To find the use of emojis

(39 Posts)
dingalong Mon 23-Nov-15 10:46:06

I add a smiley or sad face for a bit of emphasis but find the use of emoji's to replace using any words lazy and annoying.

In context - dog ran off on dh who was looking for him but dog got hit by a car. We were searching for hours. He's got a broken leg. I'm furious with dh but he feels terrible and im waiting for a call to bring home dog.

I got a sad face emoji from my best friend. I'd never say it to her but I think it's a lazy response. If you don't have time for a proper message - wait but don't send me a single pathetic face

What do others think. It got me thinking of science fiction - will we all be communicating by emojis and language will disappear (ironic smile )

usual Mon 23-Nov-15 10:50:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gamerchick Mon 23-Nov-15 10:55:38

You know what's going to happen now don't you OP grin

VulcanWoman Mon 23-Nov-15 11:03:28

What I'd like to know is where is the full list on Mumsnet that I can have a look at, see there's another one, the bike, I know the dragon, clover leaf and santa. plus a few others, I would like the full list to look at though please.
OP, least your friend responded, that's more than a lot do, I like the stickers and all.

BastardGoDarkly Mon 23-Nov-15 11:05:45

Yes, I'm with you op. When it's something sad, that's clearly upset you, it's lazy to do a sad face.

VulcanWoman Mon 23-Nov-15 11:08:17

Maybe people are losing the art of conversation, which I can totally see happening, especially in person.

gleam Mon 23-Nov-15 11:13:49

😯
It might just have been a quick response by your friend and she'll respond at more length when she's got more time?

reni2 Mon 23-Nov-15 11:19:02

This thread will have loads of emojis. They will have to become much more sophisticated to replace language.

Gisforgustywinds Mon 23-Nov-15 11:23:00

Your friend was either too busy at the time but wanted to respond quickly or she was indeed no bothered very much.

"What do others think. It got me thinking of science fiction - will we all be communicating by emojis and language will disappear"
Emojis are a type of (visual) language, aren't they?

MistressoftheYoniverse Mon 23-Nov-15 11:25:08

shock death is too good for her..hmm

MistressoftheYoniverse Mon 23-Nov-15 11:27:17

It was a way of saying I hear you and I'm sad too...or the other hand death might be too good for her! grin

IwishIwasinNewYork Mon 23-Nov-15 11:27:53

I like an emoji, they don't offend me in general and can be quite amusing.

But I agree in this case, OP.

I'm sorry about your dog and hope he's ok thanks

VulcanWoman Mon 23-Nov-15 11:28:33

Yeah, maybe it will have to morph in to something like Hieroglyphics.

ZoeTurtle Mon 23-Nov-15 11:32:20

YABU. Maybe you only use them when you're feeling lazy, but she probably used it because it summed up how she was feeling, plus there's hardly anything to say in that situation to make it better.

FirstWeTakeManhattan Mon 23-Nov-15 11:33:42

I add a smiley or sad face for a bit of emphasis but find the use of emoji's to replace using any words lazy and annoying

YANBU OP.

I sometimes add an upbeat emoji, but I tend not to use 'sad' ones as I'd rather use words.

I would have found your friend's response a bit 'can't be arsed to actually say anything.'

BrideOfWankenstein Mon 23-Nov-15 11:36:26

That's πŸ’©πŸ’©πŸ’©

VulcanWoman Mon 23-Nov-15 11:39:14

What are these boxes supposed to mean, Anyone got any idea where the list of emoji are on MN?

MistressoftheYoniverse Mon 23-Nov-15 11:42:13

flowers

Samcro Mon 23-Nov-15 11:42:22

santa

BastardGoDarkly Mon 23-Nov-15 11:44:55

They're emojis from mobiles that are now showing (for some) on MN. Some people just see them as square boxes though Vulcan

BastardGoDarkly Mon 23-Nov-15 11:45:57

The only emoji list is below the message box. The others are old that people remember smile

BastardGoDarkly Mon 23-Nov-15 11:46:16

dragon

Samcro Mon 23-Nov-15 11:47:52

πŸ’€πŸ‘ΉπŸ‘»

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Mon 23-Nov-15 11:50:53

πŸΆπŸ€•πŸ˜”

VulcanWoman Mon 23-Nov-15 11:51:02

Darkly thanks for that. MN, come on, please can we have full list, I like pictures. shamrock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now