Talk

Advanced search

Airport scanners are a bit crap

(8 Posts)
raranah Tue 24-Nov-15 07:36:09

Yesterday I had my bag searched as they noticed some scissors.

The scissors must have been there over a year, hidden under the lining when I lost them. Have been through security at least 10 times before they were noticed.

Silly they were taken off me as once through security you can go to a stake house and get a bigger blade or some similar scissors from suoerdrug!

Hulababy Tue 24-Nov-15 07:39:14

Normally in restaurants place side they give you knives with far shorter, blunter blades than normal. In my experience anyway.

Dd did manage to travel out of the U.K. with a pair of safety scissors in her pencil case a year ago - by accident. They were noticed and removed by the scanners on the way home.

CMOTDibbler Tue 24-Nov-15 07:44:39

You are allowed short bladed scissors on flights, and they only sell the allowed ones in airside shops. However, when they are on high alert, they may be more concerned about things being exactly allowed (obv I don't know which scissors you had).

Airport restaurant knives are special designs - short and rounded

DirtyBlonde Tue 24-Nov-15 07:45:05

If they were sufficiently unobtrusive in the lining that you hadn't noticed them (despite searching) for over a year, I'm guessing they were very small scissors.

And perhaps they were seen, but allowed to proceed, as too small to pose a threat. But in current circumstances, discretionary common sense might have been curtailed.

(Agree about blunter knives in cafes airside),

raranah Tue 24-Nov-15 07:46:59

No they were big scissors far too long to be allowed.

Ds has gone through with a 2 l bottle of pop before, without it being noticed.

Does seem that basic obvious things are missed.

Lweji Tue 24-Nov-15 07:53:47

I've recently gone though with a very long pin. I only noticed it after going through security. But then, on the way back, I just put it in the bottom side pocket of the case and they didn't detect it.
I also once went through with a bottle of water (had forgotten about it).
Airport security, IMO, is mostly for show.

wowfudge Tue 24-Nov-15 07:55:42

We had a similar experience. Not found after they showed up on an X-ray machine leaving the UK, but found straightaway in Dublin going through security there.

raranah Tue 24-Nov-15 07:58:35

Totally agree that its for show.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now