Talk

Advanced search

...24 gifts...making me want to weep

(50 Posts)
SummerHouse Sat 21-Nov-15 19:03:32

IAB (a little) U to share this as its not my idea. And its a TAAT.... But I can't help myself!

A lovely woman on another thread just explained that she buys 24 gifts for her mum to open on each day of December in the run up to Christmas. This is following the loss of her dad so a lonely time. She puts in candles and books and treats.

...and she gets her mums neighbour to deliver it in the night.

Just such a beautiful idea.

What would you add? santa

OneMillionScovilles Sat 21-Nov-15 19:17:22

A grip?

OneMillionScovilles Sat 21-Nov-15 19:18:41

Nah I'm teasing - it's a lovely thought between a mum and daughter, I'm just not sure what you're really asking smile

Supermanspants Sat 21-Nov-15 19:18:49

Lovely idea.
OneMillion Was that really necessary FFS?

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sat 21-Nov-15 19:24:11

Yes. I don't want this to turn into a pick on "*onemillion*" night, but I do have to second Superman "Was that necessary.!
What would I add.
Nail varnish.
Nail files
Lip balm

tiredandhungryalways Sat 21-Nov-15 19:26:05

That is the sweetest thing and made me smile how very lovely

tiredandhungryalways Sat 21-Nov-15 19:28:01

I would add chocolate, furry slippers,lip gloss, bits of make up,

GabiSolis Sat 21-Nov-15 19:28:01

That's a very sweet idea. What about some costume jewellery or miniature bath sets?

OneMillion that was totally uncalled for. Saying you're joking doesn't make it okay.

SummerHouse Sat 21-Nov-15 19:31:35

Yy to furry slippers. And a family picture dug out of somewhere that's not been seen for years. santa

SheGotAllDaMoves Sat 21-Nov-15 19:33:29

I like to give my Mum quite a few gifts ( not 24 though).

I usually give her something she wants/needs/requests. This year a hand bag ( very light weight).

Then I'm collecting things for her. A calendar ( country file), a diary, slippers, CDs, PJs, a framed photo of DC, a tree decoration, a book of poetry, nail varnish, perfume.

MaisieDotes Sat 21-Nov-15 19:40:15

< Puts arm around onemillion >

It's a nice idea but the recipient would have to be er, receptive I suppose.

My dad is on his own but he wouldn't like a present a day for the month of December. He doesn't like a fuss.

That said it's a nice way of letting someone know you're thinking of them.

tiredandhungryalways Sat 21-Nov-15 19:43:11

I love stuff like this will add small mirror for handbag embellished pen for bag think accesssorize do them hot water bottle with those nice patterns teapot bath bombs from lush

HicDraconis Sat 21-Nov-15 19:45:50

My sister did something similar for me in the run up to a major exam. I had a huge box arrive in the post, with something to open every day as a break from studying. She put in small books, chocolate, newspaper cuttings, hair bits and bobs, pens, shower gel, earrings - was amazing. Gave me something to work towards in my revision timetable and lightened up the day when it was all turning to custard.

StayWithMe Sat 21-Nov-15 19:45:46

Poor onemillion You'd think you'd kicked the cat the way people are responding grin

It sounds like a lovely, but expensive, idea. What about doing it for the 12 days of Xmas instead?

Rinoachicken Sat 21-Nov-15 19:45:48

That is such a wonderful idea - now thinking of how I could do this for my own MIL who is also alone for most of december (until she comes to us for Christmas)

SummerHouse Sat 21-Nov-15 19:46:32

Love these lovely ideas! I am adding a miniature bottle of red. wine

SummerHouse Sat 21-Nov-15 19:51:40

But does not have to be expensive. A book you love from your bookshelf or charity shop for example or feel good film from same.

SummerHouse Sat 21-Nov-15 19:53:07

Yy rino I just wish we could have done this for DPs grandma who we lost this year.

mmmm67 Sat 21-Nov-15 19:53:19

I thought you meant 24 gifts to open on each day - and then I was thinking that was a little excessive! Now I understand one for each of 24 days...that is very nice.

NoTechnologicalBreakdown Sat 21-Nov-15 20:03:08

Almost completely irrelevantly, I do something similar for my kids over festive season. Start on solstice day, end somewhere either new years day or twelfth night, they get one a day and maybe two on the big days, depending on how many they have altogether. Spreads the joy, and they don't get bored so quickly. Can just be books or a really nice t-shirt.

OneMillionScovilles Sat 21-Nov-15 20:03:28

Oh, guys - I'm sorry, it was a very ill-judged tongue-in-cheek response. Emphasis on ill-judged. Really didn't mean to be mean or upset anyone. Sorry SummerHouse <proffers wine and chocolate>

IjustGotmy2016diary Sat 21-Nov-15 20:04:15

My sister doesn't buy my boys a Christmas present. Instead she does them an advent sack with a little gift to open each day.

RachelZoe Sat 21-Nov-15 20:04:32

We do this in our house, extreme advent calendaring we call it grin

redexpat Sat 21-Nov-15 20:04:51

V common in Denmark. Kids get a little something every day of advent - but then they dont get a stocking at Christmas. DS has got a lego city one this year. Apparently it makes them fly out of bed in the dark cold december mornings.

You know you can buy gin advent calendars right? With a little tipple for each of the 24 days.

7Days Sat 21-Nov-15 20:06:13

you will need to offer another 22 little things round OneMillion,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now