Talk

Advanced search

To create a record of achievement for my "can't be arsed" son?

(14 Posts)
MsRamone Sat 21-Nov-15 17:41:39

My son is 16. Has always been a scruffy sod, has never been one for organization or presentation and I've just found his GCSE certificates on his bedroom floor getting mucky and creased up.
The annoying bit about it is they are bloody good grades!! I know in a couple of years when he's applying for uni/jobs he'll regret the way he's treated them.

I know it's encouraging his lazy attitude but WIBU for me to buy him a leather "record of achievement" folder and fill it with his certificates and maybe even a brief CV for christmas? I'm sure he'd love it as he does have a bit of a superiority complex grin but he's just too lazy to make it himself!

Or am I being a helicopter that needs to but out of it?

HeartShapedBox Sat 21-Nov-15 17:44:30

I'd stick them in a drawer or something for safekeeping, but I wouldn't bother with a leather folder.

SweetAdeline Sat 21-Nov-15 17:47:36

I'd put the certificates in a large envelope somewhere safe. I don't remember ever having to actually show them for jobs.

Writing his cv (as opposed to helping him with it) is a bit helicoptery imo.

Kleinzeit Sat 21-Nov-15 18:15:13

All my DS's certificates go into a multipocket folder. My folder smile. Well, all except for one from winning a competition which I didn't take off him fast enough and which we've never found. I didn't care about certificates when I was his age, it's only now I see why they matter.

SquinkiesRule Sat 21-Nov-15 18:22:29

I saw a nice file folder thing in Asda it has plastic pocket pages in and was reasonably priced I want to say something like £3 had enough page/pockets to hold all kinds of his important papers and certificates.
I was thinking of getting one for Ds, his certificates are in a drawer, and now he has more from college no idea where he shoved those.

nooka Sat 21-Nov-15 18:28:33

I really don't get this. Pick up the certificates and stick them in a drawer. Job done. I am in my forties and have never for any reason had to show my O or A level certificates, in fact I never even received three of them. I just list them in my CV (or did, I don't any more).

If you want to give him a leather folder and suggest he use it for his certificates then go for it of course, but really it's no big deal if his certs get a bit scruffy looking.

Of and of course you shouldn't write his CV for him!

Gatehouse77 Sat 21-Nov-15 18:41:37

Each of mine have an A4 folder with all their certificates from school, ballet, sporting events, etc. in those plastic pouches to keep them clean.

They love getting them out now and then to look through. I like the 'order'!

DS's GCSE certificates are currently in an envelope but will make their way into his box (again, each have their own) of memory stuff - school reports, concert tickets, school performance programmes, etc.

Lastly, they have another box (can you tell I like to be organised?!) with school books they want to keep which, periodically, I get them to go through as some stuff they realise they don't want to keep as they get older - like mental arithmetic books!!

Saukko Sat 21-Nov-15 18:59:24

I remember my school giving us Records of Achievement, with various gubbins like Third Place in Poetry Competition in, or Bronze in the 200m, and trying to convince us employers would want to see it.

I never took it anywhere and don't actually remember needing to bring my GCSE, A Level or Degree anywhere (the degree never came out of its envelope.)

So no, just file them away and do NOT write him a CV.

Noodledoodledoo Sat 21-Nov-15 19:35:58

Mine are all in a folder - it used to be the red Leatherette folder I was given at school but I changed it.

I have had to show my degree certificate for all three of my jobs, and my GCSE certificates for one of them ironically my GCSE Maths one for my job as a Maths Teacher!!!

Agree don't write the CV for him - maybe buy him a write your CV book for Christmas instead!

catfordbetty Sat 21-Nov-15 20:35:46

I think the folder and writing of the CV are good ideas - you may get him to take a different view of himself and his achievements. Those things alone IMO, would not make you a helicopter parent.

Aeroflotgirl Sat 21-Nov-15 21:48:04

Stick them in a folder and help him to write his CV, not do it for him.

ConferencePear Sat 21-Nov-15 22:01:50

Do put them somewhere safe. There seems to be an increasing trend for them to be asked for.

whois Sat 21-Nov-15 22:07:58

I had to show them on my first day of work, everyone did. Big 4 accountancy.

So yeah, probably a good idea to put them in a folder!

whois Sat 21-Nov-15 22:08:41

Writing his CV is defo a helicopter parent thing. helping him to write his own CV woukd be a good thing to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now