Talk

Advanced search

to think it's kind of wrong for couples to use Twitter instead of texting each other?

(22 Posts)
noclueses Mon 23-Nov-15 01:40:40

I'm trying out twitter, and have looked on some accounts to see how it's done. Noticed that one couple who tbf mostly just post info on their work/day, also at times exchanging lovey-dovey messages, nothing OTT but on the lines of 'missing you' with kisses, and 'I can't sleep can you come over'. The woman of the couple does it more.

Is this normal on twitter? I can't see why would anyone do it when they could text instead, all the private stuff. They both have a lot of followers (many hundreds) who then read it. Is it sort of a thing to be a bit exhibitionist on twitter? Or is it just to let everyone know that both are in a relationship as there is no FB-style relationship status on there?

Cloppysow Mon 23-Nov-15 01:49:26

I don't understand twitter.

Nor do i understand couples who play out their relationships on social media. Vom.

Redglitter Mon 23-Nov-15 01:52:44

I've got a colleague on FB who regularly posts to his 'gorgeous sexy wife' who then says how much she loves him

Ffs you're in the same bloody house. Step away from the phones and talk to each other

pinotblush Mon 23-Nov-15 01:54:38

same here, dont use twitter, dont use instagram, dont use facebook. text to say when and where. thats it. i tend to speak to people.

BondJayneBond Mon 23-Nov-15 02:02:58

The lovely dovey stuff is mildly annoying, but it could be worse.

The ones that really have me confused hmm are the sort where the couple have clearly been having some nasty argument, and have then taken it onto FB / Twitter etc with posts saying all sorts of horrible things about each other.

I saw one on FB tonight where the wife had gone and written a poem about how mean her husband had been, followed with a post about how he had a lot of making up to do.

I just don't think social media is a good place for this sort of thing.

MistressoftheYoniverse Mon 23-Nov-15 02:19:40

Twitter is bollox ...I know people love it but I just don't see why?? utter tosh..FB is better makes more sense kinda... but personal business online...I believe that is foolish and childish..I mostly use it to watch other people putting incredibly weird/up-lifting/crazy stuff on my thread purely for catching jokes ....

RealityCheque Mon 23-Nov-15 03:37:11

I'm all for couples living out their private lives on social media.

It's a quick and easy way for the rest of us to identify complete fuckwits! smile

PerspicaciaTick Mon 23-Nov-15 03:48:39

The whole point of couples communicating via social media is the fact it is played out in public, they are exhibitionists feeding their (joint) egos.
I very much doubt they would bother frothing all over each other if they had to do it face to face without an audience.

BrendaandEddie Mon 23-Nov-15 03:54:54

Avoid these people

mrsmilktray Mon 23-Nov-15 05:07:10

Attention seekers.

Crazypetlady Mon 23-Nov-15 09:37:52

I hate the couples that post about their two/four/six/eight month 'anniversaries'

Enjolrass Mon 23-Nov-15 09:43:23

It's attention seeking, happens on all social media

noclueses Tue 24-Nov-15 00:37:49

thanks for replies! hmm strange they would seek attention in this way, in this case both are interesting people with regards to their jobs and have lots of other things they tweet about, and you'd think that should be enough. I'm also thinking if one half of the couple posts more of this stuff, it's to stake their territory to put off any flirty people tweeting?

Bond, that's just so hilarious! can't believe people do it seriously rather htan as a joke! A POEM telling him off instead of a romantic one, I'd love to read that - and lecturing H in public, just so funny.

Fatmomma99 Tue 24-Nov-15 00:42:00

I was delighted when text and email came in and meant I didn't have to communicate with DH in RL. Don't do FB or twitter, but mentally composing my lists of instructions in case we ever join.....

Fatmomma99 Tue 24-Nov-15 00:43:13

p.s. also, love cc'ing him in on emails, so he can see what I'm broadcasting about him to friends.

CruCru Tue 24-Nov-15 00:46:42

I use Twitter - it's fine if you're selective about who you follow. I follow people like gardening websites, the Bank of England, the Prime Minister, Barack Obama. My newsfeed is probably quite dull (to some) but it is stuff I'm interested in.

If people are doing this on Twitter, unfollow them. They feed off having drama and lots of followers.

SaucyJack Tue 24-Nov-15 07:29:14

I have a friend who used to post normal, everyday business stuff on her new DH's wall. Stuff like "Thinking about these curtains for the spare room" or "Can you pick up X,Y or Z on your way home from work?"

We get it dear. You're married. To an actual person. Well done.

Fallout4fan Tue 24-Nov-15 08:14:13

Husband uses Twitter but I use Facebook and thankfully this means no mushy comments from him on my Facebook making me embarrassed and having to quickly delete them. grin

SelfRaisingFlour Tue 24-Nov-15 08:37:43

I have a Facebook friend, who posts things like "thank you for the delicious dinner tonight (husband)". And he'll post " you're welcome Princess ". FFS you're in the same house. Talk to each other!

Fluffyears Tue 24-Nov-15 08:51:52

Oh I know a couple like that....well she does it he never replies. She was alsointo the 2month. 3month anniversary..,anni-versary means annual therefore yearly!

RonaldMcDonald Tue 24-Nov-15 08:52:06

I have never met any of these people, thankfully

DrGoogleWillSeeYouNow Tue 24-Nov-15 08:56:12

The best sign of a healthy relationship is no sign of it on social media.

It's a any/all of - marking their territory, attention seeking, or fooling themselves - we've all got those 'friends' who, on social media, seem to be living the romantic dream, when in reality we know their relationship is absolute dogshit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now