Talk

Advanced search

AIBU about delivery driver?

(8 Posts)
AlaskanSnow Tue 24-Nov-15 11:28:28

Just got back home, to find a card from fed-ex thorough the door. I wasn't expecting this delivery today, I was told tomorrow otherwise I wouldn't have gone out.

The card said my package was left "in the greenhouse"

To get to the greenhouse, the driver had let themselves through a locked (bolted on the inside part of fence, couldn't be seen from driveway) 6ft gate into the back garden, had a wander round, bypassed a couple of sheds (padlocked) and left my delivery in the greenhouse which is at the bottom of my long garden.

I really don't like the idea of the delivery person just wandering freely about my property, which is locked.
What happened to leaving it with a neighbour, or taking it back to depot?
Or, crazily, delivering it on the actual day I was told.

AIBU to be annoyed? And would it be worth complaining, or will they just think I'm one of "those" and ignore it?

wasonthelist Tue 24-Nov-15 11:32:41

Yanbu but based on my experience, delivery cos couldn't care less about security, dangerous driving or anythjng else their employees do.

Arfarfanarf Tue 24-Nov-15 11:32:50

The driver went to considerable lengths to find a safe place to leave your parcel. I wouldn't complain about that. It's what they are told to do and what most people want - find a safe place, out of view. I might complain about it not coming on the booked day if you'd agreed a specific day, they should stick to that.

But then, I've had a parcel handed to my neighbours 7 yr old daughter, in the middle of the street, so actually taking time to find a safe place on your property is a luxury I can only dream of grin

To answer your question, I think they probably will be a bit bemused, but if you want to complain, that's entirely up to you.

ButterflyUpSoHigh Tue 24-Nov-15 11:34:37

I would be very grateful the driver found somewhere safe to put it. Saving you the hassle of having to see a neighbour or drive to the depot.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Tue 24-Nov-15 11:34:58

If there's no harm done, I think I'd prefer to have the package.

We're ordering so much stuff online these days I think it's becoming a real chore for neighbours who are in all day to take in packages for people who have to go out, and lots refuse.

TheWitTank Tue 24-Nov-15 11:38:45

I suppose at least he tried to find a dry, safe place for your parcel.
I once had the postman walk into my house (no knocking, just opened door at strolled in) to give me a parcel. I was mid washing sort out, has just a few minutes before been standing in my bra blow drying my hair. I have a big dog, fortunately very friendly, but was prone to jumping up back then when she was a puppy. He was lucky he wasn't flat on his back being licked to death! I was speechless as he walked in his boots through my living room to hand me my parcel as I knelt on the floor, no explanations. Bizarre! Taught me to lock the door though.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 24-Nov-15 11:40:00

YABU. As a delivery driver he needs to be honest or he'd be nicking the parcels! grin He also left written proof that he had accessed your property, putting him at risk if you decided to accuse him of nicking something.

The last thing anyone needs is the hassle of redelivery/depot pickups. You should be grateful he went to so much effort to leave your parcel somewhere safe and dry.

wowfudge Tue 24-Nov-15 11:56:05

From a legal point of view it is implied that permission is given to the postman, delivery drivers, etc to come onto your property to make deliveries. If you don't like and don't want that then you need to put a notice to that effect at the entrance.

I think you are being unnecessarily precious - did he leave the gate open? I've known delivery drivers lob things over gates and deliver furniture outside the agreed time slot and leave it in the rain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now