Talk

Advanced search

£62 for 2 adults 2 children airport bus for a quite short journey is ridiculous

(24 Posts)
raranah Sun 22-Nov-15 18:13:09

Its 62 pounds for a return to the airport from bath. I'd like to use it, but it takes longer than the car, is way way more expensive than 28 pounds for a weeks car parking and buses aren't that regular.

I pass it all the time and its usually empty. Apart from pensioners, who get it for free.

This is a crazy amount for a public bus right?

ilovesooty Sun 22-Nov-15 18:27:20

Well drive then.

I take it your real gripe is that pensioners travel free. This seems somewhat familiar.

Sighing Sun 22-Nov-15 18:35:30

Is it the "open" nature of the return? Is a single half that or a lot less. It does sound a lot. The airport bus service I regularly used for part of it's route was similarly priced to other (expensive for a bus but less than parking locally) bus services in the area.

LemonySmithit Sun 22-Nov-15 18:59:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

raranah Sun 22-Nov-15 18:59:24

Thanks sighing, a single is a bit over 5∅%, so 11 per adult and 20 return.

It just seems very high, I'd rather take the bus, reduce cars on the road and emmisions but with being double its a no brainer sadly.

raranah Sun 22-Nov-15 19:04:15

Lem, its quite a short journey

PestoSkiissimos Sun 22-Nov-15 19:05:51

Would a taxi not be cheaper? confused

raranah Sun 22-Nov-15 19:09:24

Taxi would be a tiny bit more, but not much in it!

Branleuse Sun 22-Nov-15 19:11:14

bus is good value if its just one of you. Once you start being two or three ots not worth t

CrohnicallyAspie Sun 22-Nov-15 19:24:28

It does seem a lot- we got a taxi for a 30 minute journey from the train station, late at night, for £25 including a tip.

Mistigri Sun 22-Nov-15 19:32:16

That sort of fare screams "we really don't want to run this service so let's price it out of the market".

They're doing this to my local airport bus, to try to drive everyone onto the much slower and less convenient tram service.

raranah Sun 22-Nov-15 20:20:42

Are you in Edinburgh Misti? That bus service was always fab and good value.

Mistigri Sun 22-Nov-15 20:40:50

raranah no not in the UK (Toulouse) but the reasoning is the same - ramp up the price to destroy demand so you no longer have to run the service (it's absolutely blatant: as soon as the airport tram extension was finished they more than doubled the bus price, it costs more than four times as much to take the bus as doing the same journey by metro + tram).

museumum Sun 22-Nov-15 20:43:03

Edinburgh airport bus is about £3.50! For adults. Family of 4 is probably less than £20 return!

Oysterbabe Sun 22-Nov-15 20:46:12

I assume Bristol airport? It's pretty far from Bath. I reckon a taxi would cost at least £60 each way. It costs £11 return per person from Temple Meads station so maybe get a train to Bristol?

madwomanbackintheattic Sun 22-Nov-15 20:46:24

Price sounds right to me - cheaper than driving for two people, so reducing unnecessary cars wasting resources with single drivers. For those car pooling or with larger families, (where let's face it, flexibility is advisable, at least when you are traveling with my kids) then car is cheaper. I can' think of a more sensible way to price it, to be honest?

ratspeaker Sun 22-Nov-15 20:59:17

Edinburgh airport bus is £4.50 single. Adult

At night theres a 22 night bus at £3 goes through town to Leith.

Tram from airport to city centre £5

LRT bus 35 route £1.50 single.

The LRT buses are cheaper/free if you have a ridacard

Last time we went away we booked parking in advance and took the car, worked out cheaper and easier than getting a taxi in the middle of the night, or co ordinating night buses

raranah Mon 23-Nov-15 06:41:01

Ah that's a shame,must be the same here. Really dont want the service so makes ng the price ridiculous.

No its not cheaper with two adults. Its a small saving on one adult.

PestoSkiissimos Mon 23-Nov-15 12:47:28

If a taxi is only a little bit more I would do that. It's surely worth a little more for the convenience of a door-to-door service.

ZoeTurtle Mon 23-Nov-15 12:56:19

YANBU. Public transport should always be the cheapest option - that would be better for all of us.

On our first trip abroad I did the "right" thing and got public transport all the way from Herts to Gatwick. The next year I paid about £10 extra and drove. Turns out you can put a price on comfort and convenience, and my price is quite high. I still wish I was FORCED to get public transport by it being significantly cheaper, but while it's more expensive or only marginally cheaper, I'm not putting myself through it.

Topseyt Mon 23-Nov-15 13:28:16

It is a lot, I admit.

I would agree that public transport is often priced so that if there is only one person travelling it is better value. The moment you have 2, 3, 4 etc. then driving can again become the cheaper option.

If I am travelling alone I use public transport if it is an option. If we are going as a family we often drive, though we do weigh up the costs carefully before we go, factoring in airport car parking costs too.

We don't live far from Stansted Airport. Near enough that even using taxis there and back is usually cheaper than parking there if public transport is not running.

spritefairy Mon 23-Nov-15 13:37:42

Would the taxi fare be set price or meter price??

dillymill Mon 23-Nov-15 14:34:55

That's expensive. We pay about £25 for 4 single tickets for the easybus from London to Stansted, and that's not even technically public transport (it's a private bus company). But I've noticed that public transport is hugely expensive outside of London. There just isn't the demand for it to make it economical.

When we go to Heathrow it's even cheaper as you can get there on travelcards and free travel for the dcs.

chrome100 Mon 23-Nov-15 14:43:26

That's ridiculous. I live in Leeds and the airport bus is really cheap, about £7 from my house to the airport which is about 10 miles away. Lots of cheaper than a taxi.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: