Talk

Advanced search

To wish they'd made an effort to stay sober

(6 Posts)
upaladderagain Sat 21-Nov-15 19:56:18

This afternoon Dh and I were supposed to be meeting Dd's bfs parents and siblings for the first time.
Instead we had a message from dd to say bfs family had been drinking since 1 o'clock and were shit-faced, and we should maybe give it a miss.
From what we hear they drink a LOT, as well as taking recreational drugs.
Is it unreasonable to think they could have waited until this evening if they wanted to get wasted?
Personally I'd rather have tea and scones of an afternoon than tequila slammers.
Don't get me wrong, me and Dh enjoy a drink or three, but surely ther's a time and place?

Busybuzzybumblebee Sat 21-Nov-15 20:05:35

Id say it's very rude if you know you're meeting people to get hammered first, does your dds bd drink and take drugs like his family, if so that would concern me

AshleyWilkes Sat 21-Nov-15 20:07:32

YANBU
It's rude. My FIL is an alcoholic. We used to tolerate all the times he would turn up steaming drunk at our house when invited for dinner etc. Not anymore. He doesn't value his time with us enough to stay sober and it sounds like your dd's inlaws are the.

upaladderagain Sat 21-Nov-15 20:19:03

B/f has stayed with us a lot over the last 4 years, and usually only has one drink. Although like 99% of young people he will very occasionally have too much. Both kids are quite disapproving of his parents lifestyle, and rarely see them, although they do go away for a weekend with them once a year. I takes them days to recover!
Tbh I'm not sure we're really bothered about meeting them now, though a whole new can of worms will open up if/when there's a wedding to plan.

alleypalley Sat 21-Nov-15 20:27:07

Me and dh have been married 8 yrs and have 2 dc. Our parents have yet to meet.

seasidesally Sat 21-Nov-15 20:29:34

YANBU and it was very rude of them to get in a state where a planned engagement has to be called of

the drug aspect dosent sound great either

sorry your day was messed up op

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now