Talk

Advanced search

to tell him to

(14 Posts)
fairyfeatures Mon 23-Nov-15 13:23:35

shut the fuck up??

Guy at work. HAS to talk about the price he pays for EVERYTHING!! This time of year, it is unbearable. Today is the ridiculously priced (designer label) outfit that he has chosen to buy his 7 year old son...

FFS, we really do not care... Surely by our unimpressed mm's and yeah's, he can tell?? We are neither impressed nor jealous of on what and how much of your money you spend... asshole!

Twitterqueen Mon 23-Nov-15 13:27:16

Can you do the "I'm sorry, I never talk about money - I've been brought up to believe it's a little non-u"

and if he asks what non-u is, say "manners, dear boy, manners."

or "gosh, I'm afraid I never mention money. So common darling."

or just yawn, for a very, very, very long time and change the subject.

Jackie0 Mon 23-Nov-15 13:29:31

Haha brilliant Twitterqueen, I would totally do that , and have done.

Arfarfanarf Mon 23-Nov-15 13:30:30

Do a sympathetic voice and say never mind, if thats all you can afford nobody will judge you.

grin

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Mon 23-Nov-15 13:30:46

I have someone like this in my life, she also competes with everything everyone buys.

She can turn a 'Hi how are you' into a 'I bought a new car for ££££ a puppy for £££ and just booked a £££££ holiday' in 3 seconds.

I find sniggering and saying "mug" every time she mentions the price of anything works fairly well.

IwishIwasinNewYork Mon 23-Nov-15 13:37:49

Everytime he mentions money yell CARCASS* very loudly. That'll learn him. It might mean you lose your job, but it will be worth it.

*TAAT

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Mon 23-Nov-15 13:41:39

Annoying as fuck arent they braggers.
I was in the launderette once with my then little girl, I only ever dressed her in H and M and Ethel's Adsa Primark wasn't born at this time. It sounds like I'm prattling on or if you prefer chatting shit but it is relevant to the story.
Anyway this women this women started to talking to me all very nice and then the classic came out Oh my son and daughter in law have got a little one about her age (pointing to DD) They have in all the latest gear. And pay £100s of pounds out for each outfit. I just hit back with more fool them in a few years down the line their circumstances change and they can't afford it and shes demanding it, which you could not blame her. If it's what she's used to. Any way I think children look loveley in anything they have on. I'm not using her as a designer advert. What was she expecting me to do jump up and congrsulaste her and say tell your DS and Dil well done on dressing their DD in "all the latest gear". I can't stand showing off. I just put them back down to size.

DeoGratias Mon 23-Nov-15 14:16:27

I necer understand why people think it will make them look good to go on about prices like that. It just makes them seem like a wasteful fool who has decided to put posh clothes over paying school fees or giving to the poor or whatever.

dodobookends Mon 23-Nov-15 14:35:57

"You paid how much? For that? Wow, they really saw you coming didn't they?!!!"

fairyfeatures Mon 23-Nov-15 15:25:13

Some of my favourites on here. I do love to tell him that they saw him coming and I got something much cheaper elsewhere.

He actually has his kids Christmas presents being stored here in the office - but he wont lock them in a cupboard - no they have to be out on display so whenever someone asks him about them, he can gleefully go through each item and how much it cost! Seriously. Fuck off.

I'm more excited to get away from his nonsense than work for Christmas break!!

WicksEnd Mon 23-Nov-15 17:23:45

Oh god I work with one of them too sad
He is the most irritating self absorbed shit head and one day I swear to god I'm going to lose it.
He has to tell everyone every morning what he ate and drank the night before.
What he's about to eat, going to eat and not going to eat.
He doesn't just brag about stuff he's bought but stuff that's, in his opinion not good enough quality, so we'll have a whole afternoon on something he has seen but not bought.
Every single thing is a drama. The man can't go for a piss without involving the whole office and he also shares inappropriate stories about his bowels and his sex life.

If anybody can tell me how to Get him to STFU and do some work then I'll owe you my life sad
Unfortunately he is senior to me.

Fratelli Mon 23-Nov-15 18:30:40

Just tell him you find it tacky to talk about money. I hate people doing this!

Topseyt Mon 23-Nov-15 18:54:18

..... or you could raise your eyebrows and say "is that really all you can afford. Your poor kids!" wink

Does he give people gifts with the price tag still attached to let them know what a stupidly expensive gift he has bought?

They are irritating, these people.

Jux Wed 25-Nov-15 16:42:31

Hide the most expensive present. Lock it in a cupboard or something; when he panics that it's been nicked tell him calmly you knew it wasn't safe left lying about and put it somewhere safe. Then be unsure about where the safe place is for an afternoon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now