Talk

Advanced search

Facebook .. another "Please share!"

(22 Posts)
ScribblerOnTheRoof Fri 20-Nov-15 12:43:48

Just had the following status turn up in my news feed. I can't help but think the second sentence is awfuly and lazily written!

AIBU?

Nothing is more painful than watching someone at the end of their life or loose their life because of cancer. Trying to look good, but after chemo and radiation, you know the person is physically changed and they're in shock!! I know many of you do not give a hoot about this message because, of course, the cancer has not touched you. You do not know what it's like to have fought the fight or had a loved one who leads a battle against cancer. For all the men and women I know, I ask you a small favor and only some of you will do it... If you know someone who has led a battle against cancer, still struggling or who passed, please add this to your status for one hour as a mark of respect and remembrance. Copy and paste to support victims and families affected by cancer. From your phone or tablet, Hold your finger on the message to copy and paste on your page. Please no tagging or sharing

Fluffyears Fri 20-Nov-15 12:47:21

I ignore these and the spelling mistake in the first sentence would make me even more inclined to ignore it.

TwoSmellyDogs Fri 20-Nov-15 12:57:35

I'd defriend the emotional vampire who posted that tbh - and I have done exactly that - more than once!
I know someone in that situation - a young woman with a very rare cancer and she'd be horrified if any of her friends posted that shit.
And the 'LOOSE' instead of 'LOSE'. Can never understand that particular error - they don't even sound the same.
YANBU - the whole thing is beyond awful.

DawnOfTheDoggers Fri 20-Nov-15 13:06:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nabootique Fri 20-Nov-15 13:09:59

I had this pop up in my news feed last week, I think. I ignored it. It doesn't achieve anything! Really, what is the point? And I have been affected by cancer, not myself, but people I love have had it.

x2boys Fri 20-Nov-15 13:17:59

ignore it cant stand all the dont scroll dont without saying amen bollocks either if you do your heartless ? how excactly am i heartless ?

FinallyHere Fri 20-Nov-15 13:20:11

Never been moved to comply with this type of request, as I really can't see how it would help anything. I do find great sympathy for anyone who is reduced to do this, as i guess they must be at a very low ebb.

ScribblerOnTheRoof Fri 20-Nov-15 13:22:01

My colleagues Dad had cancer and so did her mother. She is the person who posted it but I refuse to share

StrawberryTeaLeaf Fri 20-Nov-15 13:38:29

What is it for? Is it a weird exhibitionistic emotional incontinence? Or something else?

rogueantimatter Fri 20-Nov-15 13:40:27

I don't mean this in a horrible way, but everyone usually has someone very close to them who is affected by cancer.

PunkrockerGirl Fri 20-Nov-15 13:45:16

I'd ignore it. I lost both my parents to cancer and my brother is terminally ill with it. Things like this are just pathetic and the 'friends' who post them are best deleted. I'll do my grieving quietly and with dignity, thanks.
OP, Yadnbu.

bleedingheart Fri 20-Nov-15 13:48:00

I just don't understand the point of this or the photos x2boys mentions.

Wtf difference does it make? Isn't it condescending?

At least it wasn't in the form of a Minion quote I suppose hmm

overwhelmed34 Fri 20-Nov-15 13:51:04

Is it similar to 'like farming'? Either way I loathe it! The worst are the ones when it's obvious the picture has just been lifted from somewhere else. One popped up on mine last week 'even being down syndrome Clare managed to graduate, how many likes for her?' I mean a) BEING down syndrome?! And b) a quick google revealed her name was not even Clare. And thousands of people had posted congratulations..I wanted to comment but didn't want to become part of it.

Not really the same as your thing op, but I'm new to Facebook and all this stuff really surprised me!

paulapompom Fri 20-Nov-15 13:52:04

Agree with punk and others. I don't see how it helps anyone and it's a big guilt trip. Think most of us affected probably do something anyway, donating or volunteering or whatever we can. I'd just ignore x

catfordbetty Fri 20-Nov-15 13:54:32

I think we used to call these chain letters.

mrsjanedoe Fri 20-Nov-15 13:55:22

Seriously, why do you care? People facebook pages are personal, if you don't like them, just defriend them. Why should there be a facebook police, and more importantly, who will chose the rules?
too many photos, too many jokes, too many achievements, too many holidays, too many pets, too many posts, not enough posts, not enough photos... there will always be someone moaning against you.

I personally really do not see the point at all of these posts, and I just completely ignore them, but that's it. Some friends seem to think they showing support or respect, let them be, really who does it hurt?

NeuNewNouveau Fri 20-Nov-15 14:07:39

I generally hate the please share crap however, this is my favourite post to share grin grin

Please copy and paste this to your status if you're constantly being asked to copy and paste things to your status by friends who copy and paste things to their statuses. Many people won't copy and paste this, but my truly sarcastic friends will copy and paste it because they're sarcastic by nature. If you don't copy and paste it, then this means you hate bacon. And if you hate bacon, the terrorists win. And a unicorn dies. Possibly kittens as well.

StayWithMe Fri 20-Nov-15 14:17:20

I like that Neunew

Strangely enough I've been getting less "1 amen = 1 prayer, 1 like = $5" since posting this. Who actually believes this shit? I'm picturing god having a Facebook. grin

*This is Little Timmy.

Little Timmy needs a poo, and unless we do anything to help, he's going to shit his pants.

There's only one thing that will stop this. If he gets 100,000,000,000,000 Likes and Shares on Facebook then Little Timmy won't shit his pants. This is because Likes and Shares have miraculous fucking properties.

Please help. Please Like and Share this picture, and help stop Little Timmy from shitting his pants.

97.4592% of people won't Share this picture. If you don't share this picture then Little Timmy will shit his pants and you will go to hell.*

foragogo Fri 20-Nov-15 14:22:15

Those share things are often a scam - people make money based on how many hits or likes they get, people sell popular pages with lots of hits = peoples names and email addresses, to matketing and scamming companies.

megletthesecond Fri 20-Nov-15 14:22:56

My dad died of cancer. I still roll my eyes at fb nonsense like that. I do productive things like giving money to cancer charities or the hospice, that's going to do far more to help people than a fb post.

Thundercrackers Fri 20-Nov-15 14:34:37

I hate these. As if anyone who really felt touched by something as awful as cancer would feel any comfort from someone on Facebook copying and pasting some badly spelled nonsense like that. I hate the tone of it at the end, it's as if they are trying to persuade you that it's not much bother, sympathising with others about cancer only takes a few seconds - you can be on your way again, scrolling past cat videos in a moment. Hate it.

Skiptonlass Fri 20-Nov-15 16:25:31

These things are scams to harvest profile info.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now