Talk

Advanced search

Bloody silica gel packets

(13 Posts)
ItsAllAboutTheCakes Fri 20-Nov-15 20:30:18

Just opened a package containing 6 individually bagged pair of pyjamas that I bought online.
Opened them all to have a look at sizing and tried one of the tops on (was in the living room with dc's 2 & 6)
Picked up all the bags and noticed three packs of silica gel on the couch. Went upstairs to look at the top size in the mirror so checked if one had dropped out on the stairs and found one in my bedroom! And also found one in amongst the bags so I've found 5.
Had no idea they where in there or I'd have been more careful.
I've looked everywhere they could have positively fallen/ been and can't find a sixth one. Had all the couches and cushions out and no sign.

I'm paranoid there's still one round somewhere and with ds being only 2 I'm worried he might get hold of it.

How dangerous is silica gel? Should I ransack the house top to bottom just incase?

ItsAllAboutTheCakes Fri 20-Nov-15 21:42:57

Just found some info online that said they're non toxic, anyone got any idea I'd that's true?

Mmmmcake123 Fri 20-Nov-15 22:21:48

I don't know but most online searches say the gel is not toxic (albeit unpleasant to eat as it soaks up the saliva in your mouth). The sachets are reported as being a choking hazard.
I haven't a clue if there is regulations regarding what is contained in the packet tho.
Sorry not much help.

Mmmmcake123 Fri 20-Nov-15 22:26:32

Signs of poisoning are on the NHS website, i.e. vomiting, nausea, dehydration, stomach pains, drowsiness and fainting. Silica gel is not mentioned as a poison (doesn't mean it isn't perse but they are common).

pestilence13610 Fri 20-Nov-15 22:31:06

Advice given by nurse after DD1 fed DS1 silica sachet, in a cup of pretend tea.
Lots of water, so it slides through rather than tries to dehydrate him, but the gel is non toxic.

ItsAllAboutTheCakes Fri 20-Nov-15 22:34:22

Ok thanks, have searched the area it could have been anyway and couldn't fine it and retraced my footsteps and not there either so I'm assuming one was missed put of packaging or something. Will keep a close eye out incase ds picks it up but good to know it's not toxic.

Mrsnoo72 Fri 20-Nov-15 22:35:29

Hi, worry not! I once turned around in a shoe shop (Russell and Bromley no less) to find my 1 year-old happily munching on a sachet of silica gel. Cue panicked phone call to NHS 24 whilst the shop staff visibly paled and muttered amongst themselves. should have been more bloody careful in the children's department obviously they were very concerned as to the health of my toddler, and not at all worried re potential lawsuits and possible job loss...
Anyway, NHS doc confirmed that silica gel in non-toxic and should cause no problems at all, and DS was absolutely fine. He ate a lily flower another day and had to be rushed to hospital, but that's another story!
Was I cruel not to let the shop know until the next day that he was ok?! Thought would remind them to watch a bit better what they left lying around when babies are crawling all over the place...wink

Stoneagemum Fri 20-Nov-15 22:45:08

Tastes sweet and salty iirc from my youth, I remember mum saying I shouldn't of eaten it as it is poisonous but the sent me to bed. No ill effects no trip to a&e so I think mum was just trying to scare me as I was fine afterwards

Buxtonstill Sat 21-Nov-15 06:06:58

MrsNoo.
It was dreadful that you did not let them know just to try and teach them a lesson because your child had been not attended to correctly by yourself. If you had been watching him then you would have seen him pick it up. Why should shops have to take responsibility for a 'crawling baby'. It is a shop, not a crèche. If you let your child crawl around a shop then be prepared for anything that is on the floor that may be a choking hazard. A coin or a sweet a customer has dropped, a piece of shop fitting that has come loose.

Brioche201 Sat 21-Nov-15 08:29:45

It is not their job to watch your toddler or baby proof their shop

ItsAllAboutTheCakes Sat 21-Nov-15 09:11:12

Thanks for your replies eveyone. Still no sign today so think it must have been missed put of packages

Sighing Sat 21-Nov-15 09:22:17

Save them up. They're handy if you have a spill in the car to soak the excess moisture out of the atmosphere on the cold mornings as car spills tend to take a while to dry out. Also handy if you have a Ford focus with the typical leaky hatchback problem.

ItsAllAboutTheCakes Sat 21-Nov-15 10:01:42

Haha good thinking sighing! Dh actually has a little bit of a leak in his car atm causing a bit of condensation in the mornings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now