Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to want to do damage to the little scrotes?

(96 Posts)
Iwanttokillthem Tue 24-Nov-15 20:49:59

My Dd is in Y11 and is a hardworking girl who just gets on with her work. She always in the top 5 in class and is well regarded by staff and other pupils

Yesterday 2 boys from her year ( not her class) took her coursework book from the classroom and then burned it on their way home from school. One of these bright boys took a video of the burning.

There were rumours around school will day until eventually Dd realised it was her book. She is devasted at the lost coursework and school don't seem to have reacted at all .

I will of course be going in tomorrow

Besides trying to stop myself from skinning the little bastards hides what can I expect school to be doing ?

SallyMcgally Tue 24-Nov-15 20:55:51

Excluding them for theft and wilful damage.
They may need to consult the exam board for guidance about how the loss of her coursework could be managed.
Tell them you're perfectly happy to contact the police, if you're not satisfied with their response - theft, criminal damage and, if the video was circulated, malicious online communication.
Your poor hardworking DD - little bastards. Poor you too xx (and obvs YANBU except that skinning their hides is too soft.)

crossroadsinmylife Tue 24-Nov-15 20:56:42

That is bloody awful. I'd be furious and would certainly be heading down to the school. They should be ensuring your daughter gets time to redo work. The culprits should get a suspension. Unfortunately they won't be able to do much else. You could of course go to the police. Arson. Theft. Etc.

RachelZoe Tue 24-Nov-15 20:57:08

At my kids school they would be most likely expelled immediately and rightly so.

What little shitbags angry

My top concern after that would be that they were going to support her academically to get the coursework redone.

Have they been targeting her specifically or did they just grab a random book and do it?

SquinkiesRule Tue 24-Nov-15 21:02:09

Why should she have to re-do anything, it's classwork surely the teacher has records of all her marks given. Completely out of order if this results in a good student having to repeat anything.
Skin 'em

catfordbetty Tue 24-Nov-15 21:04:16

How horrible. I hope the school does get its act together and respond properly. However, no dispensation from the exam board or punishment for the boys can restore the destroyed work - my sympathy to your daughter.

Palomb Tue 24-Nov-15 21:05:15

I would want the nasty little shit expelled and would involve the police regarding the theft and criminal damaged.

Wolfiefan Tue 24-Nov-15 21:07:10

School should contact the board.
And the bastards need severe punishment.

She shouldn't be asked to do any extra work. There should be special measures in place. (Eg such as after a house fire.)

Poor girl. Xx

y0rkier0se Tue 24-Nov-15 21:07:21

I was about to say YABU and they're only children but it really fucks me off how the hard working kids get screwed over and schools often protect those who do the damage. YANBU.

Iwanttokillthem Tue 24-Nov-15 21:08:53

She thinks she has to redo work and I've said I don't think that's right but since school hasn't actually done anything yet she's in limbo.

She doesn't know these boys even though they are in her year so she has no idea if its personal or not. They may just have happened upon the book in an unattended classroom . Apparently the supply teacher had left them in the room alone and they just took the book. I can sort of understand that but why take it out of school and completely destroy it?

Wolfiefan Tue 24-Nov-15 21:13:10

Do you know the exam board? Can you search online?
School sound a bit crap TBH.

Iwanttokillthem Tue 24-Nov-15 21:14:05

I actually didn't consider the video circulation. Thanks PP for pointing that out.

TurnOffTheTv Tue 24-Nov-15 21:14:16

I would be bloody livid. My daughter is in year 11 and I know how hard she works towards her coursework. Your poor DD she must be gutted.

catfordbetty Tue 24-Nov-15 21:16:23

Exam boards have established procedures for dealing with lost or destroyed coursework. Wait to see what the school says.

scarlets Tue 24-Nov-15 21:24:53

Be very tough. Make it clear that she will not be redoing all the work (the school must liaise with the exam board in this context) and that you'll be going to the police and the local press with the arson footage (take screenshots of it if you haven't already, or at least get the names of children who claim to have seen it) if they're not dealt with severely. I would be gunning for expulsion, but maybe you're kinder than I am. Ffs - these people are 15/16, not little infant school kids with no concept of right and wrong.

vienna1981 Tue 24-Nov-15 21:30:30

A good thrashing is in order for that pair of delinquent turds. There, I've said it.

OP, I hope your daughter gets nothing less than the school's full support in this matter. And the same for you flowers.

Missdread Tue 24-Nov-15 21:30:08

Agree with the above OP. Your daughter must NOT be expected to redo ANYTHING. Make this very clear with the Head and ensure it is properly dealt with through the exam board. You will need written assurance from them that this will not adversely affect her final grade. I'd be hopping mad! Your poor DD!

MascaraAndConverse89 Tue 24-Nov-15 21:31:06

I was about to say YABU and they're only children but it really fucks me off how the hard working kids get screwed over and schools often protect those who do the damage. YANBU.

Well I'm glad you came to your senses! They're 15/16 and old enough to know better. They're barely children.

Youarentkiddingme Tue 24-Nov-15 21:32:07

Your poor DD angry

Is the school aware of what was done and do they ha proof of the culprits? Have they spoken to your DD?
They won't be able to 'just exclude' these pupils. There are procedures in place and evidence must be clear cut broke final decisions are made. As the police need before they arrest, and judges before conviction etc.

Right now the way the school keeps your DD informed and supports her mental, emotional and academic well being should be top of their agenda alongside catching dishing out consequences to the perpetrators.

Even if they don't know what the rules are with dispensation etc they should be keeping your DD informed about what they are doing and a timescale they are going to get back to her in.

3littlefrogs Tue 24-Nov-15 21:33:53

Police.
Theft and criminal damage.
Save the video if you can - it is evidence.
The age of criminal responsibility is 10.

IME schools are utterly pathetic at dealing with this sort of thing.

SurlyCue Tue 24-Nov-15 21:36:12

Im guessing there was only a hard copy of the coursework? She didnt have it saved on her computer or a school storage system?

sparklesandglitterx Tue 24-Nov-15 21:36:13

How disgusting sad

Your poor DD...I remember when I was that age some horrible twat threw black paint on my final piece for my GCSE art, I had to re do it as the teachers didn't give a shit ...I still got an A ;)

Hope it gets sorted

ClashOfUsernames Tue 24-Nov-15 21:37:30

Your poor DD sad

O hope the school
Come down hard on them!

Curioushorse Tue 24-Nov-15 21:38:06

Slightly intrigued as to how she had coursework home with her. I thought most GCSE work this year was being carried out in the form of controlled assessments, which the school are then obliged to keep safely for the students. Any chance you can give us the subject? I should then be able to work out the rulings for you. I'm almost certainly being stupid, but I can't think of any subjects where they are still allowed to do coursework outside of exam conditions.......this is relevant, because if she has done a controlled assessment and then taken it home, the school are at fault, but it would also be a complete non-issue, because they would have had to store the grades.

Similarly, whilst I'm absolutely sure a conscientious Year 11 student would be very upset at the loss of work done in class time (if that's what's been burnt)....if it is just class work, I tend to find that students like your DD will have learnt most of her work already just by writing it out i.e. she wouldn't really need the work for revision anyway.

And in our school? Permanent exclusion for the boys. Theft and very dangerous vandalism.

Toughasoldboots Tue 24-Nov-15 21:40:09

My ds is in year 11 and definitely still has coursework brought home for a couple of subjects.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now