Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To absolutely hate winter?

(243 Posts)
millefeuille1 Sun 22-Nov-15 18:57:00

I don't mind the run up to Christmas as the lights and anticipation make it bearable, but January and February?? No! I have no energy and no mojo to make it better. I try so hard to make resolutions - read lots, go to the gym, declutter, plan new menus etc. but it never happens. All I want to do is hibernate.
I do love seeing snow fall (and then hate all the stress of driving in it), but mostly it is damp, dark, grey and cold.
It can't be right to hate a good chunk of the year? What is good about it?

Palomb Sun 22-Nov-15 18:58:43

The fact that it is different? I always think it must be dull as shit to live somewhere without proper seasons where says are the same every day.

In this day of central heating and cheap clothes winter ismtp be enjoyed.

U2HasTheEdge Sun 22-Nov-15 19:00:23

YANBU

I hate it. Hate snow as is turns to slush and ice. It all sucks.

DickDewy Sun 22-Nov-15 19:01:01

Well today was good.

Blue skies, sunshine - it was gorgeous.

We walked to a dog friendly pub and had a couple of drinks in front of their fire. You can't do that in summer.

Now our fire is blazing and candles are lit and we're waiting for our Indian delivery grin

I rather like the winter.

Spilose Sun 22-Nov-15 19:02:19

November and December I like.
But you're right, January and February are utterly miserable.

U2HasTheEdge Sun 22-Nov-15 19:02:37

I'm also not looking forward to defrosting the car early in the morning.

Winter isn't too bad if you never have to go out. Doesn't matter how many clothes I have on, when I'm out in the winter I'm cold and feel like shit.

Timeforanamechangey Sun 22-Nov-15 19:02:44

I agree. Hate it, hate the cold & dark. If I could move somewhere else for 3 months I would, like a bird :D

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 22-Nov-15 19:05:24

January is v.e.r.y.l.o.n..g. OP, I agree. Cold, dark and just February to look forward to!

Branleuse Sun 22-Nov-15 19:06:01

YANBU,

In nearly 40 years I havent managed to get used to it. I love the other three seasons, but I cannot do proper cold, especially when you know its not going to pass for months.

I havent managed to warm up for days. Ive got thermals on, fleece pyjamas, slippers AND the heating on, and I cant seem to get warm

LagunaBubbles Sun 22-Nov-15 19:07:21

Cold and dry I can do but freezing and wet (like it usually is here in west Scotland) I can't abide. I hate January and Febrauary to. Scraping the car for ages in the morning in the dark, the battle to get out if my road if it's freezing and then driving in all conditions home from work, again in the dark....I holidayed in California this year and made the fatal mistake of looking at the weather on the app on my phone today of all the places I had been!

ThatsHowYouGetAnts Sun 22-Nov-15 19:07:22

I love it - all of it. I like the cold, the wet, the darkness and the grey days. It makes me feel all safe, like this is how it's meant to be. Maybe because I was born in February grin

Love winter clothes, too.

I do sympathise, though, because I feel about July / August the way you do about Jan / Feb. It's a slog and it gets me down.

millefeuille1 Sun 22-Nov-15 19:10:30

I do get that one long similar season would be boring (maybe I appreciate the summer more after winter?) but I agree if I could stay in for two months it would be better. Unforunately, work calls....
The evenings get me the most. Long and dark.

notafanofwinter Sun 22-Nov-15 19:11:38

YANBU, see user name wink. I prefer January and February because Spring is round the corner.
I hate the short, dark days, worrying about icy roads and the general gloominess about this time of year.
I hold onto the thought it's only a month until the shortest day then it'll get better.
<<Ponders emigrating to somewhere sunny>>

thedevilinmyshoes Sun 22-Nov-15 19:22:09

winter is hard isn't it but:

open fires
furry throws
woolly socks and tights and hats and jumpers
roasted root vegetables
mulled wine
CHRISTMAS
there might be proper snow
can get to sunnier places outside UK quite cheaply for short breaks
roast pumpkin and red peppers made into spicy golden soup
hot chocolate
gloves
frost
mist
pale wintry sun
the sheer fucking joy of getting into bed each night
it's what makes spring so wonderful when it finally gets here, especially April and May
striped knitted dresses
boots
baked apples with nutmeg, cinnamon and dried fruit and sugar and Greek yoghurt
Central heating
winter sports
sleeping more

thedevilinmyshoes Sun 22-Nov-15 19:27:47

it is the relentlessly grinding greyness I hate

BaronessSamedi Sun 22-Nov-15 19:31:42

YANBU.
i hate it too. i hate the endless dark, wind, cold and rain.
i hate snow too.
my feet are like two ice blocks. they're only warm when i'm in bed.
i wish i lived somewhere warmer.

millefeuille1 Sun 22-Nov-15 19:32:16

Some of that is nice the devil, but I don't like pumpkin, "proper snow" (driving!), gloves (cold hands), mist, boots (I'm a sandals person). I'm a grump.

Branleuse Sun 22-Nov-15 19:32:43

open fires sound nice. Theyre all blocked up in my old victorian rented house though, and its all single glazed bay windows that clatter and the wind whistles through. Fuckin miserable

thedevilinmyshoes Sun 22-Nov-15 19:35:51

I'm a warm climate person too but my pathological positivity forces me to make lists of Nice Things grin

Branleuse Sun 22-Nov-15 19:37:59

yeah i see what you mean. I think that would sound like a lovely short winter holiday for a couple of weeks, and then back to a more civilised climate

thedevilinmyshoes Sun 22-Nov-15 19:42:12

sometimes I would trade my fireplaces for a triple glazed fully insulated modern flat in a small Mediterranean city, south east Sicily where it might get as chilly as 12c but the sun keeps shining

usual Sun 22-Nov-15 19:48:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bunbaker Sun 22-Nov-15 19:53:45

open fires - not in our house
furry throws - no way
woolly socks and tights and hats and jumpers - I would rather wear summer clothes
roasted root vegetables - OK, but no parsnips
mulled wine - This I like
CHRISTMAS - meh
there might be proper snow - even more meh
can get to sunnier places outside UK quite cheaply for short breaks - GCSE year so can't do this
roast pumpkin and red peppers made into spicy golden soup - OK
hot chocolate - - not fussed
gloves - would rather not need them
frost - it's cold and I have to defrost the car
mist - hate it
pale wintry sun - It's better than mist
the sheer fucking joy of getting into bed each night - I don't find getting into bed that joyous
it's what makes spring so wonderful when it finally gets here, especially April and May - Agreed
striped knitted dresses - OK, but no stripes pease
boots - would rather not
baked apples with nutmeg, cinnamon and dried fruit and sugar and Greek yoghurt - Not for me
Central heating - A necessity
winter sports - yawn
sleeping more - no

I hate winter. I hate the cold and I hate driving in the dark.

BathtimeFunkster Sun 22-Nov-15 19:54:35

I like this end of winter - the weather is shite, but it was nice recently and Christmas is on the way and I LOVE Christmas.

Once we're into January I hate it. Hate the cold and dreariness and long wait for Spring.

museumum Sun 22-Nov-15 19:56:18

Take up skiing. Or if you really don't fancy it X country skiing or snowshoeing and gave a week in the Alps or Pyrenees sunshine in February. Honestly it's the best tonic. The cold and sun and fresh mountain air makes you feel so alive!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now