Talk

Advanced search

Christmas presents displayed across facebook?

(25 Posts)
ssd Sat 21-Nov-15 11:09:54

is it just me who thinks this is all LOOK AT ME

and also big birthday presents, all spread out and a picture taken and put on fb....I mean like a 50th or 40th, not a kids party

now dont get me wrong, I cant stand fb and am never on it, but I was talking to someone who thinks this is a great idea and very sociable...cos they do it

isnt it mega show offy?

ghostyslovesheep Sat 21-Nov-15 11:10:42

but Facebook is really all 'look at me' isn't it - maybe just don't go on it for a bit?

LimboNovember Sat 21-Nov-15 11:13:07

I have to say only a few people do this on my FB but when I see it, I just think " lucky child, how exciting for them" and it makes me feel happy.

I dont have a negative reaction to it

TaliZorah Sat 21-Nov-15 11:14:26

What a horrible cynical view OP.

I tend to be happy for the person.

WorraLiberty Sat 21-Nov-15 11:15:29

I have more of a negative reaction to Facebook threads on MN, than I do to anything I've ever seen on Facebook grin

And it's only going to get worse between now and new year's day.

JumpandScore Sat 21-Nov-15 11:16:27

None of my FB friends have done this yet. Not one. I tend to agree, it wouldn't impress me and it is a bit braggy, but you do get to choose your friends.....

SoupDragon Sat 21-Nov-15 11:18:22

This thread again? Already?

If you don't like the present posts on FB, hide them and move on. Just like I am about to do here...

Yankeetarts19 Sat 21-Nov-15 11:23:03

Does it really matter what other people do

usual Sat 21-Nov-15 11:26:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fuzzpig Sat 21-Nov-15 11:43:23

I wouldn't do it myself but just kind of think 'meh' when I see others do it, not really bothered

KeepOnMoving1 Sat 21-Nov-15 11:45:26

Again?

chantico Sat 21-Nov-15 11:47:15

Someone has a pile of presents to display as early as 21 November shock

Yes, that's definitely premature Christmastide. How will they keep the little beasts off them for over a month? Or have they been displayed specifically to get premature pix and discussion!

iwantbrewstersmillions Sat 21-Nov-15 11:51:08

Bloody hell.

You know what people use Facebook to show family etc their life. If you don't like them. Delete them

Sighing Sat 21-Nov-15 11:56:07

Meh. People take pictures of what they value.
Some people are proud of different things to me.
Everyone's different. Still true I guess.

Nataleejah Sat 21-Nov-15 12:03:50

Here...

witsender Sat 21-Nov-15 12:09:58

Tacky. I would never comment, just unfollow.

tobysmum77 Sat 21-Nov-15 12:11:30

I never see it as showing off, its just that they are excited about the event surely?

Yankeetarts19 Sat 21-Nov-15 12:12:28

You would unfollow someone for putting pictures on their own Facebook wall

ohtheholidays Sat 21-Nov-15 12:21:55

It honestly doesn't bother me and there's been times in the past when I lived off of 20pence worth of food a day so that I could feed my children and keep them warm.

Even then I wouldn't have been horrible about it,I always felt relief knowing that I didn't know anyone else in my circle of friends or family that was going through what I was going through.

I've always looked at the pictures and liked them,for some it's a huge step up for them financially,emotionally,mentally in they're lifes that they can now afford to spend more money on they're children for Christmas and Birthdays.For some it means they're lifes and the lifes of they're children are no longer chaotic.Which can only been a positive thing and which is something I want to know about and I want to celebrate with them when they're lifes have turned around so much and started being what they need and deserve for themselves and they're children. smile

The same as with adult birthdays,I'm glad that my friends are thought of on they're birthdays,I'm glad they have partners that think to buy them something nice from themselves and the children for they're birthdays and that they have the kind of relationships with they're friends and familys where they remember they're birthdays and want to choose that day that they think about them and care about them so want to help them celebrate they're birthday.I've always seen it as a positive thing not a negative one.

Mintyy Sat 21-Nov-15 12:26:59

Yanbu. I'm inclined to agree. There is no explanation for it other than being showy offy and I just don't like flash people.

(But this is at least the second thread this week on this subject).

usual Sat 21-Nov-15 12:34:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Grumpyoldblonde Sat 21-Nov-15 14:01:09

I know all my facebook friends, I know their circumstances and how they live, and I like to see pictures of happy people, I enjoy the pics, and only a few of my circle do it, to show that little jimmy loves his new bike, or that my friend is wearing the top someone gave her. I don't do it but it doesn't bother me one jot.

RoseWithoutAThorn Sat 21-Nov-15 16:15:22

I don't think it's "look at me" at all. My friend got engaged after a horrendous divorce and shitty life. I loved seeing her beautiful ring. I posted a photo of the jeep I got for Christmas last year. It was my dream car and DH had worked his ass off to get it for me so why shouldn't I post a photo of it? To be honest if you don't like photos people post just delete them.

Stripyhoglets Sat 21-Nov-15 18:31:26

I love seeing the pictures of presents waiting when Father Christmas has been - I post ours so that relatives who live far away can see what we are doing at Christmas. They care and like to see pics. If that sort of thing annoys you then why use Facebook!

Stripyhoglets Sat 21-Nov-15 18:32:48

It's really not done to be showy offy though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now