Talk

Advanced search

Cinema ban on the Lord's Prayer

(1000 Posts)
Leafitout Sun 22-Nov-15 11:39:31

Surely if anyone finds this advert offensive they can choose not to watch it. I can't see the problem with showing it.

VinylScratch Sun 22-Nov-15 11:42:15

What advert is that? I've never seen a prayer shown in a cinema.

AliceScarlett Sun 22-Nov-15 11:42:36

What walk out of the cinema?

They knew it was against cinema policy to not show political or religious adverts, IMO they did it for the publicity.

Oswin Sun 22-Nov-15 11:43:21

The thing is In a cinema its really hard to not watch the advert. You cant just flick it over or walk out the room.

Nataleejah Sun 22-Nov-15 11:44:22

I wonder how many would actually walk out if they saw it

GabiSolis Sun 22-Nov-15 11:45:20

Yeah they knew what they were doing and they knew even asking would whip up a storm. Clever.

Am I offended by it? No. But equally I don't think it has any place whatsoever in a cinema.

JeanSeberg Sun 22-Nov-15 11:45:26

Link here:

www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/22/cinema-chains-ban-advert-featuring-lords-prayer

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Sun 22-Nov-15 11:46:30

Any religious things should not be shown in the cinema. Unless it's a film specifically that has a religious them. Such as the nativity.

Then people can decide if they want to watch that film.

Seriouslyffs Sun 22-Nov-15 11:46:35

To be fair, it's a very captive audience!
But I don't agree with the decision. I've been trying to think of an analogy. It's like banning an advert by PETA against the fur trade or Muslims for giving alms or Quakers,
pacifism.
The advert is here it's very beautiful.

rogueantimatter Sun 22-Nov-15 11:47:02

What could possibly be offensive about it? It's not sexist, racist, homophobic, disablist or anti- anything.

SwedishEdith Sun 22-Nov-15 11:47:10

But why is a cinema an appropriate place for religion?

LilacSpunkMonkey Sun 22-Nov-15 11:47:31

Is it not just pushing religion on people who haven't asked for it?

I go to the cinema for entertainment purposes not religion, thanks.

I think all church services should start with trailers for the latest James Bon film. AIBU?

AuntieStella Sun 22-Nov-15 11:47:35

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34891928

It had been intended as part of 'prayer at christmas' it seems.

Jinglebells99 Sun 22-Nov-15 11:47:43

I went and watched it in YouTube. I'm not offended by it, but equally not inspired by it. It's very dull.

SoupDragon Sun 22-Nov-15 11:50:32

I do wonder how on earth this kind of thing offends people.

If you agree with it, all is good.

If you don't, it's just meaningless words.

rogueantimatter Sun 22-Nov-15 11:50:45

It's vaguely entertaining. Lilac

I don't go to the cinema to have anything pushed on me except the film obviously. All sorts of unwanted things are being 'pushed' on people in cinema adverts.

LineyReborn Sun 22-Nov-15 11:51:36

I had the Lord's Prayer rammed down my throat as a kid to the point where it lost all meaning.

I think on the whole I would like my cinema visits to be religion free.

catfordbetty Sun 22-Nov-15 12:03:37

I was pleased to discover that cinemas do not permit religious or political advertising.

Leafitout Sun 22-Nov-15 12:07:46

How the Lord's Prayer can be seen as having the potential to offend is baffling!

Samcro Sun 22-Nov-15 12:09:23

can we now ban the cliff song?

LilacSpunkMonkey Sun 22-Nov-15 12:10:51

I don't find it offensive but I'm not a religious person and I've always felt that if I wanted religion I'd go to church and find it for myself.

To me, religious ads in the cinema is the same as JWs knocking my door. I don't want it in areas of my life where it has no relevance.

Maryz Sun 22-Nov-15 12:10:58

Surely any ad is pushing things on people who don't want them, Lilac? I can't ask a cinema not to push a 4x4 at me, or a particular brand of perfume on the grounds I don't want them.

I think it's pretty pointless, but I don't find it actually offensive.

MrsDeVere Sun 22-Nov-15 12:17:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

travailtotravel Sun 22-Nov-15 12:17:48

Good. About time CofE realised they don't have exemption because Christianity is different. Proselytising is proselytising whether about the monotheistic or polytheistic faiths. IMHO far more damaging to free speech that we are forced to watch this stuff ( you can't opt out in a cinema!). Can you imagine how much wailing and gnashing CofE would do if the call to prayer was shown in cinemas.
Complete ploy in my opinion!

BoGrainger Sun 22-Nov-15 12:19:04

It is against the organisation's policy to allow political or religious advertising so this is a non-story.

I'm glad it's not allowed because it would only be a short step then until religious advertising became the norm on TV. Everyone saying that the Lord's Prayer is 'harmless' may not be so tolerant of other religions' marketing ploys.

This thread is not accepting new messages.