Talk

Advanced search

To think that a 60 year old should not like a One Direction song

(38 Posts)
Oldsu Sat 21-Nov-15 23:18:53

To be fair I didn't know it was them DH is in the other room watching TV and I heard singing, I like this I thought, who is it, thinking that DH (a music buff) was watching a music channel, went and had a look, bloody 1D on Jonathan Ross , they are young enough to be my Grandsons I should NOT even contemplate listening to them let alone liking the flaming song.

Am I going senile

PS shall download it onto my IPOD

Unreasonablebetty Sat 21-Nov-15 23:20:32

It doesn't matter. If it's liked it's liked.

Destinysdaughter Sat 21-Nov-15 23:22:16

Music is timeless. And Harry is still hot even tho I'm old enough to be his mother..! smile

wowfudge Sat 21-Nov-15 23:22:20

Hmm - it's not the one where they sing the word 'rendezvous' as though it's two completely separate words is it? Irritates me every time I hear it.

squoosh Sat 21-Nov-15 23:22:59

You should hang your head in shame.

Go listen to some Perry Como and repent your sins.

Tapirs Sat 21-Nov-15 23:23:48

YABU you should be listening through your ear trumpet from your bath chair at 60 hmm

CocktailQueen Sat 21-Nov-15 23:24:56

Why on earth not?!

GiddyOnZackHunt Sat 21-Nov-15 23:33:18

What else is in his record collection? Is this a pattern of poor judgement or a one off moment?

mrsmilktray Sat 21-Nov-15 23:34:59

Shouldn't you be listening to it on a casette player at your age?

timelytess Sat 21-Nov-15 23:35:30

Its ok to like music made by young people. I'm 58, and I occasionally do, so I know you're ok on that one. But you shouldn't notice that Harry Styles has lovely shoulders. No.
If you need some young blood, Oldsu, listen to Hozier. The music is so much better. And the boy is beautiful. In a grandson-ly kind of way, of course.

Nobody should like a One Direction song.

So, YANBU. It's time to get help :p

Junosmum Sat 21-Nov-15 23:50:25

I'm almost old enough to be harry style mum, but I'd totally go there. Don't like their music though.

Rafflesway Sat 21-Nov-15 23:52:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rafflesway Sat 21-Nov-15 23:53:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Stratter5 Sun 22-Nov-15 00:01:12

I'm 50 in two years time. sad

<adds Val Doonican albums to Christmas list>

Topseyt Sun 22-Nov-15 00:06:26

I like it. I am nearly 50. Probably old enough to be the mother of them rather than grandmother, but hey-ho.

MakeItRain Sun 22-Nov-15 00:08:21

Well I'm also probably almost old enough to be their Grannie but I do like lots of One Direction songs. However, after reading your post I looked up the latest one and obviously am showing my age because I hate these lyrics. To me it screams "I'd just like a one night stand and if you're ok with that you're perfect" and all I can think is "for goodness sake mythical girl he's singing to, tell him to get lost and find someone who likes you a lot more than that". Oh well. I guess they're not really targeting my age group with their songs.

Oldsu Sun 22-Nov-15 01:10:35

MakeItRain - that's not the words of the one I like which is called Drag Me Down been looking at the video, DH thinks I have gone mad.

It will be on my Ipod (as soon as I find my glasses so I can plug it into my computer).

Mind you I remember loving the Monkees seems my musical taste has not evolved in over 40 years - Harry is very pretty isn't he

m1nniedriver Sun 22-Nov-15 01:19:03

I love this thread!!

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sun 22-Nov-15 01:31:14

Ybvvvvvvvvvvvu. I had a great aunt, who followed the charts and current music until she died aged 71 in 2004. You carry on enjoying 1D's music. It'll keep you young.

TheSkiingGardener Sun 22-Nov-15 04:00:49

I used to do hospital radio in a hospital which mainly catered for older people. We played an awful lot of Neil Diamond but there would be many requests for current boy bands. When we went round the wards the attitude was often "we're allowed to like this too you know!"

I loved doing the ward rounds for requests, made the show much ore interesting.

Euphemia Sun 22-Nov-15 05:13:48

I took DD to see them when she was 10. She's now 13 and like hmm when I remind her how she was going to marry Niall. grin

Best not tell her I'm going to buy their new album ... blush

I love Drag Me Down!

Kittymum03 Sun 22-Nov-15 05:19:19

When I worked in a care home,the elderly ladies used to like the local radio on.So '80's to today',I think it is.. Comments like 'This sounds like a modern one,I like it' and 'This one is good,is it one of those new boy bands?' and they would be bopping away in their seats smile They had the daily paper so I would show them 1D and they would say things like 'Ooh they are pretty aren't they'
Once though,I heard a lady telling her (very posh) daughter 'Oh we were having a little dance to.. The direction? Young lads from the paper' and you know what,the daughter came and said to me 'Whatever cd you've been playing,I don't think it's apropriate.It's a rest home,not a disco.I was shock and sad

Kittymum03 Sun 22-Nov-15 05:21:36

That was 'It's a rest home,not a disco'

StrawberryTeaLeaf Sun 22-Nov-15 05:30:12

'It's a rest home,not a disco'

That'll be why she wasn't living with the thief-of-joy daughter then wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now