Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think we should treat cleaners with a modicum of respect?!

(41 Posts)
MrsGideon Mon 23-Nov-15 16:27:23

I know I am not being unreasonable but I need to vent.

I'm sick of working in an office in the City of London, where people think they are above basic consideration to other people. Despite many signs around the kitchen area asking people to put things in the dishwasher, by the end of the day the counters are still positively groaning with all the mugs, bowls, plates etc stacked untidily all over the place.

And then there are the toilets. There's one on our floor which is down its own separate corridor so tends to invite the kinds of people who require a bit of extra privacy (if you know what I mean...). The state of this toilet by about lunchtime every day absolutely boggles the mind! We're talking fearsome skid/splatter marks, greasy toilet seat, water and soap everywhere and... BOGIES wiped on the walls, the door - anywhere except the loo roll and sink where they could be disposed of cleanly! THESE PEOPLE ARE ADULTS!

Now, I'm aware that it is a cleaner's job to you know, clean up after people, but AIBU to think we could go a little way to making their lives a bit easier by not behaving like disgusting animals?!

ZoeTurtle Mon 23-Nov-15 16:30:46

This isn't an issue of treating cleaners with respect, this is an issue with lazy, entitled adults with no concept of hygiene. Our office is pretty good but oh my god yes, the state of the toilets! There are only about 15 women there on a daily basis yet we get the kind of thing you describe. If the weird MN aversion to toilet brushes extended to our loos, I dread to think how bad it would be...

MrsGideon Mon 23-Nov-15 16:34:23

You know, it's odd because although there is always detritus and skid marks in the loo, the state of the toilet brush and its holder are even worse

SarahSavesTheDay Mon 23-Nov-15 16:36:20

It's disgraceful. I also don't like the pernicious use of 'cleaner' as shorthand for 'undesirable job'.

Lostcat2 Mon 23-Nov-15 16:38:27

Dirty bastards.

ILiveAtTheBeach Mon 23-Nov-15 16:38:47

YANBU. I feel the same way about waiters/shop assistants, as people are always rude to them. I could win the lottery tomorrow and I would never treat a worker of any kind, with disrespect. Manners cost nothing.

OurBlanche Mon 23-Nov-15 16:38:55

Yes! YABVVU - they deserve far more than a mere modicum of respect. smile

And your colleagues are total twats!

catfordbetty Mon 23-Nov-15 16:40:39

This isn't an issue of treating cleaners with respect

Yes it is. And I think they often deserve more than the modicum the OP suggests.

Wishful80smontage Mon 23-Nov-15 16:42:06

People are grim aren't they sad I worked in a local government building- the toilets for our dept and the next one (both closed to the public and staffed by quite top dogs) were disgusting. There were regular notices in the ladies loos reminding people to leave the toilet seat (yes seat) clean of blood and faecal matter shock really

gamerchick Mon 23-Nov-15 16:46:31

They're tough in our place, the cleaners are not there to clean up after people. Cups left out stay there growing civilisations, dishes and whatnot left in the kitchen or draining board are thrown in the bin. Toilets left in a state are photographed and a warning sent out to all staff.

Makes me wonder what kind of state some people's houses are in tbh.

MrsGideon Mon 23-Nov-15 16:51:32

Woah woah woah! Of course I think cleaners (what else should I call them SarahSavesTheDay?) should be treated with more than a modicum - it's an expression!!

SarahSavesTheDay Mon 23-Nov-15 17:01:06

MrsGideon that really was not an attack on your post, sorry if it came across that way! My point was intended separately from yours.

OurBlanche Mon 23-Nov-15 17:02:49

Sorry MrsG - I did add a smile to indicate I understood that! smile

Your colleagues are still utterly disgusting pratts!

JoeyJoeJoeJuniorShabadoo Mon 23-Nov-15 17:09:05

I've always been a strong believer in that its a cleaners job to clean not to tidy up after people.
It boils my blood when someone drops litter or makes a mess and then says "its the cleaners job to tidy it up". It bloody well isn't.

JoeyJoeJoeJuniorShabadoo Mon 23-Nov-15 17:10:58

Who was it that said that you can judge a man not by how he treats his equals but by how he treats his inferiors?

JoeyJoeJoeJuniorShabadoo Mon 23-Nov-15 17:11:19

Ah, wait. That would be Dumbledore in Harry Potter... blush

MrsGideon Mon 23-Nov-15 17:14:58

Exactly and neither is it acceptable to think that just because their job is to clean, that they should have no objection to scrubbing your feces or snot off various surfaces because you can't be bothered to do it yourself (or yknow, not get it on those surfaces in the first place)

It just really makes my blood boil! The cleaners in our building are absolutely lovely and always up for having a chat, but most people just seem to pretend they're automatons or something.

[I should add that I am in a serviced office, so these people are not in fact my colleagues, but people working for other companies based in the same building]

MrsGideon Mon 23-Nov-15 17:15:53

Sarah and OurBlanche No worries! I always just get really anxious posting in AIBU that people will get the wrong end of the stick blush

VestalVirgin Mon 23-Nov-15 17:18:26

Bogies? You mean, those things that come out of one's nose? Why would one not dispose of that with a handkerchief, or toilet paper?

Some people ... I mean, there can be accidents while going to the toilet, and maybe some people don't know how to clean a toilet without full cleaning equipment - but bogies? That seems like they're doing it on purpose.

Could someone explain to me what is up with mumsnet and aversion to toilet brushes? I mean, I think toilet brushes are unhygienic and dirty and bacteria will thrive in the holder ... but I honestly see no alternative to toilet brushes if you don't want a dirty toilet.

@gamerchick: Probably a better state. I have seen some pretty dirty kitchens and living rooms, but even people who don't mind a lot of dust, or plates piling high in the kitchen, seem to draw a line at the toilet.

StarkyTheDirewolf Mon 23-Nov-15 17:23:40

JoeyJoeJoeJuniorShabadoo I agree with Dumbledore, he's a legend grin

wheelsonabus Mon 23-Nov-15 17:24:33

I used to clean toilets and some people are filthy! Men and women alike would leave toilet paper anywhere but the toilets, sanitary products, sick, poo, tights down the loo so it blocked and over flowed and - you've guessed it - I had to put my (gloved) hand down to pull them out. I think there are a minority of extremely selfish people who just don't give a shit and actually do things to upset the cleaners because it would be just as easy to put a nappy in the nappy bin than try and flush it down the bloody toilet!!!!

MrsGideon Mon 23-Nov-15 17:26:13

VestalVirgin

When I said the toilet brush holder was worse than the toilet itself, I didn't mean it has some microscopic flecks of bacteria floating in it... I mean it's overflowing with brown sludge. As in poo.

nortonhouse Mon 23-Nov-15 18:38:18

The truly well-mannered treat everyone the same, with perfect good manners - end of.
I just cannot begin to imagine how people think it is all right to leave any public or private space in the state you describe, OP, let alone expect a fellow human being to clean it up.

whois Mon 23-Nov-15 20:02:32

At my work people routinely pebble dash the toilet with shit. There are toilet brushes you can use. It's just not appropriate to smear your shit around and leave it for the next person to find. This is a ladies toilet in a corporate office in the wharf.

DanglyEarrings Mon 23-Nov-15 20:47:53

We are a cleaning company and it never actually occurred to me in all my years within this industry that anyone considered either us or our employees as their 'inferiors' we usually get treated like gold dust, so that reference alone was a bit of an eye-opener but maybe it's different in the commercial arena, I'm glad we do domestic.

I wouldn't have my staff clean any of the things described in the OP and would not keep a client who left things like that for them to clean up, luckily we haven't any like that ... <touches wood>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now