Talk

Advanced search

To be a bit freaked out?

(12 Posts)
wowfudge Sun 22-Nov-15 19:22:28

Just dropped DP at station. As we were going, a car pulled up opposite the house and we both commented maybe it was someone checking it out as it's currently for sale.

Anyway, when I got back the alarm has gone off. NDN had texted to let me know but that everything looks secure. I thought I must have mis-set it but the keypad is showing 'tamper' and I can't reset it myself. The company the maintains it - I know the guy from where I used to work - is coming out to sort it out. He said it wouldn't show tamper if I'd done something wrong when I set it.

I'm a bit freaked out. The car opposite has gone and was probably nothing to do with it. I plan to check the estate agents have the keys safe tomorrow morning. Gulp!

Hotpatootietimewarp Sun 22-Nov-15 21:02:57

Oh I don't know op but following to see what the outcome was, I don't think I could have gone back in alone!

HirplesWithHaggis Sun 22-Nov-15 21:03:15

YAB a bit U, the alarm did the job you installed it to do, and kept your home secure. But yes, check the whereabouts of the spare keys.

amarmai Sun 22-Nov-15 21:05:07

someone opened the door to cause this? Maybe was someone from the real estate office ? describe the car and person to them and keep the alarm on while you're in the house.

Haggisfish Sun 22-Nov-15 21:05:07

I would def have waited for someone to come in with me!

DuchessDaisy Sun 22-Nov-15 21:05:31

Could be worth calling 101?

Jhm9rhs Sun 22-Nov-15 21:07:16

I'd be very scared and would call the police.

wowfudge Sun 22-Nov-15 22:22:09

Alarm company were here within the hour - can't fault them, independent local firm; responded to my initial text within about a minute.

There was a fault with the second keypad in the garage which had caused the alarm to go off. As soon as the engineer touched the pad, it went off as it was somehow a bit loose. The anti-tamper device is in case anyone tries the rip the system out, so it was doing its job. He secured it and that fixed the problem.

Anyway, the annual service was overdue so he serviced the system while he was here and didn't charge a call out fee.

Over-active imagination stood down!

wowfudge Sun 22-Nov-15 22:23:25

armarmai I couldn't clear the fault myself so couldn't set the alarm. It was a bit unnerving.

Haggisfish Sun 22-Nov-15 23:09:20

Glad all is well!

amarmai Mon 23-Nov-15 01:45:54

still be wary as you do not know why the pad in the garage was loose. we have this 6th sense for a reason-listen to it. Stay safe op.

wowfudge Mon 23-Nov-15 07:45:50

amarmai - thank you, however the second keypad has always had tape round it since the whole system was reprogrammed and serviced after we moved in (it hadn't been used for at least a couple of years and the people moving out didn't know the code). We've had viewings recently so I can imagine someone's touched it/knocked it or whatever. I'm really not concerned there's something else going on and won't be ringing the estate agents about the keys now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now