Talk

Advanced search

To tell most of the people we buy for that we shouldn't do Christmas for each other this year?

(10 Posts)
MaryPoppinsPenguins Mon 23-Nov-15 20:27:01

Is it too late, given that it's nearly December?

DH and I are in the process of buying a house, the DD's have So Much Crap that I'm trying to downsize anyway and I'm having enough trouble thinking of anything we can buy them that we have room for, let alone loads of other stuff. Our new house is going to be smaller, we're losing our playroom (for the time being) and a spare bedroom...

We usually but for a lot of people. Around 10 friends and their children and my siblings, DH's siblings, nieces and nephews etc..

I want to only but for immediate family and tell all friends that we shouldn't buy for each other, and all siblings that we should only buy for the children...

Is this going to make me really unpopular given that some people might have started shopping already?

MaryPoppinsPenguins Mon 23-Nov-15 20:27:57

Buy! Not but.....

Cloudyflower Mon 23-Nov-15 20:35:37

I think you've left it too late for this year, most people have started their shopping by now.

jevoudrais Mon 23-Nov-15 21:13:54

I think its a bit late too. If others have as many to buy for as you, they must have already started?

mrsjanedoe Mon 23-Nov-15 21:15:35

Just a month before Christmas? You have left it far too late, this sort of announcement/request should be made in September!

DinosaursRoar Mon 23-Nov-15 21:18:49

Agree, too late. If it's not about finances, just you not wanting stuff then you should just smile and accept with good grace. anyone who asks for suggestions, you could say either let's not bother this year or small things (books? Don't take up much room!).

NickyEds Mon 23-Nov-15 21:29:44

Yes- it's too late. I'd be pretty pissed off if one of my friends did this as I've already done most of my shopping. We sort of tried to suggest that we only buy for kids in the family last year and it went down like a lead balloon.

FormerlyKnownasFK Mon 23-Nov-15 21:38:09

It is too late now, unless someone asks you and then you could try the "shall we bother this year" line.

I dropped present buying for anyone other than my parents, my siblings & nieces & nephews years ago. Parents & siblings just small things. No-one ever seemed bothered when the suggestion came up.

Spellcaster Mon 23-Nov-15 22:03:58

The £5 or £10 rule comes in handy. Last year we bought our house and were so broke for 6 months as a result. Missed the Xmas meal at work which raised a few eyebrows but it was not their business that I didn't have a spare 20 quid in December! Anyone who has moved or bought a house knows how stressful and expensive it is. So people who care about you will see and care about you at this time. It is not too late! Please don't go into debt just to avoid some inconsiderate individuals getting their knickers in a twist. Your financial health is way more important. Good luck.

Postchildrenpregranny Mon 23-Nov-15 22:07:17

I used DH redundancy (and financial pressures-genuine) as a reason to stop exchanging presents (Christmas and birthdays) with friends (we have a tiny family) .No one minded and we left it like that. I didnt wait til December though .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now