To think the "but there might be a terrorist attack" doomsayers should stfu

(170 Posts)
PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Sun 22-Nov-15 16:38:48

Because they are in fact spreading terror. hmm I've seen it on here and elsewhere loads. Christmas eve shopping, black Friday sales, concerts, tube journeys... basically, we can't do anything anymore because there might be a terrorist attack... oh no... wait.... that's not right is it?

I also don't think the preppers board is helping either

BlueBlueSea Sun 22-Nov-15 16:41:15

YANBU

All the panic is a bit over the top.

I pointed out to my kids that statistically I am more likely to kill them than a terrorist. I am sure that made them feel better.

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 22-Nov-15 16:43:18

There could be. There could have been at any point with the IRA. You either hide under a bed or you live your life.

Us Preppers don't actually talk a lot about terrorism and we asked for our own board so that everyone could hide us.

ghostyslovesheep Sun 22-Nov-15 16:42:59

YANBU it smacks of making it all about them - it makes me roll my eyes muchly

foxessocks Sun 22-Nov-15 16:43:02

Yanbu. And I hate the preppers board (yes I know I don't have to look at it!)

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Sun 22-Nov-15 16:45:59

Yep. How dare people worry they may get shot/blown up. In fact anyone with any anxiety relating to being killed should just be shot at dawn

IwishIwasinNewYork Sun 22-Nov-15 16:47:18

Well I agree. I'm a born and bred Londoner so I spend my working and leisure time in and around 'danger' areas and I never give it a thought.

But you should be more compassionate.

Some people are genuinely really scared.

I don't think it's very pleasant or helpful to say they should 'shut the fuck up'!

TheFairyCaravan Sun 22-Nov-15 16:49:46

YANBU.

It's driving me mad. It doesn't matter if I come on here, Twitter, Fb etc, there will be someone saying it.

Just STFU already.

Palomb Sun 22-Nov-15 16:52:04

I'm no scared exactly but I have chosen to not to take my kids to places I might normally because I don't want to see them stare down the end of some religious morons gun.

I don let see why that means I should shut the fuck up?

seasidesally Sun 22-Nov-15 16:55:10

yanbu its getting blown (no pun intended)im using it anyway out of proportion

but thankfully mn isnt real life for most

i have spent apleasant afternoon with my friend and our 2 family and was not mentioned once

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 22-Nov-15 16:58:18

YABU

It couldnt be more topical. People should feel free to discuss it if they are anxious.

Kacie123 Sun 22-Nov-15 16:59:20

You could say that about ANYTHING though.

Sorry, but people were always going to be anxious about this stuff and post about it - and it's new people expressing their fears and feelings and needing reassurance each time.

The same could be said for endless threads about noisy neighbours, car parking, breastfeeding issues, etc etc, which pop up umpteen times over and over.

Meanwhile it also makes sense that some people want to try and tackle anxiety ties by buying a few basic necessities and chatting amongst themselves. Couldn't you just hide the preppers board if you hate it so much? the way I have with fashion because it gets my goat too

Kacie123 Sun 22-Nov-15 16:59:39

*Anxieties (thank you autocorrect)

Helmetbymidnight Sun 22-Nov-15 17:02:39

I agree - and I loathe the way they say it like it's very profound or something no one ever has ever contemplated.

I have real dimwits on FB saying things like 'I have been informed that a terror attack is likely'

Thanks, mate. That's very helpful.

SurlyCue Sun 22-Nov-15 17:11:56

I pointed out to my kids that statistically I am more likely to kill them than a terrorist. I am sure that made them feel better.

My view is that if its going to happen then it will happen whether i worry about it or not. The worrying is detrimental to me so i choose not to as it has no effect on the likelihood of an attack.

SurlyCue Sun 22-Nov-15 17:13:06

Im sorry i meant to put a grin after the post i quoted. My own comment after is supposed to be unrelated to the quote. A bit confusing.

howtorebuild Sun 22-Nov-15 17:13:58

Thankfully you can't shut others up.

Helmetbymidnight Sun 22-Nov-15 17:17:19

No you just put them in the spreadsheet in your head as 'insensitive and not very intelligent'.

YouSayWhaaat Sun 22-Nov-15 17:21:00

The moment you stop doing what you would normally enjoy doing with your life is the moment those that would commit these atrocities have won. These acts of senseless violence only become acts of terror if you allow yourself to be terrified.

HortonWho Sun 22-Nov-15 17:26:23

YABU. Why should I bury my hand in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist? Because you don't want to face reality? Yup, could happen anywhere. That's the reality. It's not hype, they've confirmed numerous attempts that have been made already - thankfully those were caught.

Do I think twice about going to a free museum with no X-ray/security to check your bags (like many other museums around the world have )? Yup. It's an easy target. Whether I end I going or not is a separate choice. But let's not pretend.

Helmetbymidnight Sun 22-Nov-15 17:31:32

So you think everyone who doesn't say aloud - 'ooh, you're really going to London? But you know a terror attack is likely!' Is 'burying their heads in the sand' and that it's your duty to encourage them to not work/go out etc etc?

Bizarre.

Allbymyselfagain Sun 22-Nov-15 17:37:04

I remember the rumour they were going to blow up bluewater the Saturday before Christmas a few years ago. I remember it because I had several friends who worked there at the time. They all went to work and thankfully nothing happened.
I remember being told to avoid Leicester Square earlier this year, something was going to happen. It didn't.
I remember being told to avoid tubes on the anniversary of 7/7, terrorists planned to use it as a reminder of how helpless we all were. Nothing happened.
I have equally lived through three separate end of the world prophecies.

What I'm trying to say is there will always be a group of people who hate another group of people, Jihadis vs non believers, ira and English etc etc etc. There will always be the worry that this is the day the moron presses the big red button and ends us. All you can do is live, love and treat everyday as though it is your last. Hiding In fear won't stop it happening, avoiding certain places won't stop it.

You just have to weight up the risks, just like you wouldn't walk through a dangerous part of town after dark, whilst living your life.

MrsPear Sun 22-Nov-15 17:44:00

Yanbu

I am still completely pisssed off that ds1 has has a school trip cancelled due to some hysterical parents. I am sorry but it is pathetic God knows how they would have coped if they lived when the troubles were going on .....

FanjofortheMammaries Sun 22-Nov-15 17:45:18

I think some people enjoy a bit of a wallow in it and the excitement of panicking.

Like the people who said 'oh that could have been me, i was in a restaurant last week ' about the Paris attacks,

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Sun 22-Nov-15 17:48:10

YANBU that kind of thinking is spreading fear and taking our freedom away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now