Talk

Advanced search

FB Group AIBU?

(12 Posts)
Loopylala7 Mon 23-Nov-15 01:02:05

So a while ago I started a FB Group for people to get rid of items locally. Its become quite popular with over 5000 people on. Now I don't mind running it, but should mention am not being paid for doing it. I've set up quite a few guide pages for use, but am starting to get regular messages about time wasters and for me to sort them out. WWYD? is it reasonable to expect the admin to spend several hours a week sorting out time waster offenders? I have sorted a few instances, but its starting to spiral now and I'm beginning to think actually it's not my problem to deal with, they agreed to buy/sell something, why should I be sorting out two grown ups dispute? Can they just agree not to want to sell/buy off that member in future and be done with them? Am IBU? should I be doing this as the admin?

chumbler Mon 23-Nov-15 01:05:26

Write a disclaimer

Also can you make anyone else admin too?

Loopylala7 Mon 23-Nov-15 01:18:46

One of my friends has suggested she might be able to help, but should it be their problem too? Starting to question if I want to bother with it!

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Mon 23-Nov-15 01:19:13

You are the admin and as its your group it's your responsibility, don't want that responsibility close the group down or make someone else admin and leave and block the group.

I suspect Justine of mnhq did expect MN to grow so big, would you expect her not to manage this site and just allow all offensive and trolling on this site because it's got too much to handle

Loopylala7 Mon 23-Nov-15 01:21:28

Doe MN spin a profit?

Loopylala7 Mon 23-Nov-15 01:22:03

*Does

wickedlazy Mon 23-Nov-15 01:24:04

I would imagine they do, from advertising.

Tricky one op.

StrawberryTeaLeaf Mon 23-Nov-15 01:47:01

Yes, chumbler is right, you need a disclaimer. Then refuse to get involved.

I'm imagining something more like transaction problems than trolling. Is that right? Match.com doesn't get dragged in to dating and relationship problems does it? smile No reason you should have to give up hours.

Cloppysow Mon 23-Nov-15 01:55:03

I very much doubt justine is administering the site single handedly in her spare time and it certainly does bring in plenty of money

TheExMotherInLaw Mon 23-Nov-15 02:01:16

I moderate a few Freegle groups, so I know your pain!
Put a pinned post at the top of the page, with any rules - eg, first to comment gets first dibs for 6 hours, or whatever.
Then say 'This group exists simply to put people in touch with each other. The Admins will take no part in any disagreements between members.
Anyone who cannot behave properly on this group will be removed.
Anyone who is not happy with this may leave now.

We have a well run FB selling page in our town - when one person promised something to me, then had sold it to someone else by the time I got there, I tagged the admin in a 'HEY it was promised to me' comment, and they were both removed, and a reminder of the rules sent out. She doesn't have to do this very often - people have learned to behave!

Mistigri Mon 23-Nov-15 05:53:29

Make at least one other person admin, close the group, and ban time wasters.

I help run a large FB group with a group of 5 admins, and we have no problems because we have a zero tolerance rule - if you break the (very simple - mostly about unwanted advertising) rules you get zapped.

00100001 Mon 23-Nov-15 07:22:27

The most successful group I am part of have these rules:

1) Always agree a price and sale in public (e.g. in comments) never do business on PM - save PMs for your address etc.

2) Proof pics are required - e.g you need to have a piece of paper with your username and current date next to the item you're selling

3) Users call each other out and will publicly announce that "001 did not post item/ 001 is a time waster" - self regulation is key!

4) users will also publicly vouch for each other and say in the thread "X arrived today, as described"

Also, put a HUGE pinned disclaimer at the top as a pinned post smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now