Talk

Advanced search

To ask if there are any mobile hairdressers/nail techs/beauty therapists on here?

(7 Posts)
Backtonature Fri 20-Nov-15 21:45:34

I am thinking of making a career change to beauty or hair, is this a job that can fit into school hours or am I kidding myself? Any advice appreciated!

chipsandpeas Fri 20-Nov-15 21:56:10

im not one but if have to say whenever i have had a mobile hairdresser or nails done it would be after work or at the weekend

but there may be a need out there as some salons etc are pretty full a lot of the time

SzeliMac Fri 20-Nov-15 22:56:26

School hours are available in some salons but Saturday's are rarely negotiable for new starters plus side is most salons are open 9.30 onwards so you could do one school run at least and often part time roles are available.

Down sides are the money is pap in a salon until you get to owning your own and if you want to go freelance you need a good support network and a lot of drive and be able to do a lot of unsociable hours.

I'm a makeup artist offering beauty and hair treatments and I only kept my business going after DS by having DH as a SAHD.

IF however your DP is the main bread winner and this is just for an additional bit and not needed to rely on for bills etc then you could freelance around your DPs job and it'd be grand

Backtonature Sat 21-Nov-15 09:06:12

Thank you for the replies, it is giving me food for thought!

Enjolrass Sat 21-Nov-15 09:40:22

My aunty did this.

But her business didn't take off until her ds was old enough to leave I a Saturday or evening. Aw that's the time most customers wanted.

Her ds is now 18 so she works a lot, usually 6 days a week and is booked back to back

Sighing Sat 21-Nov-15 09:43:58

The hairdresser I use has the local sheltered housing as her regulars. It keeps her fairly busy. A friend who is disabled also finds it easiest to access those services at home as all the chairs are suitable.

YouMakeMyDreams Sat 21-Nov-15 09:49:29

My friend quite successfully does mainly school hours but she is also aware she has to be flexible as well and will do evening and weekends if she needs to. Especially at busy times of the year.
It took a while to build up a client base and working hours were a bit trial and error. She was also in a position that her Dp earns enough to allow her that freedom until things room off a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now