Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed by "could I be pregnant" posts

(61 Posts)
Natalieday1 Sun 22-Nov-15 10:17:58

Before I get going I am in no way being nasty or judgemental here, just find it amusing when people post the "could I be pregnant" posts, then go on to say how they aren't using protection and had unprotected sex blah blah blah, seems pretty obvious to me based on that alone that yes they could be pregnant so instead of wasting their own time asking us why not go to the doctor and get it confirmed? We aren't going to be able to tell them a definate yes or no over a computer are we? grin

WorraLiberty Sun 22-Nov-15 10:21:11

YANBU

It's not like pregnancy tests aren't sold in shops.

Only1scoop Sun 22-Nov-15 10:22:30

Yanbu

I never click on them. I see the 'can you see a blue line' or similar and just scroll by.

DoreenLethal Sun 22-Nov-15 10:22:43

Q did you have sex?

If yes then of course you could be pregnant.

If no then surely you much know that it is highly unlikely.

A - go get a test and find out.

Natalieday1 Sun 22-Nov-15 10:23:03

Exactly don't know what they hope to achieve by asking us if they could be pregnant, we don't have a crystal ball only a pregnancy test or a doctor can confirm that?

Natalieday1 Sun 22-Nov-15 10:23:48

Doreen that made me laugh cos that's exactly how I look at it we aren't going to be able to tell them any more or any less

MrsFrankRicard Sun 22-Nov-15 10:24:19

Should that not be why not go to the shop for a test to get it confirmed? I don't know why people waste GPs time with this.

Natalieday1 Sun 22-Nov-15 10:25:24

Well yes that too but some surgerys need u to confirm it with a doctors test before u can see a midwife (mines does anyway)

Wolfie2 Sun 22-Nov-15 10:26:36

As someone who struggled with fertility, I think it's quite easy to help people work out if it's a possibility. Some women don't understand about cycles/fertility or ovulation or when you can get a positive pregnancy test.

chelle792 Sun 22-Nov-15 10:27:34

That's interesting. Around here doctors don't want to see you. They set hpt's are as accurate so if you get a bfp at home then that's fine

YesterdayOnceMore Sun 22-Nov-15 10:27:55

Really? I wonder why some surgeries don't trust patients/ pregnancy tests and some do? Do some people in some areas commonly pretend to be pregnant?

Not sarcastic- I am genuinely wondering this!

Natalieday1 Sun 22-Nov-15 10:28:43

But it's only a possibility if they have had sex, surely that's quite obvious to anyone regardless of how clued up u are? At the end of the day only thing that will confirm it is a test..

MrsFrankRicard Sun 22-Nov-15 10:30:49

Interesting how it differs then, in my area you can just phone the surgery and ask for a booking in appointment with the midwife.

BeyondThirty Sun 22-Nov-15 10:30:52

Dont forget the posts after the "could i be pregnant" - the (picture included) "is this a line" thread

I do have sympathy with the not knowing, but there are so many of them!

Natalieday1 Sun 22-Nov-15 10:30:57

Yesterday wondered that myself actually cos if u were to pretend u were pregnant and go straight to the midwife they wouldn't actually know until u got ur first lot of bloods done. Wonder if that has ever happened before? hmm not that I know why anyone would pretend to be pregnant anyway?

Natalieday1 Sun 22-Nov-15 10:32:02

Actually I take that back its not actually the gp you go to for the test to confirm its the nurse, but still it has to be confirmed before midwife will see u..

tappitytaptap Sun 22-Nov-15 10:32:03

I was quite surprised no one retested me at GPs/midwife booking in appt. Though I had done a few (ahem about 10..) positive tests, I still couldn't shake the feeling I was making it up! At my 12 week scan the guy said 'Here is your baby, here's the heartbeat, see you weren't making it up!'. I hadn't said anything at the time so was quite amused!

Oysterbabe Sun 22-Nov-15 10:32:46

I can see the point of some of them. When they talk about their cycle length and when they had sex and if people think it's likely or whatever. Or when they don't trust their own eyes as to whether there's a line, sometimes you squint at them for so long you just don't know anymore.
It's a very exciting / worrying time and sometimes people just want to be able to talk about it and can't really with anyone in RL.
Usually the answer is, give a week and test, or test again. They are a bit silly but I have some sympathy for them.

MamaLazarou Sun 22-Nov-15 10:32:50

YANBU but I can understand the angst of TTC and after years of disappointments and miscarriages I often drive myself bonkers during the 'two week wait'. I do think such posts are better off on the conception board, not AIBU, though, and I don't think anyone's GP is going to do much with "I think I might be pregnant". What's it got to do with the doctor?

Jibberjabberjooo Sun 22-Nov-15 10:33:34

My GP didn't confirm it but I did have to go through them for a midwife referral. The tests used are the same as the ones in the shops.

Yanbu though. Here's a list of symptoms could I be pregnant? Um, do a test.

Oysterbabe Sun 22-Nov-15 10:34:13

When I got pregnant I called the Dr and they had no interest in seeing me, just gave me the number for the midwife.

Natalieday1 Sun 22-Nov-15 10:34:53

Yeah I definately get that some people do just need someone to talk to and I'm not a nasty cold person of course I have sympathy for them but at the end of the day we aren't able to tell them whether a baby is inside them just whether it's possible or not which is something they would know themselves

MaisieDotes Sun 22-Nov-15 10:36:25

I think the "is this a line?" threads are totally different to the "I had unprotected sex a month ago, my period is late, do you think I could be pregnant???" ones.

The former are absolutely fine, IMO. Some people have been ttc for years and they literally can't believe their eyes, and want another opinion.

The latter are just silly. Get a test ffs.

Junosmum Sun 22-Nov-15 10:42:17

I know, just pee on a fucking stick! If it's negative wait a few days and pee on another.

Natalie- no one confirmed my pregnancy, not even the bloods at my first midwife appointment, they were for loads of things but Not a pregnancy test. The confirmation came at my first scan.

Natalieday1 Sun 22-Nov-15 10:44:43

Ah right wasn't sure if the blood tests would show u as pregnant or not..seems silly then when u look at it like that why it doesn't get confirmed before u see a midwife then, dos it's quite possible there would be nutters out there that would pretend they were pregnant right up until the point of the first scan

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: