Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to think this was uncalled for? (work colleague)

(15 Posts)
lightupmynight Mon 23-Nov-15 22:51:16

I made a mistake with a query at work (nothing major at all) and a colleague picked up on it.

She then decided to go straight to my manager and write a long email about what I'd done and that she'd now put it right.

She never said a single word to me herself, or at least cc me into the email.

I come across mistakes all the time and if its just that (a genuine mistake and not a training issue) then I just correct it and move on.

YakTriangle Mon 23-Nov-15 22:54:31

Sounds like someone who either doesn't like you and wants to see you get into trouble for a small mistake, or they just want attention and praise from the more powerful people for telling the manager. Either way it sounds like an overreaction unless it is a mistake that could turn into something more serious if not dealt with properly.

ceeveebee Mon 23-Nov-15 22:56:48

Totally uncalled for.
Tbh as a manager I would not be impressed if one of my team came to me with an issue without discussing with their colleague first.

lightupmynight Mon 23-Nov-15 22:58:13

they just want attention and praise from the more powerful people for telling the manager

I actually think you have it spot on.

She is very attention seeking, even the managers have commented that she is.

And thankfully it wasn't a mistake that could have turned into something more serious (I'd understand then) ... just so annoyed that she could have sent me a quick email to say hey I noticed this, but don't worry I've corrected it now etc.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Mon 23-Nov-15 23:38:54

Totally uncalled for. I take it shes gone through her perfect existence being "misfuckingstakeless". Well if that is the case. Trust me when the arse licking jobs worth cunt does balls up it will be a cracker!!!!
Then you can fun snitching about her, but my insticts tell me you're too decent and too much of nice person, and I mean that in the nicest possible way.
I come across mistakes all the . time. I just correct it and move on. Well exactly , what most of do, but we're no cranks, are we. As the saying goes There really is always one!

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Mon 23-Nov-15 23:40:09

Run not fun snitching.
You know I grew out of that when was 10. She seems to me like she still hasn't left junior school.

RunRabbitRunRabbit Mon 23-Nov-15 23:51:25

She'll look crap to the manager. If that mistake is the worst dirt she can find on you then your manager might be impressed with you.

SummerNights1986 Tue 24-Nov-15 00:13:31

I think it depends on what her job role is.

I have pissed off a fair few colleagues over the time I've been in my current role.

I'm not in a direct auditing or checking role, but my job does involve having input into cases that others have worked on.

If I pick up an error (even a simple one, easily put right) or an inconsistency (such as a simple case seeming to have taken someone longer than necessary to complete) then i'm duty bound to report it to their manager so that they can arrange further action/feedback/bla bla if required.

It pisses people off because those that I've had to report think i'm a jobsworth. But mainly they don't realise that I get randomly audited on my work. And if my auditor started picking up errors in cases I've been involved in, but that I hadn't seemed to identify or report myself then i'd be doing a long walk off a short plank.

Even a simple error that's already corrected could lead to shit rolling downhill in future should a client complain/a case reveiew be warranted and so on. I'm not prepared to cover up other people's mistakes when it puts me at risk if the shit hit the fan.

So I think that you may be bu op tbh.

Senpai Tue 24-Nov-15 06:03:52

If she's in a job where it's her job to look for errors, you're being a bit unfair on her (even if she went about it in the most obnoxious was possible).

But, if it's a harmless mistake and she's just snooping through your stuff, the manager isn't going to be impressed with that anyway. If I was a manager and someone wrote me an email about a petty mistake that could be solved quicker than it took them to write said email, I'd be incredibly underwhelmed with their professionalism.

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Tue 24-Nov-15 06:09:02

Depends on the context.

Depends on the mistake, the position you both hold, how often mistakes are made, what the work's policy is regarding mistakes.

What was the outcome?

WhatamessIgotinto Tue 24-Nov-15 06:24:00

Summer I used to have a very similar role. I always used to give people a 'heads up' if I had to highlight something and found most people understood that it was just part of my job.

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Tue 24-Nov-15 06:43:56

How did you find out about the email? Did the colleague tell you or were you called into the boss for a telling off?

SarahSavesTheDay Tue 24-Nov-15 06:46:48

In the absence of some backstory, she was being completely unreasonable and your boss will think she's a scheming sycophant.

GruntledOne Tue 24-Nov-15 07:22:22

Can you send her a mild, short email copied in to your manager thanking her for spotting the error but suggesting that in future it would be simpler and more efficient for her to bring such issues direct to you to sort out?

ZoeTurtle Tue 24-Nov-15 14:11:31

I had this with a colleague this week and he has form for it. Unfortunately he's very senior so not a lot I can do about it. It really pisses me off though and makes me more unwilling to help him out beyond my job description.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now