wed 25-Nov-15 21:32:10

I thought about going over, but I get quite stuttery when cross and with the 2 elderly people there as well I always feel a bit awkward... Just in that they are old white local people (so local I wouldn't be surprised if we were connected in some way) and I do feel that it's a bit awkward to challenge older people on their outdated views at times.... Maybe I should have said something though, as I'd feel underhand making a complaint when I could have explained that I didn't think it was appropriate to her face

Owllady Wed 25-Nov-15 21:36:43

Just report her to the store, you by even have to give her name, just say female member of staff. They'll have a general chat with the staff and maybe go through further training with them. It's completely inappropriate in customer service. I don't know why people think it's amusing or fine. It's in, I would have thought, the vast majority of contracts in customer facing roles to not have inappropriate conversations either with staff or customers within the building or in uniform outside of work. Most places do standard diversity and discrimination training too, so it's not like it's something unusual.

tobysmum77 Thu 26-Nov-15 07:07:49

Reporting is ridiculous. As part of the free country which the op is advocating there is free speech. People are allowed to have opinions that you disagree with even those connected to religion. That they work on the checkout at Tescos is irrelevant imo.

Leelu6 Thu 26-Nov-15 07:26:11

YANBU. If she's talking in her Tesco uniform, she could be seen to be talking for Tesco.

There's a reason why many journalists state 'opinions are my own' on their Twitter profile. Otherwise, they could be perceived to be a platform for their employers.

I would report it.

Owllady Thu 26-Nov-15 08:35:25

Nah, you don't get free speech in a customer facing role representing somebody else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now